Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

You Tube Exhibitions and blogs

I am not a regular attendee at model railway exhibitions limiting myself to those within easy reach so enjoy watching the highlights from shows published on you tube, that was until recently when l was told to "shut up talking, I'm filming" by some wally at a show recently.  Mr W. Ally was told were to put his phone by me, subject closed. That was until l related the story to friends who tell me that the "silence please" brigade are popping up in ever increasing numbers at exhibitions now. I have seen notices at shows that filming is only allowed for personal use and permission must be obtained otherwise. Does anyone ever ask permission of organisers? are organisers missing out on a revenue steam from these You Tubers?

Secondly, the un boxing and review videos, again on you tube. Yes they are love them or hate them but now l find that many of these reviewers with subscriber's in the thousands are plugging items from various suppliers and distributors as if the have bought them themselves when infact they are reviewing them for payment or at least getting the said items for free. Has anyone ever seen a bad review?

Remember these prolific You Tubers can also payments for the amount of hits they get, perhaps they should be a bit more transparent, if not honest to there viewers.

• Agree 2

I have a YouTube channel but I don't make any money from it and have no desire to. YouTube isn't the easy money making platform it used to be. Some of the restrictions they impose on content creators to gat said mony are quite silly.

I've filmed at shows in the past and uploaded the results to my channel and still do at times. However talking in the background is part of a show and I have never (and would never) attempt to get others to be quiet. If someone is persistently talking loudly I move to another position.

For me, YouTube is a nice place to share my video I've shot on a day out.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Magazines generally get their review samples free, too (there was a fuss when Hornby stopped doing this for a time). It depends on the extent to which you trust the reviewer. Presumably if YouTubers are paid depending on the number of hits you get, that might work to keep them "honest"—if someone gets a reputation for not giving accurate reviews, they would lose "viewers" surely?

Unboxers and similar don't really bother me, and I have no objection at all to people making money from their YouTube channels. They are supposed to declare if they have received free samples for review, but I doubt many of them are making enough for it to really be worth bothering about if they don't.

I entirely agree, though, about filming at shows. Or, more generally, camera etiquette at shows. Everybody who has paid for a ticket has exactly the same rights as everyone else who has paid for a ticket. The possession of an item of electronic equipment in front of your nose does not give you any special privileges. If you want to take photos, either moving or still, then wait your turn at a busy layout just like everyone else, and don't hog a prime viewing position when you get there. If conditions aren't suitable for photography (or, it seems in some cases, not precisely to your liking), then just don't take them. It's nobody else's problem if you can't get that perfect Instagram or YouTube shot, and you have no right to make them cooperate with you in getting it.

That said, I think most people are willing to avoid getting in the way of someone else's camera, and a polite request for the opportunity to get a particular angle will generally bear fruit. But, of course, the key word there is "polite".

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

As I rarely listen to the sound on utube videos any background noise is irrelevant to me. I'd rather listen to my radio while watching them.

• Agree 1

Well that is one option for anyone shooting footage at exhibitions. Ditch the raw video clip sound and put in a suitable backing soundtrack.

In anycase if the person filiming in the OP's post was using a phone then they're not a serious YouTuber. Whilst I admit phone cameras are very very good nowerdays they will still fail to come close to a proper video camera. You get far steadier shots from a proper camera then you will with a phone, not only due to image stabisation but also the weight of the camera helps.

It seems that many of the serious YouTubers actually use Digital SLR's to shoot their footage then a dedicated video camera.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2019 at 14:25, hermes said:

I am not a regular attendee at model railway exhibitions limiting myself to those within easy reach so enjoy watching the highlights from shows published on you tube, that was until recently when l was told to "shut up talking, I'm filming" by some wally at a show recently.  Mr W. Ally was told were to put his phone by me, subject closed. That was until l related the story to friends who tell me that the "silence please" brigade are popping up in ever increasing numbers at exhibitions now. 

That would just make me talk all the louder!

When watching the many excellent YouTube show videos I always do so with the sound turned off anyway. Does anyone watch show footage with the sound on? I'm genuinely curious as to why you would given the usual background hubbub.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 3

On 07/06/2019 at 18:20, john new said:

That would just make me talk all the louder!

