Spam while on RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Just had a few pages of a Russian website try to load up while I was browsing the Pugbash thread here, see accompanying screen shot of the pages leading up to the Russian stuff. Fortunately Norton closed them down promptly. Has RMweb been compromised somehow?

rmweb spam.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

I have had the same so I dont think that is your version of windows or your browser... perhaps the moderators can help us with this; I have tried deleting all temp. files etc and 'flushed'  the cach but it comes back..randomly possibly. Could be part of a networka attack?

• Agree 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Could be part of a networka attack?

There is no evidence of that, I have not been able to reproduce any of the issues raised so the likelihood is that it is something on local devices rather than the server. 

51 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

There is no evidence of that, I have not been able to reproduce any of the issues raised so the likelihood is that it is something on local devices rather than the server. 

Still likely something embedded in the advertising widget. 

Adblocker = no issue. 

No Adblocker = dodgy page redirect attempt blocked by Malwarebytes. (only happens about 1% of the time) 

Addendum: I notice that Adblocker is now only showing 2 ads on the main forum page, where last week it had 3. The "Adchoices" widget seems to have now vanished and only the 2 top and tail railway related adverts remain. 

Something overlaid by your hosting company perhaps?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

The "Adchoices" widget seems to have now vanished

Can I ask where you saw that displayed please?

24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Can I ask where you saw that displayed please?

I was getting the top advert and the bottom on the forum index page. I was also getting a third advert reported by Adblocker. When I viewed the page in Safari instead of Chrome, there was an "adchoices" box with an unrelated advert in the middle of the forum index listings. Wishing I'd screen shot captured it now. Just checked Safari again and it is no longer there. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For information I've only had the rogue pages open up the once. Since Sunday evening my visits here have been problem free. I use Firefox, Windows 8 (with classic shell to get it to behave in an XP like manner) and ad-block turned off for RMweb.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Spoke too soon, it's just happened again.

1402299618_rmwebspam2.jpg.59496cb9d11ef5412329a2efaa6e1860.jpg

So far it's only occurred on RMweb; earlier today I've been on BBC news, facebook, checked my e-mails, listened to music on yootoob, no problems but  part way through an RMweb session it starts up again.  A few weeks ago I had one of those 'your version of windows is corrupted' spam messages again whilst on the forum. It may be coincidence but I'm beginning to suspect some correlation here. Given the popularity of RMweb it wouldn't surprise me to find it was a target for Russian or other hackers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/06/2019 at 16:41, johndon said:

See here: 

I too have seen this 3 or 4 times over the last few weeks, and only ever on rmweb pages. I quickly close Firefox and do a reboot.

I've had this a number of times recently. By default, as I'm usually on RMWeb, that is the most common, but not the only times it pops up. Most annoying when wearing headphones! I normally open a number of tabs at the same time, and this becomes a new one, so I just close that tab. No virus or malware signs though, cookies etc cleared. I just kick it out and continue.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram