DJM, the end.

BR Blue

6 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Sorry I think you have misinterpreted what I meant, as the magazines ran adverts as paid for by DJM there may be some crowdfunders who only knew and supported the projects via the magazine info/ advert so this may be the only way they find out the company is no more via a magazine article. I meant no more than that.

And this is precisely what I meant earlier about the liquidator posting notices in the same media that DJM advertised in, to reach his crowdfunders that don’t inhabit RMWeb. 

But it this is a job to be coordinated by the liquidator. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The best bit of this thread is that every day I visit Phil's workbench to see what he's been building today.

I knew something good would come out of this thread. I've started to do the same

Thank you

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, truffy said:

But it this is a job to be coordinated by the liquidator. 

I think this is the most important point - the whole matter is in the hands of the official liquidator. It's up to them to run the show now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Just read that - after Dave's opening post there's not a single contribution from him, very weird!

There was also the competition associated with the 92 as well, you could win a pair(?) of tickets on the Caledonian Sleeper. That all went a bit quiet too!

• Funny 2

I've been a VAT registered sole trader for many years. I've always been under the impression that a deposit has VAT levied on it ??

Looking at the pdf of the invoice DJM sent to a forum member in the APT thread, it didn't seem to have a VAT number (or address) visible  which is a legal requirement for a valid invoice from a VAT registered business.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, maico said:

I've been a VAT registered sole trader for many years. I've always been under the impression that a deposit has VAT levied on it ??

Looking at the pdf of the invoice DJM sent to a forum member in the APT thread, it didn't seem to have a VAT number (or address) visible  which is a legal requirement for a valid invoice from a VAT registered business.

Is DJ Models registered for VAT and if so have you or anyone else checked the VAT number is valid? Here in  South Africa we can check a VAT number on line on the tax authorities website.

20 minutes ago, Cape Town Trev said:

Is DJ Models registered for VAT and if so have you or anyone else checked the VAT number is valid? Here in  South Africa we can check a VAT number on line on the tax authorities website.

Apparently so:

© 2018 DJ Models Ltd. Registered in England & Wales: 08601496 VAT number: 182275891

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

You can't claim back VAT, unless you've got a VAT registration. The first thing I did as a sole trader was to register.  One wonders, however, if the going concerns of the enterprise are above, or below, the Threshold for VAT.

Ian.

© 2018 DJ Models Ltd. Registered in England & Wales: 08601496 VAT number: 182275891

Thats the details copied off his website so yes he should have been paying VAT for all money taken. One model locomotive run will have taken him over the threshold for VAT.

There is an issue in all this still given the many excuses over the last few years that Dave potentially could well be liable personally for some people’s losses. He claimed PayPal had issues which stopped him using it. Then there was also mention of not having a business bank account and that he could not take payments as well at one point. (From my own business knowledge this had to relate to PCI compliance). Getting a business account is actually very straight forward to do once you have registered a company. So if money was paid via PayPal and then into his own account it’s not gone through the business despite being on his invoice. Has VAT been paid on this and is it even registered as part of the business accounts. Very difficult to find out but you could well try and claim directly from Dave.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Thats the details copied off his website so yes he should have been paying VAT for all money taken. One model locomotive run will have taken him over the threshold for VAT.

There is an issue in all this still given the many excuses over the last few years that Dave potentially could well be liable personally for some people’s losses. He claimed PayPal had issues which stopped him using it. Then there was also mention of not having a business bank account and that he could not take payments as well at one point. (From my own business knowledge this had to relate to PCI compliance). Getting a business account is actually very straight forward to do once you have registered a company. So if money was paid via PayPal and then into his own account it’s not gone through the business despite being on his invoice. Has VAT been paid on this and is it even registered as part of the business accounts. Very difficult to find out but you could well try and claim directly from Dave.

Mark

Do the liquidators. Just look at current assets or where those assets have come from. Would they delve into Daves financial past and pick up whether he paid vat and if everything was above board although Dave did have an accountant who should have been advising him correctly.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Then there was also mention of not having a business bank account and that he could not take payments as well at one point. (From my own business knowledge this had to relate to PCI compliance). Getting a business account is actually very straight forward to do once you have registered a company.

Mark

When we were running a guest house I had a credit card machine and account (Barclays) linked to a personal current account with a different bank (Lloyds).

All monies paid to us by card were credited to our personal account.

BTW we were not VAT registered as being under the threshold.

When I paid the £30 deposit on the Accurascale Deltic it included 20% vat. I know that because I forgot I had a Canadian proxy server active and the amount came up £25 until I entered a UK address.

• Informative/Useful 1

In an email exchange with Mr Jones at the tail end of 2018 when I'd had enough of his bluster and asked for a refund, the said Mr Jones stated that one of the many reasons I could not have refund was due to him having paid VAT on the deposits I was reclaiming.

Re-reading the emails it is now clear DJM was financially busted at the time I was talking to him then, no doubt the Bank of Wishful Modellers had stopped advancing funds and it was probably becoming apparent to him that a number of longstanding backers were writing off their deposits and not intending to remit future instalments. 

Have monitored this thread throughout, I see it as group therapy given that many others are sharing my modelling disappointment and financial discomfort. I have now registered with CG and sent off my proof to them, Credit Card issuer is next on the list.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 16/06/2019 at 18:49, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The best bit of this thread is that every day I visit Phil's workbench to see what he's been building today.

I agree, one has to keep an eye on what he's up to.......

Totally OT, but the sidebar reminded me that Phil also purveys the "Kate vs" book series (if two books maketh a series), which are wonderfully scatty light reading, and I had been wondering if a third was in the works.  Apparently there is, but the delivery time seems to be akin to a DJM project, or perhaps a Bachmann one. However,  seeing that the IP is in his (and his conspirators) head and not likely to be claimed by an overseas factory it may turn up sooner than later....

Hat, coat and slinking around the corner

Edited by Hroth
minor spelin
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I agree, one has to keep an eye on what he's up to.......

Totally OT, but the sidebar reminded my that Phil also purveys the "Kate vs" book series (if two books maketh a series), wonderfully scatty light reading, and I had been wondering if a third was in the works.  Apparently there is, but the delivery time seems to be akin to a DJM project, or perhaps a Bachmann one. However,  seeing that the IP is in his head and not likely to be claimed by an overseas factory it may turn up sooner than later....

Hat, coat and slinking around the corner

He's deep in research for Kate vs. the Bake Off.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, 37505bstp said:

In an email exchange with Mr Jones at the tail end of 2018 when I'd had enough of his bluster and asked for a refund, the said Mr Jones stated that one of the many reasons I could not have refund was due to him having paid VAT on the deposits I was reclaiming

That's a nonsense excuse anyway.  If he refunded he could have claimed back the VAT on his next VAT return.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I, and many others, are now recalling seeing the writing on the wall that we did not interpret properly at the time.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty much resigned to losing my deposit.

I suppose I'll get some perverse sense of value for money knowing that the time spent by CG on my emails will be worth more than £30.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4