Rapido UK Newsletter

Frond

I have just checked and we have not had a UK Newsletter since September 2018 - that's nearly 9 months.

In that same time there have been 8 Canada/USA ones .

Come on Jason there must be something that you can talk to us about!!

• RMweb Premium

Yes was thinking it had all gone quiet on Rapido front . I know they are doing stuff for Model Rail and into buses , but there doesn't seem to have been much to whet the appetite recently, compared to the hype there used to be . Not even an announcement of an announcement .

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

There was indeed some speculation prior to Warley last year, some getting themselves all overexcited about a loco, some of us through a reading of the show guide sussed it was:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139691-rapido-announce-metro-cammell-weymann-fleetline-bus/

but, quite understandably had our gun-jumping deleted from here before the announcement.

The current UK product delivery schedule can be seen here:

http://www.rapidouk.com/uk-delivery-schedule/

There have been a number of Canada/US newsletters recently and I'm sure with all their non-stop global rushing about they'll get around to a UK newsletter when there's sufficient exciting news to get our wallets/CCs a-tremble...

Regards, Gerry.

Came up on Facebook in a reply about a month ago, Rapido said that they haven't forgotten the UK but don't have anything to say at the moment.

Their next announcement is of Canadian stuff, to be done on the 24th via Facebook.

• Informative/Useful 1

The impression I’ve got from the silence (no idea whether it’s true) is that they’ve decided the U.K. model railway market isn’t right for them. