Guagemaster Prodigy availability - Whats going on

Clive192

On 10/06/2019 at 21:09, JohnDMJ said:

The effectual cessation of MRC as an entity is going to take a while to replace.

42 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Because Gaugemaster is unable to supply their product, and the OP wants to run trains?

If there is no current product to supply then Gaugemaster can not supply it.

3 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Usually available from retailers and resellers who split up brand new Roco "start sets" (i.e. train sets) and sell the contents (loco, coaches, wagons, DCC system) separately.

eBay is the usual port of call to find a brand new z21.

Sometimes they are sold together with a (tethered) MultiMaus.

Prices vary between just over £100 to around £165.

and without warranty, no doubt. (and the ordinary Multimaus does NOT need to be tethered.)

Edited by JohnDMJ

13 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

and without warranty, no doubt. (and the ordinary Multimaus does NOT need to be tethered.)

I've no idea about the warranty situation, but I do wonder how Roco could possibly determine that you don't have the track and train that was originally packaged with the DCC system (provided you have some sort of proof of purchase)?

As for your second part....."the ordinary Multimaus does NOT need to be tethered"...... I don't understand what you mean?

By "tethered", I meant the regular "wired" MultiMaus, that needs to be connected, ie. "tethered", to work.

Of course you don't need to use it, to operate the z21 if an alternative throttle is used (e.g. the WiFi MultiMaus or smartphone/tablet).

"Tethered" throttle/cabs/handsets is a commonly used terminology for describing such which has to be connected by a cable to work.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

8 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

As for your second part....."the ordinary Multimaus does NOT need to be tethered"...... I don't understand what you mean?

With the multimaus, is it not just a question of plugging the cable in?

AFAIC, tethering is something you do with a mobile phone to allow another device to talk to the interweb.

The tethering term has been adopted by 'phone users as you state however it was in use for connecting devices to other devices by removable cables long before mobile phones and the internet appeared ;)

It is valid to use it in the case of model railways where you can plug in, unplug and plug back in a handheld controller to the command station. When the handset is use it is tethered to the command station, when not tethered it cannot be used - same as a phone and internet (which BTW can also be tethered via bluetooth or wifi, it doesn't necessarily mean a wire :) )

• Agree 1

On 11/06/2019 at 14:03, Clive192 said:

Hi all

many thanks for your reply’s.

just to be clear on my requirements-

the layout is 18feet x 15feet 00. I want to be able to run a maximum of 3 locos at the same time. I have a collection of approximately 40 locos.

the “wireless” functionality is important as I need to be able to move to different places on the layout due to not being able to see anything at a distance and for other reasons a tethered system will not work for me.

Ive just looked at the Piko system and it looks really interesting.

regards

Clive

In that case, I'd be looking into the Digikeijs DR5000 which gives you wireless via the Z21 app, sufficient power with a supplied power supply, and room to expand with tethered or wireless throttles from various manufacturers. All for less than £170.