Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Roy Jackson

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

I first met Roy many years ago through mutual friends and had enjoyed conversations and verbal abuse ever since, he was always very supportive of my modelling, often bringing dragging  people to my first exhibition layout, 'Fellburn' to show them the 'body in a carpet' under the arches. A few years later exhibiting Greyscroft at Shipley, Roy just had to be stood watching when a short stopped the whole layout, he couldn't have been more supportive offering suggestions to fix the fault, not all of them involved heavy tools... 

Many enjoyable visits to see Retford followed over the years and it was great to see such an epic project developing.

The last time I saw Roy was at Scalefour North (he did admit, although wispered, that it was a good show despite there being no EM...) and had our usual natter but he didn't look well at all, but I thought all was not lost as he still swore at me... 

RIP you old B*%$&^#

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

bollox2p4

Great man

Tim

I was there when he got his first computer and helped him set that up. The version he first wanted to use was considerably ruder than that but the internet provider kept saying "Sorry, we won't let you use that sort of language in an email address" so we had to tinker until we found something he and they were happy with.

Happy times.....

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

What can one say - truly a great bloke who has left a massive hole.  I first met him in the early 80s and our conversations over the intervening years were always both entertaining and worthwhile.  You will be very sorely missed Roy. RIP.

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I never met Roy, but I was a big admirer of Retford and the workmanship that had gone into the layout and its stock. The hobby has lost one of the greats and my sincerest condolences go out to his family and friends. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have already posted my feelings for Roy in Tony Wright’s thread. I would like to reiterate that I feel that Roy’s death is a great loss to the hobby.

He was a gentleman and a friend and I am very sorry that he has gone.

I again send my condolences to Geoff and Chris and to all his family.

Sandra

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I didn’t know Roy personally and I only ever came across once, at Wells, when he was assisting with Black Lion Crossing. He was explaining why he was wearing two pairs of glasses. His lasting legacy will be his wonderful modelling. RIP sir.

Stephen

• Like 1

I consider myself to have been very fortunate to have met Roy and to have visited his Retford three times (2008, 2013 and 2017) considering I live on the other side of the world. 

Each time Roy was most welcoming. Having the privilege to operate Retford is something I'll never forget. Driving an A4 with a heavy train south through Retford took some practice.

I was also most fortunate in being able to take others from Oz with me on two of those occasions. The last time in 2017, Roy had had some form of back surgery the day before we visited but still he welcomed us even though he was in some discomfort. He told me then that Retford would never be finished.

I can only hope it is possible to save Retford - one of the most inspirational layouts I've ever seen or am likely to see - it would be a great memorial to a truly remarkable man.

My condolences to Roy's family and friends.

RIP Roy.

Andrew Emmett  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I first met Roy at Leeds Show in the Corn Exchange in the late 1970s. Who else would have a compensated EM gauge tailed (and lamped) black rodent on the back of a train ?

Never been to see Retford  but it looks a fantastic layout. I will miss the (very) occasional chat with a master modeller. Go give them a talking to Jacko!

Commiserations to family and friends alike

Baz

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

I first met Roy at Leeds Show in the Corn Exchange in the late 1970s. Who else would have a compensated EM gauge tailed (and lamped) black rodent on the back of a train ?

Never been to see Retford  but it looks a fantastic layout. I will miss the (very) occasional chat with a master modeller. Go give them a talking to Jacko!

Commiserations to family and friends alike

Baz

I think the rodent was red, Barry,

One Rastus by name; scooting along behind a Pullman on High Dyke and finally Retford, what fun!

What a great bloke. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Who else would have a compensated EM gauge tailed (and lamped) black rodent on the back of a train ?

Yes, you must be referring to "Rastus", the red rat who allegedly lived under the platforms at King's Cross. He still exists somewhere in Roy's "shed".

Some shed, As someone once remarked, you could fit three of their bungalows in the same floor space!

Roy was certainly a prodigious modeller, and was always prepared to hep folk, and led by example when he said that you have to actually do something rather than just talk about it.

I will miss the camaraderie and friendship of many years.....life will not be quite the same without him. 

RIP Roy.

Pete

(Tony just beat me too it about Rastus!)

Edited by pete55
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Yes, you must be referring to "Rastus", the red rat who allegedly lived under the platforms at King's Cross. He still exists somewhere in Roy's "shed".

Some shed, As someone once remarked, you could fit three of their bungalows in the same floor space!

Roy was certainly a prodigious modeller, and was always prepared to hep folk, and led by example when he said that you have to actually do something rather than just talk about it.

I will miss the camaraderie and friendship of many years.....life will not be quite the same without him. 

RIP Roy.

Pete

(Tony just beat me too it about Rastus!)

Quite so Pete,

I'll miss him, too. We all will.

A red rat on his trainsets (Roy always called his layouts thus - he had not a jot of pomposity in him), a most-amusing email address, and the leaver of a model railway legacy second to none.

