Class 74

Well with the demise of dj models I guess the class 74 that was on the back burner (cutters torch) it looks like this model has followed the real locos and slowly made there way to the scrap yards shame as the class 71 was a nice model.

Even though it would have sold even with limited livery of be blue and only pre tops and tops numbers it leaves one of the other manufacturers to try and save one before the cutters torch gets a grip.

Please if your a manufacturer give us a class 74 it is a missing major southern locomotive also we are also missing a Bulleid ray worth two livery’s green and br blue and a third one with a different front end another missing sr electric locomotive. 

In a way a prototype to future electric 3rd rail locos 71 73 74 funny enough they were nick named Hornby s hint hint surprising Hornby Havant done this loco. 

It would be a nice touch .

I guess the demise of dj was a one man band trying to help the railway modellers but with too much lay out and too much on his plate sorry he’s gone after all he was the one who brought us the excellent Dapol class 52 western and should be remembered for that .

• Like 4

If you really want a Class 74, then, as JSpencer says, the re-introduced Silver Fox conversion kit (which includes both body kit and bogey overlays) would seem to be the way.

A Class 74 RTR would be even more of a gamble than the Class 71, which is why many of us hoped DJM's gamble would pay off. I very much doubt any mainstream manufacturer would go there unless/until the market dries up. There are just too many other "in the offing" projects around right now. The 2 HAP is a far more commercial proposition than the Class 74, but Bachmann has prioritised several other projects ahead of it.

19 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

If you really want a Class 74, then, as JSpencer says, the re-introduced Silver Fox conversion kit (which includes both body kit and bogey overlays) would seem to be the way.

A Class 74 RTR would be even more of a gamble than the Class 71, which is why many of us hoped DJM's gamble would pay off. I very much doubt any mainstream manufacturer would go there unless/until the market dries up. There are just too many other "in the offing" projects around right now. The 2 HAP is a far more commercial proposition than the Class 74, but Bachmann has prioritised several other projects ahead of it.

I'd not expect Bachmann to touch it, more likely Hornby as they could perhaps use some of the work for the 71, especially in terms of chassis (though think there are differences in detail, the mechanicals would be fine to be the same). But easiest route atm is a Hornby/DJM 71 + SF 74 body and other details.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Kelly said:

I'd not expect Bachmann to touch it, more likely Hornby as they could perhaps use some of the work for the 71, especially in terms of chassis (though think there are differences in detail, the mechanicals would be fine to be the same). But easiest route atm is a Hornby/DJM 71 + SF 74 body and other details.

SF recommend a Hornby Class 90 as the donor chassis. I think someone else on here used one of the Class 71 chassis, and it, and/or the Silver Fox kit, needed a lot of modification?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As discussed in the other thread, I am drawing up some etches to do overlays and fuel tanks for a DJ Class 71. I was making really good progress, and then that thing called work got in the way...

I hope to have them all done in a couple of weeks and then I will print them as paper templates to try no a model. If all looks good I will get a set etched.

If it doesn't look viable when I do the prints, then it will be a SF resin body instead.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Class 74 rtr from Silver Fox... £150.

C34A6A4C-4FF5-4269-86A9-0F7F6CFA9499.jpeg.f6357d8ed20e329ed1fbc5d8244c8ade.jpeg

on a DCC ready (shortened) class 90 chassis with new side frames / underframe detail. I’d take the class 90 chassis over the DJ 71.

Very nice job by Silver fox.

C6780E4D-F9CF-4EB0-9662-BF8A0D0F9211.jpeg

69FED0A4-1781-4DCF-9619-B046FC778775.jpeg

9209AE16-06BC-4C5D-956F-7894BF77F48B.jpeg

C1FA8A81-1BA6-4895-8772-C019116D5C87.jpeg

90F2F5D4-9FD9-4A4B-ADDB-88BA9BBFE5B9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Administrators

FWIW, I like Silver Fox stuff. Their 07 diesel was very nice and I quite like the look for this one. OK, you need to do a bit of detailing work, but producing a "layout loco" would be satisfying and not difficult.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I put a Silver Fox body on (I think) a Heljan Class 33 chassis many moons ago and it looked the part.  Tempted to do another one day!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Torpedo out of water time, ..... !!

