ESU power pack

zedcell

Hi all ,have recently fitted sound into 2 sets of HSTs with matching pairs of ESU locksound v4.0 decoders and also esu power packs to power and dummy cars.

Both power cars work how they should ,unfortunately the power packs are not working in either of the dummy cars.

All programing has taken place on a dedicated programe track using a NCE powercab cvs set to mirror power cab cv 113 = 240

Aux 6 disabled cv 315 = 0

Have noticed apart from address cv can't be read on dummy car.

Checked pick ups and cleaned wheels .

Have started to scratch my head with this .

So if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know.

As far as I know,

If its an ESU power pack as you say then it should read the decoder but try disconnecting the power pack or if soldered put a connector in the wiring to the power pack so you can disconnect the power pack when programming.

You say 2 sets of HST's, so do you have 4x sound decoders or 2x sound and 2x function only decoders in the dummy's plus 4x power packs?

If you have function only decoders in the dummy's it is unlikely you will read them on a programming track.

The only way is to put a power car on the programming track as well to alter the settings in the dummy then reset the power car back to original setting.

If everything is matching what are you trying to adjust?

Wiggy.

Thanks for the reply it's x4 sound decoders the esu power pack is working in both the power cars ,as when removed from the track the sound continues approx 2 seconds but when i remove  the dummy cars the sound stops instantly.

Also when running I'm getting intermittent breaks in sound from both the dummy cars.

You say disconnect the power pack when reading c.v but the power cars can read all cv with the same connections to the decoder.

The dummy cars have no motor connected to the decoder so they won't be able to produce an acknowledge pulse hence can't be read.

However I don't see any reason why this would affect the power pack. It sounds as though the power packs in those cars are not connected correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grovenor said:

The dummy cars have no motor connected to the decoder so they won't be able to produce an acknowledge pulse hence can't be read.

However I don't see any reason why this would affect the power pack. It sounds as though the power packs in those cars are not connected correctly.

Hi zedcell,

Yes as above, but you never said what you are trying to adjust?

Wiggy.

Whether you can program a dummy car decoder depends upon if your controller can do it and if the decoder can do it. Some can, some can’t, but there are ways of working round that.

Edit - by power pack I see you mean stay-alives, my incorrect comment removed.

Edited by RAF96

2 hours ago, wiggy1 said:

Hi zedcell,

Yes as above, but you never said what you are trying to adjust?

Wiggy.

Not trying to adjust anything just trying to get the power packs to work in the dummy cars like they do in the power cars by mirrorIng the cv with power cars.

4 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Yes may have to desolder and try again but they have been soldered all the same just seems a coincidence it's both dummy cars not working.

2 hours ago, zedcell said:

Not trying to adjust anything just trying to get the power packs to work in the dummy cars like they do in the power cars by mirrorIng the cv with power cars.

Ok,

Interesting.

I've just tried a loco fitted with a stay alive, not ESU  but when its running around the layout and I lift it off the track the motor will run for about 2 seconds if that but the sound cuts of straight a way.

Try your powered HST again and see if the sound keeps playing or its just the motor that keeps going.

Please let us know.

Wiggy.

Will check that asap but from memory when the power car was lifted from the track the sound continued but not the motor .

Sounds like we have totally different results how strange, I'm sure stay alive or the power pack should briefly maintain sound and power.

Just an off the wall thought.

If the dummy car's sound stops on lifting off the track, it suggests to me that the Power Pack is not charging.

Is the Power Pack unable to charge if there is no motor load on the decoder?

21 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Just an off the wall thought.

If the dummy car's sound stops on lifting off the track, it suggests to me that the Power Pack is not charging.

Is the Power Pack unable to charge if there is no motor load on the decoder?

I've fitted power packs or stay a lives to guards vans with lights and they stay on after removing from the track.

I think it depends on the size of the capacitor and the amount of aux's and motor current it can store.

Apart from small shunting locos there is really no need for power packs if the track, wheels and pick ups are in good order and good dropper wires from the track.