Accurate GWR Siphon H

Simon60

Thanks

a) what bogies would be a good swap out

b) how does Mainline stack up on accuracy 

sorry, just managed to open your first link which helps on bogies 

comments on Mainline still be good though 

• RMweb Gold

I used Stafford Road Works/Shapeways 3D print 9' American bogies on mine; not cheap but very good and a straight plug in swap.  They run very well with Bachmann wheels and have NEM pockets.

6 hours ago, Simon60 said:

b) how does Mainline stack up on accuracy 

The body moulding is very good and is the same as the original Airfix (and now Hornby). The accuracy of the underframe depends on how far back into GW times you want to go, and if that obsesses you, you will need the books.

• RMweb Gold

Little wrong with the body moulding in terms of scale and detail, but a modern version would probably have more in the way of seperate handrails and proper lamp irons.  The underframe is very crude by modern standards and, as has been said, has incorrect bogies.  The model benefits from new bogies and better buffers for a quick and easy upgrade, with which it presents a reasonable representation of these very characterful vehicles; the underframe needs more serious work to bring it up to scratch.  

By and large the same comments apply to the ex Lima Siphon G.

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Little wrong with the body moulding in terms of scale and detail, but a modern version would probably have more in the way of seperate handrails and proper lamp irons.  The underframe is very crude by modern standards and, as has been said, has incorrect bogies.  The model benefits from new bogies and better buffers for a quick and easy upgrade, with which it presents a reasonable representation of these very characterful vehicles; the underframe needs more serious work to bring it up to scratch.  

By and large the same comments apply to the ex Lima Siphon G.

Indeed - the chassis of both are too wide and benefit from a hacksaw attack !

• 2 months later...

Thank you Miss Prism,

Nice bit of detail - it'll help me as I have become, of late, aware of the lack of detail at solebar level on a lot of models - very useful.

Cheers,

Philip

8 minutes ago, EHertsGER said:

‘Good grief!’ twice over - once in astonishment that such a work is available and secondly that is the work of Jim Whittaker, whose work used to intimidate me as a young modeller. Thank you!

Was this the gentleman who built GWR stock out of cardboard (not that you'd know) ? If it was, then an article in Railway Modeller 40+ years ago inspired me to try building a Siphon G in plasticard. Those louvres were fun...

On 07/09/2019 at 06:50, Fat Controller said:

Was this the gentleman who built GWR stock out of cardboard (not that you'd know) ? If it was, then an article in Railway Modeller 40+ years ago inspired me to try building a Siphon G in plasticard. Those louvres were fun...

I cannot recall if Jim's material was card or plasticard (not to be confused with Teddy Francis, who did use plasticard extensively). Similarly, 40 years ago seems too recent, if you can imagine such a thing. My memory takes me to the late 60s/early 70s (and so may rightly be considered inaccurate) and the MRC. The feature that distinguished Jim from Teddy was the minute detail that I imagined to be impossible - but there it was! This is not to denigrate Teddy's beautiful work, but Jim's seemed 'beyond reach' whereas Teddy seemed to give us a fighting chance of reproducing it. I do recall the mention of such mysterious substances as Cerrobend (I still use it, though after 40+ years I have actually got to my third 1/4lb block, it lasts that long!) and Shellac, so, in the latter case, there may have been card involved somewhere (roofs?). Alas, a quick ferret through my magazines (a lot!) failed to turn up any of his articles. A pity, I was hoping to find some and read once again - they are very good!

Edited by EHertsGER

11 minutes ago, EHertsGER said:

I cannot recall if Jim's material was card or plasticard (not to be confused with Teddy Francis, who did use plasticard extensively). Similarly, 40 years ago seems too recent, if you can imagine such a thing. My memory takes me to the late 60s/early 70s (and so may rightly be considered inaccurate) and the MRC. The feature that distinguished Jim from Teddy was the minute detail that I imagined to be impossible - but there it was! This is not to denigrate Teddy's beautiful work, but Jim's seemed 'beyond reach' whereas Teddy seemed to give us a fighting chance of reproducing it. I do recall the mention of such mysterious substances as Cerrobend (I still use it, though after 40+ years I have actually got to my third 1/4lb block, it lasts that long!) and Shellac, so, in the latter case, there may have been card involved somewhere (roofs?). Alas, a quick ferret through my magazines (a lot!) failed to turn up any of his articles. A pity, I was hoping to find some and read once again - they are very good!

It probably was the late 60s/ early 1970s; if so. then the relevant copy of Modeller was probably thrown out after I'd left for college.

On 07/09/2019 at 03:56, EHertsGER said:

On the subject of underframes, is there any source reference covering the ‘arrangements’ down there; battery boxes, vacuum cylinders, reservoirs, pipework.a

Definitive source must be https://hmrs.org.uk/great-western-railway-siphons-an-account-of-vehicles-built-for-milk-traffic-on-the-gwr-150215.html

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Probably time for a new edition then ! 

I think a revised edition was first mooted ages ago, but have still not released it.  A real shame as its a book I really need to add to my library (but I don't want to pay OTT for the original version if there will be an updated edition!)

• Agree 1