Class 74

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty confident the tool markings I see on the one above are present on the one I bought from Silverfox two weeks back... when I look at marks around the door kick plates, grill detail.

however there is a single difference... mine has horns fitted, and on the roof above the cab there is a square “box” shape, this isn’t on the Silverfox one (no the horns are not covering it)...it could have been filed off... and of course the jumper cables.

Edited by adb968008

6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

In that case I'm confident the body moulding is accurate and detailed. I also did a pattern for the bogie frames. This is the pattern, moulding should be identical.

Hi Mike,

The front of the Cl 71 / 74 cab is not flat.

There is a seam running from the crown of the roof which forms a peak above the windows and runs straight down the front of the cab. It's not a sever angle, maybe only a few degrees but it changes where the front meets the sides. There is no flat piece above the cab windows. Hornby have the front pretty much exact, DJ Models is close, DC Kits / Silver fox don't capture it. 

Below are, left to right, Hornby, DJ Models, my Hornby/Silverfox combo, Silverfox.

In the top photo it is most obvious on the DJ Models one due to the weathering. In the middle photo it is most obvious above the cab windows of the Hornby moulding. In the bottom photo it very clear at the bottom of the cab on DJ Models one but most on the Hornby one!

All of the models have a flat bottom to the body shell.

Hope this helps (and doesn't cause too much trouble)

Luke

gallery_7204_4567_214527.jpggallery_7204_4567_193601.jpggallery_7204_4567_117372.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

however there is a single difference... mine has horns fitted, and on the roof above the cab there is a square “box” shape, this isn’t on the Silverfox one (no the horns are not covering it)...it could have been filed off...

The Cl71's had the box on the roof with the horns placed in the buffer couling. When they were rebuilt to Cl74's the buffer coulings were removed and the horns relocated to the roof.

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
Spelling!

• RMweb Premium
On 21/06/2019 at 15:14, luke_stevens said:

Hi Mike,

The front of the Cl 71 / 74 cab is not flat.

There is a seam running from the crown of the roof which forms a peak above the windows and runs straight down the front of the cab. It's not a sever angle, maybe only a few degrees but it changes where the front meets the sides. There is no flat piece above the cab windows. Hornby have the front pretty much exact, DJ Models is close, DC Kits / Silver fox don't capture it. 

Below are, left to right, Hornby, DJ Models, my Hornby/Silverfox combo, Silverfox.

In the top photo it is most obvious on the DJ Models one due to the weathering. In the middle photo it is most obvious above the cab windows of the Hornby moulding. In the bottom photo it very clear at the bottom of the cab on DJ Models one but most on the Hornby one!

All of the models have a flat bottom to the body shell.

Hope this helps (and doesn't cause too much trouble)

Luke

gallery_7204_4567_214527.jpggallery_7204_4567_193601.jpggallery_7204_4567_117372.jpg

You're right, my mistake but I did get the body profile right - now if I could get the pattern back to correct it.........

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I know, we spent a considerable time measuring it on E5001 in the warehouse section of the NRM. This involved climbing up some dexion next to the loco and taking offsstes at different heights - we kept being interrupted by the museum staff, not to stop us but just to ask what we were doing and why! I've always found the NRM staff extremely helpful with things like this.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:58, Michael Edge said:

In that case I'm confident the body moulding is accurate and detailed. I also did a pattern for the bogie frames. This is the pattern, moulding should be identical.2039258193_03-01f.JPG.44e0683dbe710b87312db5343147305c.JPG

With this Class 74 thread now in the right place, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities to share information and images of our progress, especially as the resin kit is the best way to achieving an Electro Diesel.

One thing that puzzles me at present is, are the DC Kits and Silver Fox resin bodies one and the same? The bogie sideframes in my Silver Fox kit are a bit under nourished compared to Michael Edge's image shown in the above link, and lack a certain amount of depth, so I've decided to scratchbuild the detail between the axleguards from bits of plastic and brass wire.

Picture below shows a modified Hornby Class 71 bogie.

hornsey_class74-05.jpg

Edited by Kier Hardy
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The reason I asked the question is DC Kits are selling both of them.

If I understand it correctly the Silver Fox version is designed for a RTR chassis whilst the DC Kits version is designed for Black Beetle or Tenshodo motor bogies.

Jason

I guess it comes down to which chassis you can still get hold of / pick up second hand.

Black Beetle will set you back about £55 for one powered & one unpowered or about £80 for both trucks powered. 

My preference, if you can find a cheap one would be to pick up a Hornby Cl 71 and combine. Last summer I got one from Rails for £89.