When watching the many excellent YouTube show videos I always do so with the sound turned off anyway. Does anyone watch show footage with the sound on? I'm genuinely curious as to why you would given the usual background hubbub.

To listen to train and layout sounds...? Ok, I get your point, having had to turn up a sound decoder at a show last weekend because it's home setting was too quiet for a show.

At least the quantity of videos nowadays have decreased to a level where the ones you do see are nicely filmed and uploaded in a timely manner, unlike every Tom, Dick and Harry having a go with mixed results. I've often made a decision to go on a Sunday based on a video taken on a Saturday, as it is often the best way to gain information as to exactly what is there over a vague list of layout names.

I'm starting to think though that it's better and easier to exhibit at a virtual show, most of these videos and photos are staunchly filmed by a punter from a barrier line and although you can zoom in to crop a scene, you rarely see shots that are taken from within the layout as I do at home with a scale eye level lens on a smartphone. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think YouTube actually does give impartial reviews . Sams Trains as an example , frequently criticising cost and value for money ,poor motors etc 

As to the guy that told you to “shut up I’m filming” I’d remind him that videos should be for own use only and that you have every right to talk. Politeness always gains the upper hand even though it be tempting to tell him to go take a running jump.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's sometimes worth it to hear the spurious b*ll*cks spouted by some "expert" or other!

Mike.

Like Mike I listen to the comments which the experts make.  They can make a dull video quite amusing.

The same people who Mike has commented on tend to think the operators on the other side of the layout are deaf.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The same people who Mike has commented on tend to think the operators on the other side of the layout are deaf.

Maybe that is why, in my experience over recent years, very, very few ask if they may take pictures or video.

• Like 2

I would hope, that anyone taking photographs or making videos of a layout would at minimum, ask the layout operators if it's ok to do so.

AFAIK If you don't want a youtube exhibitor to make money from their uploads, simply don't subscribe to their channel. The only money they can make then is a few pennies at most, for each click response to advertisements.

As a layout owner/exhibitor, I have no problem with people photographing or taking a video of it for their own, personal, use. 

Relatively few people ask if they take a photo/video. I only become concerned/annoyed when people get themselves or their camera too close to the layout a possible risk of damage.

Video filming/production takes rather more skill than still photography with digital cameras. Panning speed, editing, background noise, etc. makes the difference between a enjoyable watching experience that portrays a layout well and a poor representation.

If still photos or videos are used on sites where the photographer or the site owner gets revenue from it, then should the layout/model owner be reimbursed? If I write an article for a magazine and a professional photographers is employed by the magazine to take the stills, then I get paid for the piece that is printed. 

A rhetorical question really, but not something I had considered before.

The point l was making is that if the site owners are receiving benefits from suppliers by reviewing there products it would be nice that this was acknowledged.  A simple name drop would do.  Yes and also it would help if sometimes presenters did do a bit of there own research and not  just spout out the details from the press releases they have been given. Somehow shouting at the screen when they spout drivel doesn't help, can't  they hear me!!.

As for filming, as said politeness goes a long way, and on the whole l enjoy watching exhibition footage but perhaps if these you tubers who are making any money out of it they, and not all are of course, could donate a small percentage back to the club organisers  or there nominated charity?

Perhaps organisers should think about making the own productions when the public aren't there, a sort of show reel where exhibitors can show off a bit. Personally l have always wondered how these large layouts are put together such accuracy in what must be a short time.

Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

Have just got our digital TV connected to YouTube. Tried one with sound on, it soon went off. Background hubbub and DCC sound (overly loud and distorted) don't mix well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've recently started experimenting with YouTube (plug, plug, link in my signature), mostly for fun and to share thoughts and ideas. Personally, I've never seen the appeal of unboxing videos, but apparently a lot of people do. As for the exhibition thing, I think people should ask permission before filming, especially if they intend to put it online for public viewing. It's like using someone else's music or footage - you're benefiting from someone else's hard work and creativity. I don't take videos, but I do sometimes snap photos if a layout particularly impresses me. I've never had an exhibitor deny permission.