Wire for droppers?

pendlerail

If you are using plastic clips which pierce the wire to join it to another (eg. Scotchloc and other similar types), then the wire diameter and specification is specific to the clip.  So, go back to the clip source, and look up the specific clip model, and which wire it is designed to join.  Then use those sizes.  Bodging with random wire diameters isn't likely to be reliable.

- Nigel

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

If you are using plastic clips which pierce the wire to join it to another (eg. Scotchloc and other similar types), then the wire diameter and specification is specific to the clip.  So, go back to the clip source, and look up the specific clip model, and which wire it is designed to join.  Then use those sizes.  Bodging with random wire diameters isn't likely to be reliable.

- Nigel

Thanks for pointing out the above. In the past I have been castigated for expressing concerns about the use of Scotchlok type of connectors which are a perfectly capable connector if care is taken to ensure the wire sizes are within the design parameters but can be problematic when wire sizes are markedly different. The only non soldering fast connector I recommend are the Wago lever type, these will grip wires up to 4mm2 and can personally vouch will grip wires down to 7/0.2 having tested such to destruction where the wire shredded before the Wago let go. The only downside is they come at a price!

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree about the Wago's. I use them down to 24AWG single strand wire with no issues.

They have the added benefit that they can be opened and closed many times, especially useful when looking for that elusive short circuit.

John P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wago 221-412, 221-413, 221-415, 2,3 & 5 way connectors, 24 AWG up to 12 AWG.

They also do high power versions and versions for thicker wire. I use the ones above all over my DCC layout.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wago 222-413 is a 3-wire connector having the same current and wire capabilities (0.08mm2 - 2.5mm2 or 28SWG-12SWG which gives you up to 32A rating )as the 221 series John P mentions but it is slightly smaller physically and is made of opaque, not transparent plastic. It is generally available at a lower price than the 221 series. I just bought 50 on Amazon at less than £16 and they will be delivered tomorrow - that works out at £0.32 each. If your railway needs more than 32A, maybe you need to operate a 3rd rail as per Southern?