LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

Hi John,

it is a W68 42ft Brake Third , built from a Brian Badger kit with Brassmasters bogie units. It may still b available in Paul Barkers Stevenson Carriages range. I'll try to take a better photo later in the week as I have other commitments that'll probably stop me from getting into the workshop for a couple of days.

Jol

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Not much progress on things lately. The late summer months were given over to setting the layout up for a test session in the village hall ahead of its appearance at Scaleforum 2019, followed by sorting out a few issues, adding some more details and giving the locos and stock a final service.

Since then we have had an offer on our house so I have been sorting out the workshop and stating to pack. I did make some progress on lining the carriages which are now packed away. However, the lure of the soldering iron has been too great so I have stared tinkering with a couple of LNWR tenders for the next two locos. These will be a Teutonic with a 2000g tender and a Precedent with a 1800g tender. I find building LNWR tenders  a bit of a chore (they are all pretty much the same) so like to do those first. Both tenders will have the rear axle fixed and the middle and front ones lightly sprung so the front of the tender can ride on the loco draw bar to add some adhesive weight. I have also been asked to design the underframe for a new LRM LNWR brake van, so that will keep me occupied at the pc.

The move of house will bring about a change of modelling direction, as I have retired from exhibiting London Road. The original terminus version of the layout is changing hands and will be going back to John Redrup of LRM, one of the original builders. The two new sections of the extended layout will (hopefully) form the basis of an oval layout. That will be some way in the future as, following a move I will have to get a suitable garden building erected for a layout room/workshop.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Jol Wilkinson changed the title to LNWR 4mm rolling stock for London Road - a new era?
  • 2 months later...

The planned house move hasn't yet happened, courtesy of a legal practise in London who are handling our buyers conveyancing and whose opinion of their own abilities aren't matched by reality. Having  packed up my modelling tools, etc. in the workshop on the false promise of a completion date that has been delayed again,  I have got out enough to do a bit more on the tender for the LNWR 2-4-0 Jumbo.  The "chassis" is now completed, bar sorting out the springing for the front two axles (the front of the tender will bear on the loco draw bar) and pickups on the rear axle. The body is now complete, bar for the cast tool boxes which I will fit after spraying the tender.

I'll finish the 2000 gallon chassis next and then start on the tender body. There isn't much clearance for P4 wheels, especially behind the tender front steps. Ultrascale wheels give a bit more clearance than AG, while Exactoscale wheels are best but currently are not available. Therefore I find it it best to build the chassis and the make sure their is sufficient clearance when I assemble the body.

1800g top LH.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Jol

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your move, though not that surprised. We were in a similar situation 4 years ago house went on the market in early Feb moved end of March, very stressful for various reasons throughout those few weeks but well worth it, wish you well with the move

We got new neighbours two weekends ago, our previous neighbour found selling hard due to the house condition and the neighbours on the other side, the new neighbours were so patient as our old one failed to vacate the property on time (he is the laid back type) and they never started unloading till 7pm (no doubt both parties just ignored legal advice , especially as it was a Friday)

Thanks John,

the problem we are having is that our buyers having no previous experience of buying  house have been slow to do things. Add to that they are using a solicitor's practise based in London (at the suggestion of a family member) who seem  incompetent. They have a very prominent website - but seem all front and no substance! This is my/our seventh house move and we have never experienced such delays in the conveyancing process. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My wife's niece works for one of the most prestigious companies in the legal business and says that conveyancing, which is where most people interact with solicitors, is the most badly managed aspect of legal practise.

Jol

• Friendly/supportive 2

I used to be in part of the house buying process, whilst agreeing with you on small practices. The fastest mortgage I ever arranged was 7 days from application to completion (not offer) Courrier bikes were going in every direction. This was back in the 80's and every one involved pulled their finger out, then mortgages were offered in house and the manager just made sure it was done. I think the property was going to be reposed so the seller sold well below the market rate and the buyer was of the type who saw this was a challenge he could manage. 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The fastest mortgage I ever arranged was 7 days from application to completion

I can beat that. Viewed an old shool Wednesday dinnertime, owned it by Friday PM.....anything is possible. (except me doing LNWR lining :D) Hope the move goes well Jol.

Back on topic, what is the material the tender body is made of,  in the pic above it looks like copper ? or is that just a result of the cleaning process.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I can beat that. Viewed an old shool Wednesday dinnertime, owned it by Friday PM.....anything is possible. (except me doing LNWR lining :D) Hope the move goes well Jol.

Back on topic, what is the material the tender body is made of,  in the pic above it looks like copper ? or is that just a result of the cleaning process.

Unfair comparison as its a business purchase !! This was a fully fledged residential mortgage with no pre-application and through the good old Woolwich if I can remember correctly

Talking about the good old Woolwich my wife got her £200 free shares from them (Woolwich) and we put them into one of the old singly company ISA's, when the law was changed by shear luck we switched them into the same ISA provider's managed fund, thankfully well before the shares became nearly worthless in the banking crisis, the latest valuation just under £3k  

58 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Hi Dave,

it's .012" brass, a LRM (ex George Norton) LNWR 1800 gallon Webb tender. The colour is more likely down to the camera and lighting. I gave it a general clean/polish with a glass fibre brush (it had been lying part finished in the box for some weeks), then with Ciff and and old toothbrush, rinsed under hot water and dried in the airing cupboard.

