Crowdfunding: Reclaim via Credit Card

Damo666

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

I now have written confirmation from my card provider of the refund but with the caveat "If you receive a refund from the merchant or the merchant provides further information  which confirms that the transaction is valid we may remove the credit at a later date".

All I would advise is keep emphasising the S75 aspect of any claim.

Which suggests to me that they will try and recover the money from DJM.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Dealt with a chargeback a few years back at work, we got a letter from our merchant bank asking for copies of the invoice, proof of delivery and any other available proof within 14 or 21 days. They immediately debited the funds from our bank and promised to re-credit it if we provided proof the transaction was valid in the timeframe, otherwise case closed in buyers favour.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2019 at 16:09, ollieollieollie said:

MBNA have put a credit on my account subject to DJ Models not contesting my claim in the next 45 days! 

Same here. Luckily I ordered two Kings taking the deposit total over £100.

3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Same here. Luckily I ordered two Kings taking the deposit total over £100.

The GBP100 minimum for a S.75 claim applies to the total price of the item and not the amount already paid, so you would still have a valid claim if you had ordered only one. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2019 at 17:05, dave_7820 said:

Having heard nothing at all from my CC company in the two weeks since I contacted them, I've just phoned them again.  I pointed out that I was aware that several people in the same situation had already received refunds (handy things, forums!).  I was told that they'd written to me - I haven't actually received anything (letters from them usually take an age to arrive).  I was then told that I could expect a credit in my CC account within three working days.  Object lesson, keep at them !!

I'll let you know when (if?) the credit arrives.

The credit arrived in the account overnight.  :D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Got a credit from Barclaycard for my 6x class 92 deposits today. No questions, just took the written submission and evidence. Seems to be very good customer service. 

Nothing yet from Nationwide on the APT deposit. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have checked the on-line account for my M&S Money credit card and I have had £248.99 credited to the account yesterday (26/06/2019).  I posted off the proof on the 17th June.  So rapid work by HSBC the ultimate owners of M&S Bank. :-)

Good news as I've already spent some of the money on a Hornby APT from Ebay.  Should arrive on my birthday. :-)

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I got some good news today, my credit card refunded my deposit so I’d say to anyone thinking of claiming their deposit or full payment back, it’s worth contacting your credit card provider and giving it a go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, amwells said:

Got a credit from Barclaycard for my 6x class 92 deposits today. No questions, just took the written submission and evidence. Seems to be very good customer service. 

Perhaps they're RMWebbers!

1 hour ago, amwells said:

Nothing yet from Nationwide on the APT deposit. 

Perhaps they're not.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear that some people are getting refunds from their card providers.  

But as CG & Co are stilling trying to establish the extent to which crowd funding money went into DJM it is still worth letting them know what your exposure was in terms of number of items (if more than one) and the amount of money involved as well as, obviously, noting that your card provider has (or hasn't) already refunded your money under S.75 or whatever.  The latter would also give the liquidators an idea of how much money is likely to be sought by credit card companies etc who would presumably have become creditors.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Good to hear that some people are getting refunds from their card providers.  

But as CG & Co are stilling trying to establish the extent to which crowd funding money went into DJM it is still worth letting them know what your exposure was in terms of number of items (if more than one) and the amount of money involved as well as, obviously, noting that your card provider has (or hasn't) already refunded your money under S.75 or whatever.  The latter would also give the liquidators an idea of how much money is likely to be sought by credit card companies etc who would presumably have become creditors.

Even those who achieved refunds from the credit card companies were creditors at the date of the liquidation decision, even if not claiming recompense from the liquidator. The deposits from crowdfunders still went into the company.

• Agree 3

On 26/06/2019 at 01:47, dpgibbons said:

That seems unlikely as it's generally held that S75 does not apply in that situation.

It sounds as if your credit card providers are attempting to recover monies from DJM via a chargeback. This process takes longer and may well be unsuccessful. You should tell them that you expect them to settle your claim under S75 and not by any other means.   

Got my money back through chargeback within 2 days, with the warning

I will only contact you again if I receive a response to this action from the retailer’s bank and therefore advise that you retain any documentation related to the purchase for the next 60 days. The matter cannot be considered closed until this time frame has passed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

With the wide cross section of credit cards in the UK, and in the big scheme of things, the small amounts being claimed across all of these providers, will they even bother on approaching the liquidators, or just write it off ?

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

With the wide cross section of credit cards in the UK, and in the big scheme of things, the small amounts being claimed across all of these providers, will they even bother on approaching the liquidators, or just write it off ?

I’ll eat my hat if they don’t write it off. Won’t be worth their time to pursue. 

• Agree 2

Santander refunded me within 48 hours of me sending the form back along with correspondence from the liquidator. If you are with Santander I would suggest you have a very good chance of seeing the money refunded.

• Like 2

I hope this may help those who, like me, paid on credit card via PayPal. I've had the APT deposit refunded after sending in the forms for a chargeback (as opposed to a section 75 claim) with all the paperwork/evidence I could lay my hands on, plus a detailed letter.

This was a platinum Visa card so I don't know if being 'Platinum' makes any difference to anything, but hopefully this means that others who used PayPal and paid via a credit card may receive refunds.

At the time I ordered, I believe I am correct in saying that PayPal was the only payment option, but I was not one of those who was randomly refunded when PayPal insisted funds were repaid and therefore I could not then repay the deposit with a credit card (which would have then allowed me a straight section 75 claim). Anyway, I hope this helps. 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I am delighted to see that so many are obtaining refunds and rightly so.

Can I ask if anyone who has had a refund on the APT went to the Scanning Party at Crewe Heritage Centre?

LOL.  Should the price of the cake be deducted :) :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I am delighted to see that so many are obtaining refunds and rightly so.

Can I ask if anyone who has had a refund on the APT went to the Scanning Party at Crewe Heritage Centre?

Yes, me.  I enjoyed the scanning party.  So there is such a thing as a free lunch! ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Thank you 87004, that is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. Shall collect my winnings tomorrow!!!  :drink_mini:

Glad to be of service.  Although as a disclaimer I hadn't actually paid at that point as Dave had his Paypal 'difficulties' at the time.  I paid by credit card when he had the new website.

Just received a refund for my 2 Kings from my Halifax Mastercard. Took a couple of weeks but worth persevering. I received the same caveat about disputes as others noted above.

Now, what do I spend it on? :locomotive:

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 2

I have just seen that my bank account has been credited with the £202.50 for the 3 Kings bought on my debit card (why I used a debit card I simply can't understand) through the chargeback scheme.  I have yet to receive any written confirmation of the basis of the refund, but I suspect it will be in similar terms to others.  I've added my info to the spreadsheet.

• Friendly/supportive 2