2138630408_RoyJackson.jpg.b88b60e187a30ac14602a2a79394a115.jpg

There'll never be another Roy Jackson!

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I can't really add much more to what has already been said other than to say it had been an honour to be welcomed into his 'modelling regime' and to listen to his forthright and expert views of his approach to life has been most entertaining. I'm sure he will be missed but very much remembered for his huge contribution into helping the serious modeller. I well remember Roy inviting my son Adam, then as a mere 11 year old, to operate a few trains around Retford on one of our initial visits..........................including a famous 'Roy bollocking' for not obeying the signals! 

My thoughts go to his family and all those I have met during my many visits to 'Retford'. Thank you Roy.

• Like 3

He was an inspiration to us all, and I certainly miss the pilgrimage with the BNNRS to see him and Retford before I moved to the south east upon retirement, as a fellow EM modeller he was keen to see something that you could bring to run after the sequence, ending with the Deltic and passenger train belting across the junctions way way above the supposed speed limit!!

I have a short video of my DJH  Garrett (single motor) pulling his long freight for a few circuits, he and the crew were surprised that it completed them as a few guest locomotives did not, yes Roy you will be missed, RIP.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get to see Retford last year.  

I'd not met Roy before but, pretty much as soon as I walked in to the layout room, he clocked me and came over to say hello.  Didn't get to chat to him too much as I was bit overawed by Retford but it was really appreciated that he'd welcomed me.

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to be invited to Retford because of this beast. Roy was a demonstrator at a show when he had this on his stand. I get the impression there had been some not too complimentary comments. Personally I thought it was stunning. We talked at length about K's kits, rigid frames and it is my train set and I will do what I like. He inspired me to produce things I wanted even if not historically correct.  We have a mutual friend and I was surprised to have an invite, as long as I went with our friend, a visit that was repeated many times. My last visit was rewarded with a Hornby original P2 in BR lined green., again stunning. What a maverick.

You will be missed

838450094_jacksonp2.jpg.4e3872e581252cb48bee9edcd53f63cc.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Manna I have to agree about High Dyke.I had mis-spent many a happy summer's day there with my Uncle who was a Guard based at Grantham but at the time (Late 50's) working at High Dyke He had a rifle that he could dismantle and put down the leg of his issue trousers and would poach./find Rabbits and other things like Pheasants. However at an Hotel in Paddington in the 70's I believe, I dared to question Roy on the appearance of a L1 Class locomotive on a Grantham to Peterborough stopper. He was less than polite to a young 20 something year old. However next time I met him he remembered me as "The Expert" on Grantham to Peterborough passenger services and we became friends for the rest of his life. I was impressed by his greeting as it contained only words I could repeat in mixed company without feeling embarrassed  . Such a lovely man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Roy Jackson - an unsurpassed loco-builder.....................

959985662_BlackLion28A.jpg.b044a20003cf0c0fa576c1e0e36f2352.jpg

285349134_Retford1502.jpg.3a8917993dcc337fe2cf4004465d0344.jpg

1181537137_Retford1504.jpg.916d0ca50d0768295e5052acd134811a.jpg

1465929440_Retford28101105.jpg.b4b44556b2c96330b16d725d1d93346f.jpg

Complemented perfectly by Geoff Kent's painting/lining/numbering/lettering/weathering. 

1262549351_RoyJacksonA1.jpg.68e68da5b261271b54958321f1c060cc.jpg

Sadly, this one, his last loco-build,  will have to be painted later.................

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The term unique is regularly bandied around, not always fully justified, but in Roy's case it most certainly was. He was definitely a one off and the hobby is much the poorer for his loss. As others have said,  as well as being a great modeller, he was also a great host which Kim and I were lucky enough to enjoy - always with a breakfast at the roadside cafe down the road! I shall miss his lively emails and lengthy phone calls about the 'journal' or what some ......**!! had said about something on RMWeb.

RIP Roy.

Here's Kim and the boy on a visit to the Gainsborough 7mm layout a few years ago during one of our trips up north.

IMG_2535.JPG.9e1c0fcd3aab5289fcc94cc79363b3f2.JPG

Jerry

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

How fitting that his last loco build was an A1, certainly in the context of Retford  

Having been lucky to have know him and come into contact via the EMGS, we have lost a guiding light in the hobby

Rest in peace Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

“If you done it, it ain't bragging.”

And Roy most certainly did it!

jacksonweb.jpg

Ah, the long (very long) roll of wallpaper that Roy turned up with at a Wakefield Exhibition more years ago than I can really remember.  "This is my next project " he said as he started to unroll it and continued to unroll it as we all sat there in stunned silence (and, at the time, relative amusement).  However, he proved us doubters wrong didn't he?  Building points by the dozen and hanging them on a nail ready for the time when he could start laying them.  What a bloke.  Life and, in particular, exhibitions will be a lot quieter without him and I'll miss the 'P4 banter' which was never (to me anyway) meant seriously.  My condolences to Roy's family and close friends, we've lost a leading light in the hobby who can never be replaced.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2