Fijian Steam loco

Bon Accord

I was in Fiji a couple of weeks ago and mounted on a plinth outside one of the airport hotels in Nadi was this machine, an 0-6-0TT  of approx 2' gauge which obviously saw use in the Sugar Cane industry. There was no discernible worksplate or identification on it save for the number/logo painted on which indicated it had belonged to South Pacific Sugar Mills, a concern which was nationalised into the Fiji Sugar Corporation in 1973.

I have a hazy memory of it being in the same location the last time I was in Fiji in 2009 albeit painted a different colour. From what I can find online the suggestion is that it was manufactured by Fowler, would anyone happen to know if that's the same crowd of traction engine/road roller fame?

The Fiji Gateway lettering/symbol is the name of the hotel whose front lawn it is sat on, the hotel's former name being the Raffles Gateway.  The main entrance to Nadi airport is just across the road where on entry you are presented with road access to a very modern departures hall, however there is still a 2' gauge level crossing on that approach road with rails disappearing into the undergrowth on each side.

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

• Like 2

Fowler's archives and plans are held at the Museum of English Rural Life (MERL) in Reading.

I found the team there quite helpful, but then I had a variety build numbers and years for them to work from.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Thanks 1

John Fowler built and supplied many locomotives to the sugar industry in and around the tropics. The locomotive preserved at Nadi (JF 10656/1906) is quite typical of their products. For further information on their locomotives, a full works list was prepared quite a few years back by Frank Jux (who sadly passed away recently) and published by the Industrial Locomotive Society.

Edited by EddieB
Added works number
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see that the loco is being cared for as a gate guardian for a hotel.  

The Fowler list along with the other builders from Leeds are available in the searchable database on my Leeds Engine site, link below.