Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Roy Jackson

Brinkly

• Administrators

This thread was hidden for a few days at the request of Roy's family who wanted to keep his passing off social media until everyone had been informed. I'm told that this has now been carried out, so the thread is reinstated so we can pay tribute to a true master modeller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Sad news indeed..

A few years back while on a Hobby Holidays Modelling weekend Geoff Kent our tutor arranged a visit to meet Roy Jackson and of course to see the amazing layout Retford 

I can’t say I knew Roy but I much admired Retford.

RIP Roy 

Eltel (Terry)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2019 at 11:12, davefrk said:

I for one will miss Roy very much and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had various cryptic or humerous answerphone messages left from Mrs Jacksons little boy.

Here's to Roy.

Dave Franks.

Indeed, or the occasional message from ‘that’ email address. A very sad loss to the hobby, and more importantly his family and friends.

I would also like to express my gratitude to those family and close friends who gave so much time and help to Roy over the past few weeks.

Edited by PMP
  • Agree 3

Very sorry to hear of Roy's passing.

Roy always made me feel welcome at the former Retford open days. He always liked to have a chat at shows and was interested in what I was up to.

I snapped this photo of Roy, being scanned at Scale Four North 2015! Always makes me chuckle!

10338332_10152857286212984_679437339061400926_n.jpg.21320390a12d5bd5d6dc65ed9504e3fa.jpg

There was, and only ever will be one Roy Jackson. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'd just like to reiterate all the comments made in praise of a great modeller, one of the most influential of his generation and a dear friend.

I've posted an appreciation of him on Wright Writes, because I think it's more personal. 

The hobby is much the poorer for his passing.

My condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Sad, sad news this.

I have some wonderful memories of Roy from years ago, his honest opinions could be blunt to some but you knew it was genuine, good or bad.

The layouts he was involved with, all those locomotives and the masterpiece, Retford. All are testament to his skills and frankly those skills should be celebrated and remembered.

Our hobby is poorer on Roy's passing...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

so sorry to hear this news. I spoke with Roy a number of times over the years. Always had time for you, interesting, inspirational and entertaining to listen to. Undoubtedly one of the finest and most prolific of loco builders.

RIP Roy

• Agree 2

Very, very sad news.

I had the fortune of visiting Roy and seeing Retford a few years back,  and feel priviliged to have met Roy and seen his fanastic layout.

The model railway hobby has lost one of its giants, but today my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

• Agree 2

Not a lot I can say other than what a loss. I loved his down to earth approach to modeling, his layouts and his sharp sense of humour embodied as PMP says in "that" E mail address (they were always a delight to open) and a certain editorial he wrote. When we had New Hey at Expo EM South as it was then, he sought refuge behind the layout to escape the attentions of a certain well known individual, and kept us in stitches with his description of him. Roy is one of the four people who inspired / persuaded me to model in EM, as he did a lot of others. RIP Roy, and my and the rest of the Rochdale groups condolences to family and friends, especially the Retford crew. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I did not know Roy but had the great fortune to be invited through Tony Wright, to visit Retford last year along with two friends.

Despite never having met the three of us, Roy not only made us most welcome, but within minutes was allowing us to "drive" Retford unsupervised.

What an inspirational layout it is, and I do hope that perhaps some thought has been given as to how Retford might be preserved as a memorial to the man himself and his amazing modelling.

RIP Roy Jackson.

Tony

• Like 3

Having known Roy for more years than I care to remember and  having visited Retford Layout numerous time,s one of the things Roy did for me was introduce me to a large circle of top railway modellers that I can now call friends.

I have lost a true friend as well as a wonderful modeller and most of all a truly great human being.RIP Roy.

• Agree 1

So sad to hear this yesterday. Roy was something of an icon to us mere mortals of the model world which was something I doubt he ever accepted or even recognised the concept of. Whilst his skills and achievements more than justified celebrity status, in my limited experience of him, it’s something he would have found totally alien. 

The standards he set were high, extremely high and I don’t think he ever understood why people thought that they were anything other than ordinary. Modest to the core, his simple view to me at Expo EM a few years ago was that if an “experienced bodger” like him could manage it, it couldn’t be difficult. The reality of it, as everyone else recognised, was that his work was at the very top of the tree, pushed the boundaries  and illustrated the true craftsman that he was.

Whilst we’ve lost a real giant of our hobby, and a genuinely nice guy, the vast legacy he left will enrich us for years to come. Sleep soundly Roy.

• Like 3

Shocked and so sad when I heard this, this morning. Whenever I saw Roy at exhibitions, I always made time to sit down to spend time listening and talking to him. He loved talking to people and always had something interesting, witty and funny to say and as such it was always a highlight of any exhibition visit. I was also very fortunate to visit Retford on a few occasions. The standard of modelling and the sheer size of what he and friends achieved with Retford is without equal. While ever there is a model railway community, Roy will be remembered with great fondness. RIP Roy, you'll be massively missed.

• Agree 2

Such very sad news and a huge loss to the railway modelling community. You just need to read the words people have used to gauge the esteem in which Roy was held.

I very much enjoyed our conversations at shows over the years, his forthright opinion and pithy wit, always struck a chord with me.

A generous, visionary of a man, whose legacy in Retford, will hopefully go some way towards filling the void he leaves behind.

RIP Roy, and condolences to those closest to him.

Andy.

• Agree 1