7mm depot diorama

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brossard said:

I'm, very impressed by the excellent work here.  Can you expand a bit on how you did the grass around the buffer stop?

John

Many thanks John

The grass is mainly Green Scene static grass. I use slightly diluted PVA glue onto which the first layer of 'spring' or similar fibres are applied - using the Green Scene applicator. Then when dry, patches of hair spray - the cheapest and stickiest - is applied and then further grass fibres - a slightly lighter shade. Then a third patchy layer can be added using much lighter fibres.

I hope that this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That Crane looks superb mate, I thought your OO ones were impressive but that is even better.

Thanks Andy.

I have also made these in 00.

I will be making a few to sell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Long overdue progress on the diorama. Back some months ago, I bought some figures from Modelu3D, including a seated chap with phone up to his ear - would look great in an office on the diorama I thought. Finally, I've made a start on said office - being positioned at edge of diorama, I can effectively leave one wall off, allowing viewing into the office. This has been completely scratchbuilt from plasticard with South Eastern Finecast bricks. The next job will be the roof, which will be removable for the time being to allow better access to fit a fully detailed interior.

The space behind the office will be filled with an extension to the main depot building.

Depot 1.jpg

Depot 2.jpg

Depot 3.jpg

• Like 13

On 09/04/2020 at 19:06, mudmagnet said:

Another photo taken the other day. Both figures from the excellent Modelu3D range.

Depot 049.jpg

Oi Richard,  You pinched my Shunter from Seven Mills, and I thought it was in it's box ready for moving.:no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress on the diorama.

1) I've made another hoist - this time I've added the tare notice that this clearly seen on the prototype (Hitchin Depot) and more heavily weathered, with faded yellow paint and a few rust spots - this one does sit outside after all! The other one has been sold, hence needing to make another one!

2) Added a roof, guttering and downpipes to the office, all scratch built, plus weathering on the brick work.

I have also made a start on the interior for the small building next to / behind the office - but not taken any photos that clearly show, so you will have to wait until this is revealed. The interior is something that I have not seen modelled before, so hopefully unique!

Depot_055.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Excellent work there, Mudmagnet.  Would you post a photo of the whole diorama please - I appreciate that it may still be a work in progress, but it would be nice to see an overall picture of the area you are working with.  

Also, I do like the interior of the office.  How did you make the filing cabinets?  They do look very convincing.

Please check your incoming messages re the hoist.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sun VI said:

Excellent work there, Mudmagnet.  Would you post a photo of the whole diorama please - I appreciate that it may still be a work in progress, but it would be nice to see an overall picture of the area you are working with.  

Also, I do like the interior of the office.  How did you make the filing cabinets?  They do look very convincing.

Please check your incoming messages re the hoist.

Cheers

Hi Sun Vi

many thanks - I've replied to your message.

The filing cabinets are scratchbuilt from plasticard, commencing with a 40 thou box and then the drawers are represented with 10 thou overlays. Handles are 0.45mm wire fitted into holes drilled into the 'drawers'.

I will find an overall photo, but very simple, two tracks both going 'nowhere'!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, D6775 said:

What have you used for the white washing in the office? I am planning to white wash the ground floor at the back of my pub and was planning a liberal coat of white acrylic sanded back with fine W&D.

I painted the bricks as per the rest of the building and allowed to dry. Then dry brushed white paint over, gradually building the colour, without fully obscuring the brick colour below,

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, mudmagnet said:

I painted the bricks as per the rest of the building and allowed to dry. Then dry brushed white paint over, gradually building the colour, without fully obscuring the brick colour below,

Thanks, well I gave it a go, my dry brushing wasn't great so I put more on then rubbed it back!

1980001707_NewLayout26.jpg.c601061cdcde528bd588d96a59d7a58c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I've only just come across this thread.
Absolutely cracking job Richard :)
7mm just lends itself to such dioramas IMO.

I can see how a small project like this can be so relaxing and therapeutic, and produce such a satisfying result.
Love the distressed brickwork and the old weathered sleepers - just the sort of details I like adding. But you've done a cracking job here matey

Hello from sunny South Wales

• Thanks 1