Guagemaster Prodigy availability - Whats going on

Clive192

Hi all, any help with this would be appreciated

Since last February I have had on order with Rails of Shefield a Guagemaster Prodigy DCC04 system. They have not had stock since last Christmas. I have telephoned Guagemaster and they have said that they "think" there is a supply issue in the USA. I have searched other retailers who all seem to be in the same position - Have they gone out of business ?

Does anyone have any info re what's happening?

Regards

Clive

The Model Rectifier Corp's web site shows the Prodigy Advance (squared),  Prodigy Advance (squared) Wireless  and the Prodigy Wireless Conversion Set as "out of stock.

The Prodigy Express (squared) and Prodigy Elite are still showing as available.

Except for the Elite, Gaugemaster sell all these systems under their own badge.

If the original manufacturing brand is out of stock, it would possibly explain why Gaugemaster can't get hold of their badge engineered versions from MRC.

I've noticed MRC's DCC systems do get flagged up as "out of stock" from time to time; but this shortage has been going on for a while now.   ??????

• RMweb Premium

I would presume that they are made in batches as those still available are the newer arrivals. Given the recent takeover and the introduction of the phone/tablet Wi-fi module perhaps a realignment of the product range is being considered with regard to the Wi-fi controller range before more batches are produced. It’s just a thought.

Izzy

51 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I would presume that they are made in batches as those still available are the newer arrivals. Given the recent takeover and the introduction of the phone/tablet Wi-fi module perhaps a realignment of the product range is being considered with regard to the Wi-fi controller range before more batches are produced. It’s just a thought.

The MRC WiFi module is out of stock, as is the Prodigy Advance (squared) WiFi (a PA2 + WiFi module set).

Also out of stock at MRC, are wireless handsets, boosters and extension faceplates. 

In fact there's not much left available at the present time.

The takeover may have affected orders for new batches, or the trade dispute may be having an adverse effect.

They could be working on a new, more up to date replacement system. 

Who knows?

There's no point speculating about it because short of some sort of announcement, we haven't a clue.

All we know, is that the Prodigy range from MRC (and by association, Gaugemaster) is in very short supply in the model shops and out of stock at the manufacturer.

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have now cancelled my order for the Guagemaster.

I have found the following two systems as possible alternatives. I know the NCE does not have a wireless option (in the UK) which is a pain but I can build in sockets around the layout to give me a sort of "walk about" The Digitrax system is unknown to me, 

NCE - Power Pro £512

Digitrax - Evolution Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set Duplex £540

Can anyone give me guidance on the above?

Regards

Clive

• RMweb Gold

Get yourself a hands-on demo of each system if you possibly can. Hopefully you'll only ever buy one DCC system, and so it needs to feel right to you, whatever the rest of us recommend. It would also be fair to say that European DCC systems are very popular with many RMwebbers, so do not limit yourself to the US systems unless you have a very specific need to do so.

I have used Digitrax for more than 20 years, but so what?

3 hours ago, Clive192 said:

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have now cancelled my order for the Guagemaster.

I have found the following two systems as possible alternatives. I know the NCE does not have a wireless option (in the UK) which is a pain but I can build in sockets around the layout to give me a sort of "walk about" The Digitrax system is unknown to me, 

NCE - Power Pro £512

Digitrax - Evolution Advanced 5A/8A Starter Set Duplex £540

Can anyone give me guidance on the above?

As Olddudders said you really need to try handsets out (preferably with some guidance from someone who's used that handset for some time), and work out your requirements.   At the moment, all we know is that you have a budget of £500+ (because you're considering £500+ systems) and an interest in wireless systems.     Wireless covers a multitude of possibilities, from dedicated maker specific wireless handsets, through handsets which can work on several systems, through to smartphones and tablets.  

At £500 there are a lot of diverging interests, which may or may not be of interest to you, such as:   Potential layout size (ie. how many locos on the move at one time),  whether turnouts are controlled by DCC or other means,  whether there are control panels indicating turnouts, signals and track occupancy,  locomotive identification (primarily "RailCom", which neither Digitrax nor NCE support),  computer control of part of a layout (another huge can of worms),  visiting users bringing their own handsets (which might be their phone), and probably others,

I've used a lot of systems, including NCE and Digitrax.  I have a fair bit of LocoNet compatible hardware (Digitrax).   At £500, neither would be first on my "go to" list today;  I'd be looking at the European and UK makers:  eg, in no particular order:    Roco, ESU, Uhlenbrock, Signatrak,  Digikeijs.    Which of those would depend on the actual requirements for the layout, and not every item from those names would be on my "consider this" list.      ( I've skipped Lenz from the list as they seem to be a long way behind the development curve these days, and Zimo as their command stations are probably too expensive if the budget is circa £500 ). 

- Nigel

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

JohnDMJ's link is dated February, so it is certainly taking some time for product to re-emerge. Yet Prodigy is generally liked, it would seem, so they have every reason to continue.  

The effectual cessation of MRC as an entity is going to take a while to replace.

