Printed 4mm Private Owner wagon sides

I've got a couple of Pendon wagons, City Coal and Ward of Richmond, but I have also got the same ones from the Southern modellers group. I've also got two Mikes Models wagon, Penlan and Ynys Amman. Somewhere I've got a Mikes Models catalogue, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Slaters Ocean ones I have, which were not bought from Pendon and did not have any Pendon branding on the packaging, are six plank end door, fairly small OCEAN lettering, numbers added by transfer. The Cambrian ones are as listed, seven plank end door, and have larger lettering.

And a caveat. Many of these are not of course pre-grouping - certainly not those on an RCH 1923 vehicle.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

And a caveat. Many of these are not of course pre-grouping - certainly not those on an RCH 1923 vehicle.

A point to remember is that the RCH specifications were bringing together what was 'best practice' at that time and making it a requirement for future wagons to follow them.  Therefore there would be vehicles about pre-whatever date the specification was, which exhibited these features to a greater or lesser extent.  Albeit perhaps only a few years beforehand.

Jim

• Like 2

I have been looking at this very question. In terms of size the '23 version seems little, if at all different from many pre '23 12 tonners. The axleboxes are certainly the main difference. I should also be inclined to change the buffers which are atypical of earlier practice. As so often in railway matters, there was not really an overnight change, more a slow evolution. If anyone can suggest any other significant differences, I for one would be grateful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2019 at 17:07, Penrhos1920 said:

A N Other, No.1, Ynyshir & Knoware Else, the wagon was painted sky blue pink with black lettering in according to K Turton, A Hundredeth Collection.  Looks like RCH 1923 15 plank

Darn. Out of period and not my area. I think you'll find that was the builder's photographic livery, in service was probably invisible black. Looking forward to Turton's Old Hundredth!

• Like 1