Railtour photos and comments

• RMweb Gold

The only proper multiple loco and rare track rail-tour I went on was RESL's The Cornishman in January 1985. I was a teenager back then and with a couple of mates, we headed off to London. The tour started off in the evening from St.Pancras (not the obvious London starting point for a tour to Cornwall) behind 25034 and 25192, one or both of which failed by Bedford. 31154 came on the front to drag the train to Leicester from where we were supposed to get a class 40 as far as Bristol. However our class 40 had left late from wherever it was coming and so Saltley depot had to rustle up a replacement. Pulling into Leicester, we saw a pair of class 20s waiting and the thumbs up from the driver told us that he was there for us. The word went round that the Saltley driver had been instructed to bring a 47/4 but knowing how disappointing this would be for rail-tour passengers, he brought 20006 and 20133 instead. Despite the fact that there would be no train heating, this was an unexpected bonus and we put up with the cold for the brief run over to New Street where 40012 was waiting. From here, we routed via Worcester Shrub Hill and Cheltenham to Bristol Temple Meads for the next loco change. March depot had sent a pair of steam-heat split headcode 37s west for the tour and the first of them, 37088, was paired up with local 37189 for a non-stop run through the early hours to Plymouth. Here they were replaced by the other March loco, 37099, and Laira's 37207 to continue into Cornwall. Our late running meant that the trip down to Falmouth was scrubbed so as not to interfere with the morning's first branch passenger service. Therefore, 37207 ran round at Truro and we set off back east with 37099 at the rear. We reversed at Burngullow for the run down to Parkandillack where we reversed again to run back to Lostwithiel and thence down to Carne Point. A photo stop was arranged here well short of the end of the line and everyone piled off onto the embankment beside the Fowey river just as it was starting to get light. I don’t remember anyone falling into the water but the bank was quite steep in places. Back to Lostwithiel, we ran into the up loop to allow 37099 to run round onto the front of 37207. We were also held here for an up passenger train to pass and I remember it being hauled by 50041 which had only recently returned to traffic following its derailment at Paddington in November 1983. We followed this train to Plymouth and then ran round the Laira triangle to Friary goods. 37099 and 207 came off here and 088 and 189 rejoined us for the run over the south Devon banks and along the Heathfield branch which we reached around 1300. The locos ran round here, and again at Newton Abbot and there followed a non-stop run to Bristol. It was quite a nice day by then (for January) and every window was occupied for the run along the sea wall. Having spent the day at Bath Road, 40012 hauled us away from the crowded platform at Temple Meads via Worcester and New Street to Leicester. Here, a revived 25034, paired this time with 25237, took us uneventfully back to St.Pancras arriving around 2130. All in all, a very interesting tour; 11 locos of five different classes and just over 850 miles including four freight branches. It wasn’t one of the epic tours like the Skirl o' the Pipes series but enjoyable nevertheless. I think it cost me about £20. I did take some pictures but, to be honest, they’re all a bit rubbish.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On September 30th 1961, 60022 'Mallard' is seen at Blackpool with the Northern Rubber Special from Retford for the illuminations. 

On that day around 40 special trains ran from various parts of the UK. 

423695196_60022blackpool30961.jpg.6ad4f77c92f52fa495f255fed5c2202e.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Anyone remember the Intercity promoted North Wales Coast Express trips in the early 1990’s....

A few days a week, pool of locos.

i regularly used to trip down to Crewe or Chester to watch, here’s a few..

I wonder what happened to all those headboards, there must be at least 6 of them.

On the first run 35028 failed, and 34027 worked the return, some passengers didn’t notice the difference.

60009 as 60027

5407s drain cocks were permanently open even back then.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Anyone remember the Intercity promoted North Wales Coast Express trips in the early 1990’s....

A few days a week, pool of locos.

Yes remember them well, think they ran three times a week with a trip into Llandudno with the need for the train to be dragged back to the Junction by a spare loco on hand. 

On one of the Sunday runs a coach with a balcony was on the rear of the train with the chairman of British Rail & local management all enjoying the hot weather. As it came to a stand outside my signal box at Colwyn Bay it suddenly dawned on me that because all the windows were open they were going to get the full range of ‘working slack’ on the bells. 

A very quick three flats were sent before my form one arrived.... :lol:

On 31st August 1963 the SLS organised a railtour of the Edinburgh area hauled by J37 64624. 

Here the tour is seen at what appears to be the Caledonian terminus at Leith East (but I am happy to be corrected). 

s64624_leith(cr)_31:8:63.jpg.dcdb955390ba3c926c18f13b6a9e5606.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2019 at 17:16, rab said:

For those of us not in the know, do please enlarge!

Just back from holiday hence delayed reply.

Thinking back it may have been early summer 1990, BR ran specials steam hauled between Crewe and Holyhead. On one of the days a gentleman videoing from a door window was killed after coming into contact with a bridge somewhere close to the mainland side of the bridge. That was the time when video cameras were the size of a small suitcase.

I went on one of the later trips hauled by 60009 masquerading as Osprey, and leaflets were handed to all passengers and stewards were in full window police mode. IIRC there,was a period of bars on droplight windows of the Railtour set owned by Inter City it caused quite a furore at the time.

Will look through my files to see if l can find anymore info.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Simon Lee said:

Just back from holiday hence delayed reply.