• Informative/Useful 1

Piko isn’t yet well known but it is up and coming with very well specified systems - worth adding into the mix of excellent European DCC systems.

https://www.piko-america.com/products/piko-smartcontrol-basic-set-all-scales

https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/243-piko-smartcontrol

Edited by WIMorrison
Added URL

I've had the Digitrax system for ten years and very pleased with it, recently upgraded it and added extra bits which all work well with the original bits. One thing I'm impressed with is the backup Digitrax has if you have any problems, I needed a bit of advice with the signalling boards as I wanted to do something with them not designed to do.

Simon

23 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Piko isn’t yet well known but it is up and coming with very well specified systems - worth adding into the mix of excellent European DCC systems.

Interesting devices, some with attractive prices.  But use a little bit of caution: Piko appear to be badge-engineering other people's products.  Their "smart control" is a version of an ESU unit.  They also have an entry level system which is derived from an Uhlenbrock system.   The products in DCC-Train-Automation's website look a lot like boxes from Uhlenbrock and ESU.     The caution is to check compatibility if wanting to use a computer interface with the stuff,  one may find the devices are not supported, or are not quite the same as the original maker's version of the product. 

- Nigel

57 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

........Piko appear to be badge-engineering other people's products.  Their "smart control" is a version of an ESU unit. .......

....... The caution is to check compatibility if wanting to use a computer interface with the stuff,  one may find the devices are not supported, or are not quite the same as the original maker's version of the product. 

The full fat Piko SmartControl is a badge engineered version of the ESU CabControl (currently not sold in Europe).

CabControl and SmartControl are based on the ECoS core and have the same computer control compatibility as the ESU systems.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

Hi all

many thanks for your reply’s.

just to be clear on my requirements-

the layout is 18feet x 15feet 00. I want to be able to run a maximum of 3 locos at the same time. I have a collection of approximately 40 locos.

the “wireless” functionality is important as I need to be able to move to different places on the layout due to not being able to see anything at a distance and for other reasons a tethered system will not work for me.

Ive just looked at the Piko system and it looks really interesting.

regards

Clive

I had the same issue as you and resolved it with a Hornby Elite, Railmaster, a wireless mouse and a couple of PC screens dotted around the layout. Works well and means I can run the whole layout from 3 different places.

35 minutes ago, Clive192 said:

Hi all

many thanks for your reply’s.

just to be clear on my requirements-

the layout is 18feet x 15feet 00. I want to be able to run a maximum of 3 locos at the same time. I have a collection of approximately 40 locos.

the “wireless” functionality is important as I need to be able to move to different places on the layout due to not being able to see anything at a distance and for other reasons a tethered system will not work for me.

OK, if you say tethered won't work - but what people have done for ages is to have multiple sockets along their layout, most DCC systems allow you to set a train running, unplug, move to a different socket, plug-in again and resume control where you left it. 

On that list of requirements, I'd be looking at a Roco Z21 (note capital Z, there is also the cheaper z21 which does meet your requirements but has fewer options for expansion) with an optional wireless (WiFi) MultiMaus.      Should be about £400 for Z21 system and one MultiMaus from UK retailers, may be cheaper if sourced from Germany.   Can use a smartphone or tablet as throttle and control interface in addition to MultiMaus - one option would be to run continuous mainline trains on the touch screen of phone/tablet, and local shunting on the MultiMaus. 

Maybe the Piko system, though check how expandable it is for additional handsets should you need them.

- Nigel

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

.....Maybe the Piko system, though check how expandable it is for additional handsets should you need them.

- Nigel

The SmartControl is capable of simultaneous use of up to 32 SmartControl handsets.

So there's no real issue with the number of handsets that can be used.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

I have the Z21 system and using both ipad and mobile phone (£35) and for the £340 plus phone I find it a very good system, being able to use own photos of my locos selected on screen means I do not have to remember the DCC number. I have a PA2, Hornby E link and wireless + computer links for both systems used on layouts but the Z21 is the best in my opinion,

As already stated it is best to try as many systems as you can and see which is best for you.

3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

@Nigelcliffe What limitation to expansion are the with a Z21, I haven't managed to find one yet?

I wrote:  "a Roco Z21 (note capital Z, there is also the cheaper z21 which does meet your requirements but has fewer options for expansion) with an optional wireless (WiFi) MultiMaus"

Which I think is clear:  The z21 has fewer expansion options than the Z21. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I wrote:  "a Roco Z21 (note capital Z, there is also the cheaper z21 which does meet your requirements but has fewer options for expansion) with an optional wireless (WiFi) MultiMaus"

Which I think is clear:  The z21 has fewer expansion options than the Z21. 

ISTR the z21 (lower case z) is not officially available from Roco so where can I find one?

BTW, how does this relate to the thread title of "Guagemaster Prodigy availability - Whats going on"?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

BTW, how does this relate to the thread title of "Guagemaster Prodigy availability - Whats going on"?

Because Gaugemaster is unable to supply their product, and the OP wants to run trains?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

ISTR the z21 (lower case z) is not officially available from Roco so where can I find one?

Usually available from retailers and resellers who split up brand new Roco "start sets" (i.e. train sets) and sell the contents (loco, coaches, wagons, DCC system) separately.

eBay is the usual port of call to find a brand new z21.

Sometimes they are sold together with a (tethered) MultiMaus.

Prices vary between just over £100 to around £165.