First Class 158 to Whitby?

On Friday evening I was passing through Glaisdale and found a 158 coupled out of use on the rear of the scheduled service to Middlesbrough - was this the first 158 to visit Whitby as I was advised by a driver many years ago they were out of gauge for Esk Valley services.

Many thanks

Matt

• Like 1

I seem to remember that the problem with 158s down in the Bristol area was that they fitted OK gauge wise, but the problem arose with the way the doors move when they open.  The plug doors move outward and in a few places could hit something.   Minor alterations to just a few platforms were all that was required.

• 1 month later...
On 07/06/2019 at 12:15, D6975 said:

I seem to remember that the problem with 158s down in the Bristol area was that they fitted OK gauge wise, but the problem arose with the way the doors move when they open.  The plug doors move outward and in a few places could hit something.   Minor alterations to just a few platforms were all that was required.

A similar issue prevented Class 158 sets working between Midcalder Jc and Holytown Jc via Shotts at one time; If the air suspension was deflated, and the doors were opened, they might strike the odd station platform. Obviously the issue was resolved as these sets later worked the Edinburgh/Glasgow Central via Shotts service, until their recent replacement by Class 385 EMUs.