Whichever you choose, good luck!

Luke

55 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I guess it comes down to which chassis you can still get hold of / pick up second hand.

Black Beetle will set you back about £55 for one powered & one unpowered or about £80 for both trucks powered. 

My preference, if you can find a cheap one would be to pick up a Hornby Cl 71 and combine. Last summer I got one from Rails for £89.

Whichever you choose, good luck!

Luke

I managed to pick up a cheap brand new Hornby Class 71, which started the ball rolling for my Silver Fox / Hornby hybrid Class 74 project. Having carried out a few modifications to the chassis block, I have to say this isn't one for the faint-hearted. It will also become apparent that the circuit board capacitors hit the thick resin ceiling before the body is fully seated, so will involve further surgery to the inside of the roof area if you want to keep it. I'll be discarding my PCB and hardwiring between the pickups and the motor with a simple suppression circuit instead.

Here's progress so far.....

hornsey_class74-12.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

<snip>

Having carried out a few modifications to the chassis block, I have to say this isn't one for the faint-hearted.

<snip>

I agree with you on that! Mine is still in progress. Chassis is finished and body needing details on the ends. It's a long duration project.

Luke

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Just picked up a full DC kits un built 71 kit off Ebay last night, @Roy Langridge if you do get your etches for a 74 complete do you think they could be used on it? Rather have a 74 than a 71

Cheers

James

Ah, so that was you. I saw this on ebay and watched it but didn't in the end make a bid.

Side etches would indeed be very useful. Looking at Keir Hardy's work above and on EM gauge 70's, there isn't actually a lot of the Silver Fox resin left at the end. Overlays/ etches for the sides and possibly roof (although that could be done with plasticard) would be just the job applied to a 71 by either Hornby or DC Kits.

John.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Ah, so that was you. I saw this on ebay and watched it but didn't in the end make a bid.

Side etches would indeed be very useful. Looking at Keir Hardy's work above and on EM gauge 70's, there isn't actually a lot of the Silver Fox resin left at the end. Overlays/ etches for the sides and possibly roof (although that could be done with plasticard) would be just the job applied to a 71 by either Hornby or DC Kits.

John.

Yes it was me! Been watching it for a while, had a couple of beers and got a little carried away but under 50 quid including post i dont think is too unreasonable, be keen to give a 74 a go. Keirs work is fantastic, so thats my inspiration, but if Roys etches come to fruition itl be a great help!

Cheers

James

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

With E6107 having been sat in the workshops at Hornsey for a few months, with the foreman (and workforce) unsure as how to proceed with them there grills, I'm pleased to announce that the Class 74 project is now complete. There's been a couple of hours testing and running under its belt, so it's now into service and making regular appearances at Hornsey Broadway on inter-regional freights and the occasional excursion.

hornsey_class74-27.jpg.a2f3a253fe317ad3e4bede3d6dbc712d.jpgThere were a few initial issues with the drive train gearing within the bogies, but this has now been rectified and the loco runs smoothly. I have to say at this point that the Hornby Class 71 bogie is over-complicated and over-engineered in comparison to other contemporary model loco designs.

hornsey_class74-26.jpg.384499d9ac14e8a54f08b73970c89c95.jpgI've managed to produce a slight blemish to the bodyside behind the drivers position, but am happy to live with it rather than potentially make it worse.

:clapping:Right...... on to the next project 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 8 months later...
On 24/06/2019 at 23:42, Kier Hardy said:

I managed to pick up a cheap brand new Hornby Class 71, which started the ball rolling for my Silver Fox / Hornby hybrid Class 74 project. Having carried out a few modifications to the chassis block, I have to say this isn't one for the faint-hearted. It will also become apparent that the circuit board capacitors hit the thick resin ceiling before the body is fully seated, so will involve further surgery to the inside of the roof area if you want to keep it. I'll be discarding my PCB and hardwiring between the pickups and the motor with a simple suppression circuit instead.

Sorry for a late reply - only recently found this thread

Does you 74 run on DCC and if so did you totally remove the circuit board and hard wire a chip?

Thanks

Peter

1 hour ago, Peter749 said:

Sorry for a late reply - only recently found this thread

Does you 74 run on DCC and if so did you totally remove the circuit board and hard wire a chip?

Thanks

Peter

No chips in any of my locos, just good old fashioned (antiquated) and reliable (simple) 2 wires. Hornby circuit board removed, but it could have stayed if some material was removed from the ceiling in the resin bodyshell

• Like 1