New book. Tinsley and the modernisation of Sheffields Railways

penyghent

This new publication is by Chris Booth and Alex Fisher and chronicles the construction of Tinsley Marshalling ayard, diesel depot and the modernisation of Sheffield's Railway. It will be on sale through Platform 5 publishing initially before going into the shops. It can be obtained by phoning the Platform5 orderline on 0114 255 8000

IMG_8970.JPG

• Informative/Useful 4

11 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Saw this on Facebook, and wondering will the dealers have this at the GC next week?

It will be distributed to outlets over the next week, can't really say if it will be on sale then, but it is for sale through platform 5 now

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I got a copy t the GCR event, it's a good read, lots of background information.

Would have liked a few more maps of the pre Tinsley set up (there are some and I could just look at an old map too).

But overall so far I feel it is money well spent, I've seen books as big covering all the UK marshalling yards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I got a copy t the GCR event, it's a good read, lots of background information.

Would have liked a few more maps of the pre Tinsley set up (there are some and I could just look at an old map too).

But overall so far I feel it is money well spent, I've seen books as big covering all the UK marshalling yards.

We tried to cover as much as possible of the pre Tinsley era but when it came to maps you really have to use them large or it's not worth bothering. That would have impacted on space for other images and we preferred to use a lot of unseen images instead. The books covering all the yards in one Volume can never have as much detail as we provided and so we are very pleased with the results and the great feedback we have had, thanks to everyone who has purchased it so far.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Graham1960 said:

Does the book cover any of the Nunnery area of Sheffield (to those that own a copy) or is it solely about Tinsley?

There is a pic of Nunnery Coal depot and there are pics and diagrams of the nearby depots at Bridgehouses, Wicker,Park Goods amongst others, it tells the story of Tinsley so includes most of the small yards closed as a result of its opening

• RMweb Gold

One of the best books I've ever read, got it when it first came out and basically couldn't put it down once I started reading it.

Very good and superb photographs,  from a personal perspective it reminded me of my early driving career working many trains from Tinsley and Treeton to Teesside. 

There are a  quite a few pictures of people I knew from that period.  Happy days.

Was in Olivia's about a month back and quite a few in stock there

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

I got this book for Christmas and it really is wonderful, worth every penny. It does however make me sad that when I visited Tinsley, all I was interested in was getting loco numbers, rather than spending time watching the place work ! However, that will be sorted when the Time Machine is perfected.........