How were the GWR 16xx tank engines used in the Thames Valley?

Tallpaul69

Hi All,

I am thinking of buying one of the GWR 16xx tank engines announced by Model Rail in 00 gauge for my 1960-62 layout.

Before deciding, I would like to know how the examples at Slough and Oxford sheds were used.

Did they share diagrams with the more numerous 57xx tanks or did they have specific tasks?

I would have thought that their power classification of 2F as against the 57xx rating of 3F would mean they could not do all the jobs the 57xx could?

I am mainly interested in their use west from Slough and on the branches such as  Maidenhead to High Wycombe and Oxford to Princes Risborough.

Any relevant information will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul

• RMweb Gold

The purpose of the 16xx class was to be a modern replacement for the 2021 class, a number of which had survived into BR days owing to their very low axle weight, and hence high route availability.  Thus they were allocated to sheds where they were needed to work weight restricted branches or sidings that the 57xx and similar locos were too heavy for; a famous example is the ‘vinegar branch’ in Worcester.  Slough and Oxford clearly had work of this sort, hence the 16xx allocations. 

This is does not of course mean that a 16xx would never have deputised for a bigger loco if circumstances arose that necessitated it.  The short answer to your question is ‘both’, but a longer answer is that one would expect a 16xx to have a regular duty or duties that a 57xx was too heavy for and for it to appear mostly on that/those duties.  

For 1960-2, you would have every excuse to include an 03 or 04 diesel to share the work with your 16xx if they were allocated to those sheds. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For perspective, 16xx locos were allocated to Thames Valley sheds only in ones or twos. The larger panniers continued to predominate, and by 1950, ordinary 57xx had gained yellow status, so there were no longer any weight-restricted lines (Brentford, Watlington) where only lighter engines could go. I get the impression the 16xx spent their (distinctly unspectacular) days on shunting duties, pottering around and between local yards in close vicinity to their sheds.

By 1960, panniers of all kinds were starting to line up idle in their sheds. The O8s were either taking over or had taken over the yards.

• Like 1

There are a few photos of them on passenger trains in the Pannier Papers book. Particularly the Scottish pair, and on the BPGV and in the Forest Of Dean.

They seem to be rare in the London area though

1605 Southall 1/50 - 10/53

1617 Oxford 12/49 - 5/53

1622 Slough 5/62 - 6/64

1627 Oxford 8/62 - 6/64

1630 Oxford 7/62 - 6/64

1636 Slough 6/62 - 6/64

1654 Southall 7/62 - 1/63 Slough -6/64

1669 Southall 2/60 - 2/61

It says on the caption of 1605 at Southall "It had gone there new to replace old turn of the century pannier tanks on shunting the local factories".

On the caption of 1654 it says "One of the 16XXs that ended up at Slough, to spend most of it's time languishing in the shed yard, apparently".

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Slough engines, or at least one of them, used to finish up on the Lent Rise shunt when there was too much work for the trip engine and doing various odd jobs around Slough yards.  You'll find my photo of it standing on the UP Main at Slough Middle somewhere or other on RMweb.

I presume that 1605 went to Southall mainly to replace 850 class saddle tank 1925 (although it wasn't officially withdrawn until 1951) which according to what various local enginemen told me many years back had been retained in order to shunt various tightly curved sidings in the Greenford/Park Royal area. 

PS.  I would think the 1960s allocations were mainly for engines to see out their mileage as other engines were withdrawn.  In a similar way to various small prairies being sent to Southall towards the end of their working lives.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Slough engines, or at least one of them, used to finish up on the Lent Rise shunt when there was too much work for the trip engine and doing various odd jobs around Slough yards.  You'll find my photo of it standing on the UP Main at Slough Middle somewhere or other on RMweb.

I presume that 1605 went to Southall mainly to replace 850 class saddle tank 1925 (although it wasn't officially withdrawn until 1951) which according to what various local enginemen told me many years back had been retained in order to shunt various tightly curved sidings in the Greenford/Park Royal area. 

PS.  I would think the 1960s allocations were mainly for engines to see out their mileage as other engines were withdrawn.  In a similar way to various small prairies being sent to Southall towards the end of their working lives.

Many thanks Mike, and all other contributors,

I think the consensus of information available suggests that the Slough allocation of 16xxs were unlikely to have reached my main area of interest, namely Maidenhead and the High Wycombe branch except perhaps as non WTT trip run from Taplow.

I have also concluded that the two allocated to Slough being offered by Model Rail in pristine finish are not realistic!

So  I will not be putting my hand in my pocket for these.

Might think again about the Oxford engine 1627, and getting it renumbered, when I see how the weathering looks. 

Enjoy your modelling,

Best regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium

There is a photo on the rear cover of ‘The Abingdon Branch’ (Trippet & De Courtais, Wild Swan Publications) with the caption:

An unidentified ‘16xx’ 0-6-0PT passing the Abingdon fixed distant signal during the early 1950s.

It shows a Pannier with a solitary coach.

The 16xx doesn’t actually get mentioned in the book at all apart from this solitary photo on the rear cover.

Edited by Banger Blue

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Didcot I believe had three, one (1637) I believe had the 'Busby' Spark arrestor for working in Milton military depot (dont quote me on that though). I will be ordering one and re creating 1637.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...