Thinking back it may have been early summer 1990, BR ran specials steam hauled between Crewe and Holyhead. On one of the days a gentleman videoing from a door window was killed after coming into contact with a bridge somewhere close to the mainland side of the bridge. That was the time when video cameras were the size of a small suitcase.

I went on one of the later trips hauled by 60009 masquerading as Osprey, and leaflets were handed to all passengers and stewards were in full window police mode. IIRC there,was a period of bars on droplight windows of the Railtour set owned by Inter City it caused quite a furore at the time.

Will look through my files to see if l can find anymore info.

Thanks for the response.

It perhaps answers some of the criticism of H&S,

but I'll stop there before I take the thread off topic.

Great to see the pics.

7 hours ago, jonny777 said:

On 31st August 1963 the SLS organised a railtour of the Edinburgh area hauled by J37 64624. 

Here the tour is seen at what appears to be the Caledonian terminus at Leith East (but I am happy to be corrected). 

s64624_leith(cr)_31:8:63.jpg.dcdb955390ba3c926c18f13b6a9e5606.jpg

Edited by AberdeenBill
Posted too soon!

• 1 month later...

26008 and 26040 are ready to take the Inverness leg of the 'Mid Scot Explorer' out of Edinburgh Waverley on June 12th 1982. 

This tour originated at Wolverhampton and had reached Edinburgh via Leeds, York, Newcastle, Carlisle, Dumfries and Glasgow Central. 

26008_26040_edinburgh_wav_12:6:82.jpg.736eb8841b44ea09195511f1a6062de1.jpg

• Like 8

Here is DEMU 1312 on March 26th 1977 with the RCTS 'North And East Kent' rail tour. 

The tour visited Angerstein Wharf, Isle Of Grain, Cliffe sidings and the Chatham Dockyard branch amongst its itinerary, but not being too familiar with the area I don't recognise this particular location. Could someone provide me with more details?

1312_26:3:77.jpg.a8c9b94e2b695de69e07e56599befe67.jpg

• Like 6

Looks very much like the bridge over Medway Road, Gillingham, on the Chatham Dockyard branch, looking south, away from the dockyard. Google maps here:

https://goo.gl/maps/qHxXYeGckkRLZTvn7

and you can see the semi-detached houses up higher (Shottenden/St Andrews Roads) in some of the aerial/street views.

Six Bells Junction gives it as Bridge 729:

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/770326rc.html

Edited by eastwestdivide
extra info

Thanks very much, Eastwestdivide. 

I had looked at Six Bells Junction, but although I recognise the place names I have no idea of the surrounding scenery.  This is why I need as much help as I can get. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three railtours stand out in my mind.  The first was a steam hauled Welsh Marches Express.  We were double headed north from Newport behind, if a remember correctly, a standard 4 75069 plus a standard tank 80079.  We must have been running late as the drivers really went as hard and fast as they could. The noise was deafening as we stormed up the gradients.  The timing log has never been published, just as well as we raced through Abergaveney at 82. A wonderful day.

The other two were  ‘Scenic Land Cruises’  to Scotland. On the first one it was so cold, minus 26 if I remember correctly, that the steam heating pipes froze. It got so cold in the carriages that there was ice on the inside of the windows.  All the toilets froze solid too, so we had a special stop at a station so everyone could go to the loo.  Eventually the diesel froze on one of the 37s, so that packed up, but the other 37 got us to Fort William - great sound as it thrashed through the mountains pulling a heavy train plus a dead 37. I was a steward on that one so I got no photos.

The second Scenic Land Cruise also made it to Fort William, but only just as the line got blocked by snow behind us resulting in an extra night in the town and a epic journey back via Oban and Dumfries. I took a bit of video which you will find on the start of the link below.

Happy days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Thanks very much, Eastwestdivide. 

I had looked at Six Bells Junction, but although I recognise the place names I have no idea of the surrounding scenery.  This is why I need as much help as I can get. 

Having grown up in the Medway Towns, I was at  bit of an advantage there. 

The Chatham Dockyard branch was a favourite of railtours down that way, although I don't think many got beyond the limit of BR ownership into the dockyard system itself, at least until the Navy moved out. As a base that maintained nuclear subs, you can understand their reluctance. 

This extract from the old OS at https://maps.nls.uk/view/101428515 shows the point at which the photo in your tour has stopped - just short of the boundary:

689286685_Mapofrailtour.jpg.922023cc93a893e7b0f8b3a53a8495fe.jpg

Thanks very much Eastwest, that is an excellent map. I must study the area more closely for the array of tracks beyond the photo look fascinating.

I have found two more photos from the tour so far, and I would love to be able to identify all the locations. 

Here is the first of the two, but the second is queued up in the scanner and I will post later. 

268031328_1312tour26377.jpg.a5737a9d9c57177c93f3df700d04f3ab.jpg

• Like 3

That's got me baffled. Looks too hilly for Grain or Cliffe I think. The lighting suggests a terminal of some kind, and the lettering on the buidling on the left could almost be ---- IRFIX. On the original scan, can you read anything off the blue-ish lorry near the building?

It's also the same end of the DEMU (triangle only at one end), so with the itinerary, that might help determine the direction of the photo!

There's more details of the tour and a photo on the Angerstein branch at:

http://www.preservedthumpers.com/tours-rcts-north-and-east-kent.html

Edited by eastwestdivide