Ex LNER Tourist Stock Buffet Cars in the 1960s

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Today I have been looking for information and photos relating to LNER diagram 168 Tourist Stock Buffet Cars running in the 1960s. These coaches were fitted out the same as the diagram 167 Buffet Cars when built. Where they modified in the late 1950s like the diagram 167 cars? If so were the windows behind the kitchen and serving counter blanked off like the 167 Buffet Cars?

All the photos I have found relating to these coaches have been in LNER days. Does anyone have a photo of one in BR days, especially showing the kitchen side?

Thanks in advance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I don’t know if this is of any help but:-

I have in my possession a book entitled Historic Carriage Drawings – Vol. 1 - LNER and Constituents.

Author: Nick Campling;   Publisher:   Pendragon, 1997;   ISBN No. 1-899816-04-6.

The book contains drawings in 4mm scale of both Diagrams 167 and 168. I seem to recall that there have been some issues raised on RMWeb regarding the accuracy of some drawings, and in his introduction page, David Jenkinson acknowledges this when pointing out the pitfalls involved in trying to accurately produce a 4mm drawing from works drawings which may not themselves incorporate design modifications.

Unfortunatley, it doesn’t contain any of the photos that you are asking for, or much info in the texts, although it is pointed out that both diagrams ran on the same underframe and running gear, but that photographic evidence should be checked for battery boxes on dia. 168.

Sorry I can't help out with the photos.

John

Hi Clive

There is a photo of one in maroon on Paul Bartlett’s site which is of the corridor side. It looks like the windows on the counter side are unchanged, as they appear to be visible through the carriage, albeit not clearly. I modified my Mailcoach kit to the d167 style before I noticed this. I do have a photo of another example in withdrawn state which is more ambiguous, unfortunately I can’t post it on here. PM me if you wish.

Simon

To the best of my knowledge 4 Tourist Buffet cars were rebuilt by BR in the same manner as the Standard cars. Indeed Tourist car E9146E was the prototype ex-LNER buffet car rebuild in 1956. This was slightly odd as it gained round cornered 4 part quarter-light windows. The first production batch of 10 in 1958/9 included Tourist cars E9138E, E9139E & E9149E. These appear to have retained their 3 part original windows.

There is a photo taken at Doncaster on 09/01/61 that shows the kitchen side of one partially, but I don't own the copyright.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

I don’t know if this is of any help but:-

I have in my possession a book entitled Historic Carriage Drawings – Vol. 1 - LNER and Constituents.

Author: Nick Campling;   Publisher:   Pendragon, 1997;   ISBN No. 1-899816-04-6.

The book contains drawings in 4mm scale of both Diagrams 167 and 168. I seem to recall that there have been some issues raised on RMWeb regarding the accuracy of some drawings, and in his introduction page, David Jenkinson acknowledges this when pointing out the pitfalls involved in trying to accurately produce a 4mm drawing from works drawings which may not themselves incorporate design modifications.

Unfortunatley, it doesn’t contain any of the photos that you are asking for, or much info in the texts, although it is pointed out that both diagrams ran on the same underframe and running gear, but that photographic evidence should be checked for battery boxes on dia. 168.

Sorry I can't help out with the photos.

John

Hi John

Thanks. I do have the above mentioned book, and the earlier Ian Allan book by Nick Campling and David Jenkinson. They are both a great source of information. I am in the process of making a GER section short Brake Third Corridor, from Hornby's shortie compo brake.

2 hours ago, 50A55B said:

Hi Clive

There is a photo of one in maroon on Paul Bartlett’s site which is of the corridor side. It looks like the windows on the counter side are unchanged, as they appear to be visible through the carriage, albeit not clearly. I modified my Mailcoach kit to the d167 style before I noticed this. I do have a photo of another example in withdrawn state which is more ambiguous, unfortunately I can’t post it on here. PM me if you wish.

Simon

Hi Simon

I have found it, it looks like an un-rebuilt one. that leaves the option open to make either a rebuilt one or an un-rebuilt one. 

Mark has sent me some information regarding the rebuilt ones in a PM which is also helpful.

Thanks every one.