Customer service on the SDJR

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Taken from 'The modellers' Guide to the S&DJR Line'

Stalbridge had an interesting manoeuvre on weekdays, the 08:55 Bournemouth West to Templecombe arrived in the Up platform at 10:18. Passengers who had boarded the train along the line and who wished to join the following up Pines Express would leave the 08:55 leaving the remaining passengers on the train. The local train moved as far forward to clear the loop and reverse into the down platform, the Pines Express would arrive at 10:39, collect the waiting passengers and depart at 10:41.

Once the express had cleared the platform, the 08:55 would reverse out of the down platform, the road would be set for the up platform and the 08:55 would arrive at Stalbridge for the second time. Departure to Templecombe took place at 10:47.

41243-bournemouth-to-templecombe.jpg.0fb0eb6951bd53334b52467d077dc6cd.jpg

Up local at Stalbridge - 41243

40563-Stalbridge_.jpg.17e5e26ff3abf34e54210538997404fd.jpg

Unfortunately, Stalbridge was, like so many DCR stations, largely ignored by photographers, hence this is a rare colour image.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Premium

The 2P picture illustrates another busier time in Stalbridge's day.  There's an up train receding into the distance which I would speculate is the 11.40 off Bournemouth.  I remember this always used to pass the 12.23 off Templecombe at Stalbridge which is almost certainly the service that 40563 is on.  The 12.23 was due at 12.38.  Looking up timetables just now, the 11.40 was shown as non stop at Stalbridge in 1960 but in 1963 and 1964 it was booked to stop at 12.39.

31 minutes ago, geoffers said:

The colour 2P photo also shows the signalman running between the tracks towards the loco. With the token perhaps?

I've often wondered about that, but which tablet would it have been, why would the signalman have been at the other end of the loop with it, and why be running in the 4-foot when surely the platform would have been easier?

Is there a date for this photo? Does it perhaps date *before* the points at the far end were motorised, in which case he has been up the far end working the GF?

Chris - this photo has been published in Robert Robotham's "On Somereet and Dorset Lines" published by Ian Allan in 1995, page 68, in a photo by P.W.Gray/Colour Rail (SD47) where it is quoted as being taken in March 1962, the train being the 12:23pm  from Templecombe to Bournemouth. In the distance there is evidence of a train moving northwards towards Templecombe and the signalman may have been passing the single line token from that train to the driver of the 2P, one of the suppositions made in the comments. Apologies if you already knew this but I mention it for the benefit of those who may not.  As for why he is running along the sleepers rather than the platform I guess we will never really know.

Edited by geoffers

1 hour ago, geoffers said:

Chris - this photo has been published in Robert Robotham's "On Somereet and Dorset Lines" published by Ian Allan in 1995, page 68, in a photo by P.W.Gray/Colour Rail (SD47) where it is quoted as being taken in March 1962, the train being the 12:23pm  from Templecombe to Bournemouth. In the distance there is evidence of a train moving northwards towards Templecombe and the signalman may have been passing the single line token from that train to the driver of the 2P, one of the suppositions made in the comments. Apologies if you already knew this but I mention it for the benefit of those who may not.  As for why he is running along the sleepers rather than the platform I guess we will never really know.

I knew that I had seen it before, but forgot where to be able to check the date.

>>>...signalman may have been passing the single line token from that train to the driver of the 2P, one of the suppositions made in the comments...

And totally against the rules, as it would have to be replaced in the instrument first.

Usually procedure would be something on the lines of :-

1. Down train arrives, surrenders tablet which is placed into instrument to clear the section to Templecombe Jcn.

2. Signalman gets permission from T Jcn to withdraw tablet for Up train.

3. Up train arrives, gives up tablet for section to S Newton, collects tablet for T Jcn.

4. Signalman places S Newton tablet into instrument, clears section , gets new tablet, takes it to Down train.

No need to go anywhere near the other end of the station.

Alternatively:-

A. Up train arrives, gives up tablet for section to S Newton. 

B. Signalman places S Newton tablet into instrument, clears section , gets new tablet and sets road ready for Down train.

C.  Down train arrives, surrenders T Jcn tablet to signalman, who gives him S Newton tablet.

D. Signalman places T Jcn tablet into instrument, clears section , gets new tablet and takes it to Up train engine at far end of platform.

Although by then one might have expected the Down train to have left, maybe the signalman had just done D above and was hurrying back to send Train Entering Section to T Jcn or similar (eg close gates after departure of Down train).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The train at Stur would have been the 15.35 Templecombe to Bailey Gate which tended to be worked bunker first, often by a class 4 tank in 1964/5.  It wasn’t due to pass an up train so the lad should have been safe.

• Informative/Useful 1