Anyone have experiences with Frogmore 2mm etches?

danmk1

Was hoping someone could advise if they have ever built a coach kit from Frogmore. I believe they are shrunk down versions of their 4mm etches. 

I was wondering if they loose to much detail over an etch that was designed for 2mm?

I need a break from doing my point rodding as those single stools could lead a person to drink (a lot) and I have found some for sale that could suit for the Longmoor rolling stock. 

Thanks in advance

Dan

Edited by danmk1
Spelling

I have no experience of these particular etches, but I have built several coaches and locos from etches which were produced from artwork designed  (pre- CAD and so hand-drawn to 10mm scale) originally for 7MM.  They had already been successfully reduced to 4mm scale.  It is important that the thickness of metal used is reduced proportionately to the reduction in scale.  For example the ones I have were etched in 15thou brass for 4mm scale and 8thou for 2MM.  Apart from some items being too small and fiddly (droplight leathers and ash trays for example!), they worked very well,  with all the detail of the original there.

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 11/06/2019 at 20:44, Caley Jim said:

I have no experience of these particular etches, but I have built several coaches and locos from etches which were produced from artwork designed  (pre- CAD and so hand-drawn to 10mm scale) originally for 7MM.  They had already been successfully reduced to 4mm scale.  It is important that the thickness of metal used is reduced proportionately to the reduction in scale.  For example the ones I have were etched in 15thou brass for 4mm scale and 8thou for 2MM.  Apart from some items being too small and fiddly (droplight leathers and ash trays for example!), they worked very well,  with all the detail of the original there.

Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim.

As I've still been unable to find an finished examples of these particular models I will pass on these etches and wait for Chris at Masterclass to receive his carcasses for his GWR toplights which I have read and been informed are very good etches by many sources.

Back to the point rodding it is then.

Dan