Decoder for Bachmann 56xx?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hi hi all.

I need to put a decoder in my 56xx, and it came with an 8 pin plug. However, there is not much room at all between the motor housing/plug and the inside of the boiler; A Zen nano ZN8D Direct wouldnt fit. Does anyone know if the wired Zen nano will, or what other decoder types may fit? I'd rather avoid Bachmann's decoders, as I have had pretty mixed luck with DCC equipped N scale US type diesels from them, though will use them if I must.

Thanks much folks,

Amanda

Either the Lenz Standard or Zimo MX600 in wired 8 pin format, whichever you can obtain for the least money. Both will produce lovely performance. There's a good space available, just lift off the plastic cover with the small ballast weight screwed on it, that sits over the worm end of the motor. The loco is plenty heavy enough for traction without this small weight.

(While fiddling with the loco mechanism, you might want to remove the keeper plate and check that the spring action of the centre axle is free moving. Filing shallow recesses on the keeper plate sides under this axle (0,5mm is sufficient) to allow a little more downward travel is worthwhile.

The rear unpowered axle is in a poorly thought out pivotting sprung mounting, and can go 'wrong way' on points. If that proves a problem on your layout, cement two small pieces of plastic to the keeper plate sides to block the pivotting action.)

• Informative/Useful 1