Wagon Suggestion: TDA 100 Tonne Bogie Tank Wagon.

Hello everyone.

I am proposing a new product suggestion to Accurascale for future consideration that is the TDA 100 tonne tank wagon. The TDA-D wagons were built from 1991 to 1993 and are still in use today as debranded, rusted metal and in Murco liveries alike. I have included some links to photos for reference that may be helpful. 

Murco TDA Bogie Tank Wagon, Doncaster 2 November 2012

86914 Kettering 060418

26/07/2001 - Barnetby.

I believe the TDA wagons also wore Total and Fina liveries as well but sadly I cannot find any photos of them to reference to but as suggesting a TEA tanker would be considered unfair to Revolution Trains hence that they only released their model recently. I went with the TDA wagon for two reasons. The first one is that they are different to the TEA hence being an older design with the "ribs" on the sides and the second reason I am proposing this is because it will add a new and a popular wagon to the range of freight wagons for present day traction and I think a rake of TDA's would look great behind a Class 92 from Accurascale or a Class 60 from Hornby. Apart from the dated LIma model which doesn't have the "ribs" replicated on the sides. There is no other TDA model wagon available. 

Any feedback on this idea would be welcomed :).

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Although I would get a few due to their use on the Grangemouth to Sinfin (Rolls-Royce Derby) flow, I think the bogie tanker market is already very full currently. The Bachmann TEA is still sought after (try and find a reasonably priced one!), the Revolution TEA was superb and a sell out and with the CavAlex TEA on the horizon, I doubt there is much room for another. That said, if the market is big enough, why not?

Jack.

They might only be a couple of tops codes used, TDA and TEA but they cover multiple different batches and makes of tanks. I for one am happy we are getting more different designs. Modelling 1990s tank trains at Barnetby are coming along nicely.

Can we have both of the above please

• RMweb Gold

I’d love to see a TDA produced as two or three are regularly seen on the Ipswich to Lindsey Freightliner fuel train.  Nice model able oil train for a medium sized layout.

Thanks for the feedback folks and I think its safe to say that the TEA wagon type is well catered for and that is the reason why I vouched for the less known TDA including the TDA-D wagons because the original Murco Red/White/Blue wagons were the TDA type although the newer red Murcos are the TEA. If the TDA gets produced, then it will allow for modellers and the purists to make quite a decent prototypical oil train of a combination of the TEA's from Cavalex Models/Revolution Trains combined with this TDA wagon proposal. That would fill another gap and add some serious realism to those that want prototypical oil trains to show off at exhibitions etc. I would be happy with a string of 15 of these TDA's behind a Hornby 60 in Murco livery and a string of 15 rusty ones to replicate the Aviation Fuel train on the Lindsey-Colnbrook/Heathrow diagram that is now worked by Class 70's with Colas.

I'm no expert on tank wagons, but I agree with Royaloak that the three reference photographs in the original post seem to represent three different wagons that have nothing in common with one another bar their TOPS code.  I also agree with Jack374 that I'm not sure there is a big enough market to model all variations of large bogie tank wagons of which there are numerous detail differences within each TOPS code.  Whilst it is nice to be able to represent variation in a rake, with models from Bachmann, RevolutioN and a forthcoming offering from Cavalex, which all represent different prototypes, I suspect that there isn't a substantial enough market to justify the tooling costs for another new model.  I have some of both the Bachmann and RevolutioN models and I am contemplating getting a triple pack of the Cavalex TEAs but I think it would be fair to say that would probably be enough for me and having bought a rake from RevolutioN, I'm unlikely to buy any more than the odd wagon from anyone else to provide a bit of variety.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately this wagon is not in our plans at present. Sorry!

Cheers,

Fran

Yet lol

4 hours ago, royaloak said:

Looking at the pictures there seem to be 3 different styles of barrel so which TDA would you like?

I am flexible with any of them but I would prefer one with the "ribs" on it ;).

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately this wagon is not in our plans at present. Sorry!

Cheers,

Fran

Hi Fran. I realise that you and the team at Accurascale have a lot on your plate right now with the Class 92, CAF Mk5's and other wagons. But if you would consider adding this wagon to a list of future rolling stock suggestions, perhaps it might become viable in the future if modeller demands require a model. Personally if your team was to make this wagon model. I would prefer one with the bands/ribs around the barrel of the tank wagon as that would make a perfect model in the Murco and the Rusted Brown liveries in my opinion. 

But thanks for the response to my suggestion :).

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Anybody know what the measurements of this wagon are or how much shorter is it compared to the Hornby /Bachy TEA? The Lima Tanker has been mentioned as 'similar meaning; the longer tanker they produced or the short European type one they did.. Im just researching how one could produce one of these by either scratchbuilding or adapting an existing older tanker .. Happy for any suggestions