New Hornby Javelin

No Decorum

• 11 months later...

Now this has been out a while has anybody got it and what do they think of it? I have found it now at £128 and so I am thinking despite it not being my region of interest it looks excellent value for money, and adding the extra 2 cars gets me a 6 car EMU for under £200 including postage.

• RMweb Gold

Had as good look at one that belongs to a friend. A nice model but it all looks a bit fragile to me especially the coupling mechanisms. Fine if you have a permanent layout and you can leave the train on the layout.

• 3 years later...

Hi folks, not being well-versed in the modern image area of UK motive power I figured this would be best to ask here. 

I recently ordered and received one of the Hornby Class 395 train packs, I believe it's the 2009 set (R2821). Finding the appropriate coaches (R4382 and R4383) to that specific set hasn't been the easiest task, so I'm thinking of picking up the currently available add-on two-pack for the Hornby Visitor Center version of the Javelin. I know that these have different coach numbers, but is there any other significant differences that I can't immediately see from stock product images? I can live with incorrect coach numbers and would re-number them eventually, but I'd like to get that prototypical-length train.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AustinJames said:

Hi folks, not being well-versed in the modern image area of UK motive power I figured this would be best to ask here. 

I recently ordered and received one of the Hornby Class 395 train packs, I believe it's the 2009 set (R2821). Finding the appropriate coaches (R4382 and R4383) to that specific set hasn't been the easiest task, so I'm thinking of picking up the currently available add-on two-pack for the Hornby Visitor Center version of the Javelin. I know that these have different coach numbers, but is there any other significant differences that I can't immediately see from stock product images? I can live with incorrect coach numbers and would re-number them eventually, but I'd like to get that prototypical-length train.

Most obvious risk is the paint shades from 2009 not matching 2020’s

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 02/02/2024 at 17:07, AustinJames said:

The paint shades are close on all of these and apart from the coach numbers (in fact only the final digits) they are identical. Indeed for the second release of the 395 Hornby didn't made any specific extra coaches so you just had to use those from the earlier release. There's a surfeit of the add-on coach packs for the Hornby Visitor Centre model right now so they can be had for good prices. 

• Like 2