New Hornby Javelin

No Decorum

This morning, Hornby announced a new Hitachi “Javelin”: 395 013 Hornby Visitor Centre, which I thought merited its own topic.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/south-eastern-class-395-Hornby-visitor-centre.html?utm_campaign=2390246_Hornby - R3813 Announcement - Week 10 2019%2F2020&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&utm_content=R3813&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,1F8BQ,JS9A3,4Q7EJ,1

image.png.8b2430739363c8d65681da43c49bb58c.png

This works for me in a couple of ways. I thought that Hornby’s first Javelin, whilst having many simplified features, was beautiful; its sleek shape helped by a restrained livery as appealing as the new GWR green is (in my opinion) dull. To produce a reasonable looking four-car train for £159·99 (less after retailer’s discounts) is a superb answer to people frightened at the possible cost of a four-car MU. The pantograph may not be up to much and there is no mention of lights but still, a nice offering. Its simple features might make it just the thing for my young grandson; a first “real” train.

Judging by the earlier models, the coaches are joined by simple plastic vertical fishtail couplings fitting into sockets on the adjacent vehicle and the motor will be the effective five-pole effort mounted on one bogie and using (ugh) traction tyres.

Edited by No Decorum
To correct price.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is this single bogie powered, with a brace of tyres, and 4WD or centre-motored, shafts and 8WD?

Al.

It will be single bogie drive like the previous releases. A new tooled version would be a lot more than £159.99

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks to be the standard 'train set' model  with an extra centre car, so a single power bogie at the inner end of one of the driving cars. The train set version our son has does feature directional headlights. The couplings on his are different though (rigid bars with vertical pegs slotting into holes on next vehicle's bar).

42 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Looks to be the standard 'train set' model  with an extra centre car. The couplings on his are different though (rigid bars with vertical pegs slotting into holes on next vehicle's bar).

The artwork clearly shows the higher-spec train pack model.....

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Looks to be the standard 'train set' model  with an extra centre car, so a single power bogie at the inner end of one of the driving cars. The train set version our son has does feature directional headlights. The couplings on his are different though (rigid bars with vertical pegs slotting into holes on next vehicle's bar).

As shown above, it appears to be the higher spec model. I have a previous release of this model, and unlike the 'train set' version (marketed as 'Blue Rapier') these models have see-through windows and seating units. The photo shows 395 001, and compares favourably with the photos in Invicta Informant's post.

Traction is from one power bogie with traction tyres.

48027467481_28c88f9e2d_b.jpg
P_20190609_113357_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here's an image to help members distinguish between the two Class 395 Javelin's produced by Hornby....

R1139_26530_Qty1_5.jpg.31b3e349135d2823a448e470833d9166.jpg

The full spec one have a better coupling that resembles a usual "NEM pocket and dovetail arrangement" on it's side
The full spec model also has the black window surrounds which is part of the livery on the prototype.

The train set spec has a very basic "hook n' loop" coupling as seen on many cheap trainsets.
The train set also lacks the black band and I think the windows aren't transparent.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

If it has the hi-level cyclops light then it has the high mounted PCBs associated with DCC Ready and internal detail visible thro’ clear windows. Basic train-set Blue Rapier had blacked out windows and no internal detail, and rudimentary directional headlights only. I converted my B-R to cyclops, white/red directional and added a DCC socket as well as ditching the traction tyres. Article about it on my signature linked webpages.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

Here is the Javelin that has been named and the pre-production model on display on the Hornby stand at the Ramsgate Depot Open Day.

Simon Kohler was in attendance.

DSC03059.JPG

DSC03050.JPG

DSC03090.JPG

Definitely looks like the full fat version.

But the signage above the running number is a bit sloppy. I think I'll stick to my Sir Steve Redgrave.

6 hours ago, truffy said:

Definitely looks like the full fat version.

But the signage above the running number is a bit sloppy. I think I'll stick to my Sir Steve Redgrave.

It is very poor. Let’s hope it’s just been improvised for the announcement.

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It is very poor. Let’s hope it’s just been improvised for the announcement.

It's just a sticker/decal hurried put on in time for the event. Quite obvious that it's just applied by hand. The production models will have the logo tampo-printed on in the factory in China.

PS: It looks like the "Hornby" sticker normally applied to their R8250 controller.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It's just a sticker/decal hurried put on in time for the event. Quite obvious that it's just applied by hand. The production models will have the logo tampo-printed on in the factory in China.

PS: It looks like the "Hornby" sticker normally applied to their R8250 controller.

I agree that the Hornby part looks like a sticker, but I was referring to the signage as a whole: black background, size and justification of lettering.

I suppose that it could be two stickers that will be replaced by proper tampo printing. I'd certainly hope so.

Edited by truffy
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, truffy said:

I agree that the Hornby part looks like a sticker, but I was referring to the signage as a whole: black background, size and justification of lettering.

I suppose that it could be two stickers that will be replaced by proper tampo printing. I'd certainly hope so.

Well I don't think we need to worry about paint quality from Hornby, they do some of the best jobs in the industry. The model on display itself is clearly just a quick mock up, the prototype itself doesn't have the black background which you've pointed out.

I'm fairly certain that the model will be finished off at a high quality like always and even if decals are used, we know Hornby are good at that too eg: Class 800 IEP Test Train. Those used decals and it was done superbly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, truffy said:

Hey!

I've just been in touch with Paul at Hornby and brought to his attention the difference in the model and prototype.

He replied promptly and said that the sample on display was something that was done a few days ago based on the artwork that South Eastern Railway has provided Hornby with.

As always Paul is extremely helpful with regards to all these things and I have shared this on this thread with his prior permission.

I'm not sure if the prototype will change later on or what but either way Hornby are working with SouthEasternRailway and the model will reflect the prototype....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have the old Redgrave version like it a lot. I think it captures the look of the prototype extremely well and it runs beautifully. Despite many having a downer on motor bogies the Hornby unit is wonderfully smooth and quiet and performs perfectly well in this model. At the price this is a real bargain. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1