Potomac Pundit

EddieB

I don’t often buy Trains (Kalmbach) magazine these days, but the recent issue mostly devoted to the 150th anniversary of the “Golden Spike” ceremony at Promontory, Utah was too good to miss.  Reading through that issue, it seemed rather incomplete without Don Phillips’ regular column.

Now, I’ve been reading Trains for getting on for forty years. As long as I can remember, the “Potomac Pundit” column was a regular feature of the magazine. I watched as it’s writer’s portrait got older through the years.  As could be expected from its title, Don did express opinion in his column, but often with valuable insight into the Railroading business in the USA and its political landscape. Sometimes the column was of little interest to those outside the DC bubble, let alone those of us across the Atlantic, but it was always well-written and clearly expressed.

Don having disappeared from the latest issue, I feared that he had passed away and that I had missed a tribute in a previous copy.  Apparently, I gather, the story is rather different.  The pundit has been sold down the Potomac as his political opinions were at variance with the editor and staff at Kalmbach: gone, without comment.

I’m not close enough to know the full story, but from distance find it rather sad that the magazine has ditched a favourite writer in the wake of increased political polarisation in US politics, when perhaps a disclaimer might have sufficed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Good to hear that Don Philips is still going!

Like Eddie B, I've watched Dons column for some 30+ years and always found him so insightful and knowledgeable - I learnt a lot about US politics from him (but still don't really understand it!).

It strikes me that "Trains" loss is "Railroad & Railfan"s gain, good for them. A shame that Kalmbach magazines seem to be dumbing down btw.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...