Sometimes I give them a final spray with Viakal and rinse off quickly. That is slightly acidic and does the same job as Carrs Acidip (which is - or was - a dilute version phosphoric acid with a wetting agent and colourant).  I think that Shiny Sinks, which I can no longer find locally, was popular for final cleaning as it contained citric acid and gave a good surface finish.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jol.

I use a mix of Cif or shiny sinks (an old container) on an old toothbrush. I only read a letter from Gordon Gravett in the latest MRJ this morning where he said his favourite tool was a toothbrush, I'd concur with that as I have several cut to different shapes to get in awkward places. 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Thanks Jol.

I use a mix of Cif or shiny sinks (an old container) on an old toothbrush. I only read a letter from Gordon Gravett in the latest MRJ this morning where he said his favourite tool was a toothbrush, I'd concur with that as I have several cut to different shapes to get in awkward places. 

Poundland may possibly still sell "Sink Brite" which appears to be similar to shiny sinks.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/02/2020 at 10:52, Jol Wilkinson said:

I think that Shiny Sinks, which I can no longer find locally, was popular for final cleaning as it contained citric acid and gave a good surface finish.

Still readily available from Amazon.

I bought a multi-pack, so could probably do you a deal if you want!!

Mark

Mark,

thanks, but for reasons I won't go into, I don't buy anything through Amazon. However I have found that Robert Dyas still stock it (less expensive than Amazon) and will also check out a two very good independent hardware shops locally.

Jol

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The change of topic title reflects that the workshop contents, part finished kits and the running models have been packed away, pending  a move of house on 5th March. There will then be a short wait until the "garden room" is built (planned for end March) and I can then set about building the new layout based around the "extension" to London Road, as shown in the photos.1659197025_LRfromNFY.jpg.3829c8d784cfb6d87f07d770b7a8292a.jpg2142023342_NorthBridge.jpg.5f097d4d8256cd3f3e026a086860b4e8.jpg

Photo courtesy Barry Norman/MRJ

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

25 minutes ago, D-A-T said:

Jol, will the “new” layout appear on the exhibition circuit?

No, I've retired from exhibiting although I may occasionally get the opportunity operate the original London Road terminus layout when John Redrup can find time to fit it into his LRM exhibition schedule. Whilst I enjoyed meeting people at show (well, most of them), it was hard work as it was effectively a solo effort building, maintaining, transporting and organising everything. I have a great group of friends who came to operate but they mainly were from far and wide (Ealing, Barlaston, Warwick, Bedford and other far flung places) so only a couple could help with loading and driving the hired van.

1667601050_Themotleycrew.jpg.6a930d4261a84742da1272afecf264e0.jpg

This was taken at London Road's last outing at Scaleforum 2019. Present are Tony Montgomery (Ambergate) and his wife Denise, John Sherratt who now owns Don Rowland's Alpraham Sidings, Tony Sheffield (Brassmasters), John Redrup (London Road Models), Paul Cram, Colin McCallum and Hywel Rees. Missing are Keith Turbutt, Andy Walker and Richard Mclachan.

I hope that the new layout won't take too long to get up and running and I will be happy to receive visitors (although some may find the East Suffolk coast too far for a day out). It will be a simple oval based on the baseboards pictured earlier with an added engine shed facility beyond the bridge. If anyone fancies building a two road LNWR North light engine shed or a coaling plant, they would be most welcome.

Jol

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

An LNWR Society at home perhaps once the new layout is built?

I hope the move goes well and smoothly.

I am intrigued as to how the new layout will look with you using the two extension boards. Will it be a roundy or end to end? Is a new station planned?

Best

David

1 hour ago, LNWR lives on said:

An LNWR Society at home perhaps once the new layout is built?

I hope the move goes well and smoothly.

I am intrigued as to how the new layout will look with you using the two extension boards. Will it be a roundy or end to end? Is a new station planned?

Best

David

David,  see above, but to expand a little.

The platforms on the extension end just beyond the covered footbridge. The  joint can be seen on this photo (again courtesy Batty Norman/MRJ), most obviously by the lamp on the far platform. The running lines will start to curve here, towards the camera, so the new platform ends and ramps will be on a curve. The existing board with the platforms, footbridge and buildings is 5ft long. The other with the road bridge, etc. is 6ft by 2ft.

140720624_FBplatformends.jpg.6178c57da1861bc0ae84973278cc2771.jpg

At the opposite end, beyond the road over-bridge in the second photo posted yesterday, the running lines will curve to the right. The two lines on the left will lead to the steam shed, etc, on the outside of the running lines. The plan will be for an oval with a fiddle yard on the opposite side to the station. There isn't a goods facility in the plan  although that is subject to change.

The objective is to use what I have to create a "running" layout without too much additional cost/work - although there will still be a fair bit of that. 

Jol

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1