That Silver Fox body paintwork is a nice, neat job, but for that money .... I would be expecting more and finer detail than that.

It looks very '60's era' in quality.

Al.

Locos were introduced I  67 / 68 so spot on .........:-) :-)

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

I think that the price being asked by Silver Fox for their RTR version is very reasonable. 

£50 for the kit, say another £50 for a donor loco (OK some go on ebay for less, but others much more) only leaves £50 to build and paint the loco. 

I'd want more if someone commissioned me to build one.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I put a Silver Fox body on (I think) a Heljan Class 33 chassis many moons ago and it looked the part.  Tempted to do another one day!

Voila! I bought off you via eBay. Here it is about 3 years ago, before the layout was ballasted.

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with @RedgateModels on that.  I can see that it's easy to compare to other new releases but Silver Fox models are hand built and painted (and in the UK too) which is much more time consuming than the full production lines of the big manufacturers, so production costs will be much closer to a hand built model than RTR.  I'd imagine a highly detailed version would end up adding another £100 on top, which would make the price excessive.  For what it is though, whilst not cheap, I don't think it is too much.  It also looks quite a characterful model - in the same way as people were saying on the Bachmann 90 thread about some models having a "wow" factor, this one has a similarly hard to define appeal too I think.

And with the aforementioned Bachmann 90 arriving now, there's going to be plenty of Hornby 90 chassis in need of a new home!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

FWIW, I like Silver Fox stuff. Their 07 diesel was very nice and I quite like the look for this one. OK, you need to do a bit of detailing work, but producing a "layout loco" would be satisfying and not difficult.

Two different markets exist, I often think, even for those who do more than just collect trains. Some have layouts where trains must really stretch their legs, perhaps to a WTT, and so reliable 'layout locos' are acceptable, if the class fits the bill. Others require ultimate detail, but may not operate to the same extent, and for them Silver Fox may not cut the mustard, despite in Class 74 being pretty much the only RTR show in town.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

BR Blue is not an especially difficult livery to do  (even I can manage a respectable result). The main upgrade would be to replace moulded handrails with separate handrails. 

It's an ill wind that blows no good, and I hope Silver Fox do well out of the 74. It could be a good , gentle introduction to the world of model -making

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Ravenser said:

The main upgrade would be to replace moulded handrails with separate handrails. 

Yep, handrails and the jumpers on the front. Neither I guess are too hard to carve off. Dapol spares for the Class 73 would look a lot better and let the models stand side-by-side better.

Roy

• Like 1

I posted some photos on the other DJM Class 74 thread, which is now locked, of my recently completed model, which uses the Silver Fox body and parts, but adapted to a Hornby Class 71 chassis. I carved off the cab moulded details and fitted replacement horizontal handrails, cables, cable pockets and air horns. It runs very well with the Class 71 double bogie drive and weight.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, atom3624 said:

....That Silver Fox body paintwork is a nice, neat job, but for that money .... I would be expecting more and finer detail than that.  It looks very '60's era' in quality.

This is a good marker for what your money buys you in small volume UK production, compared to what can be done in China. I am surprised if anything that the SF price for a complete running model is so small...

• Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I made the pattern for the DC kits 74 (and it has all the detail I could get on it), unlike their 71 I did earlier it has the correct body profile. In between the two I had managed to measure the preserved 71 at York, I've no idea whether Silver Fox are the same moulding or not.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll ask in here seeing as you are already discussing the Sliver Fox model.

Is there any significant difference between the Silver Fox and DC Kits models? I read some where that they are designed for different motor bogies (RTR or Black Beetle).

Is that the only difference?

Jason

When I contacted John Hazleton of Silver Fox, last year, to enquire if he would make the 74 available again, he told me that his 74 casting is based on the DC Kits model, with their permission. I think the difference is that the DC Kits version was designed to use a kit built chassis, whereas the Silver Fox version is designed for a rtr chassis, originally the Hornby (ex Lima) 87, but now they recommend the Hornby Railroad Class 90 chassis. The chassis has to be shortened to fit.

I've just finished the Silver Fox model, adapting the inner part of the body moulding  so I could use a Hornby 71 chassis. What I found was a body moulding that was very well produced, with no cavities or depressions and with very little flash.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2