RWS Loco-Drive James

We all know that the Hornby James model was a re-use of the Tri-ang Hornby 3F with several alterations? Maybe it would be possible to use a Hornby China B12 motor and fit it into the model and replace the tender with a free-wheeler Fowler one? Anyone have any ideas?

Refering to Service Sheet No. 282, you will see that the James chassis is a modified version of the Deeley 3F (i.e. the standard ex-Triang 0-6-0 chassis used on the Jinty, diesel shunter and Pannier). After all, if you are going to use the Deeley 3f body, it would make sense to also use its chassis, powered or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18KhqR_Xz6I

Stick with it. James comes in at about 5.00

I would think it is possible to fit the parts from a late 60s Triang-Hornby 0-6-0 onto the James chassis, or if not, to fit the whole chassis to James body, though that may require some drilling and tapping.

The chassis on the Ivatt 2MT is derived from that of the B12/Hall.

2 hours ago, Tiptonian said:

Refering to Service Sheet No. 282, you will see that the James chassis is a modified version of the Deeley 3F (i.e. the standard ex-Triang 0-6-0 chassis used on the Jinty, diesel shunter and Pannier). After all, if you are going to use the Deeley 3f body, it would make sense to also use its chassis, powered or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18KhqR_Xz6I

Stick with it. James comes in at about 5.00

I would think it is possible to fit the parts from a late 60s Triang-Hornby 0-6-0 onto the James chassis, or if not, to fit the whole chassis to James body, though that may require some drilling and tapping.

The chassis on the Ivatt 2MT is derived from that of the B12/Hall.

Thanks for the tips and advice. It's gnna be quite a task to find all the right parts and a real challenge, too. Either the smokebox needs to be cut back or the chimney needs to be moved back. Also, the body needs a gap underneath the boiler like real-life steam locomotives and handrails like those super-detailed models.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to show you all what's coming:

image.png.89e7a507c5e806d36e545198dae7fcf9.png

James is coming along splendidly. With proper detail and a much more responsible and reliable loco-drive Chassis from the Bachman 3F 0-6-0, the loco should now be given a whole new leash on life.

image.png.a4e6cbc1efc94f9a16523db8fbe24eb3.png

Note the handrails, improved details, sprung buffers, detailed whistle mounted on top of cab, better chimney and such on the model, the number has yet to be added - more coming soon!

• Like 1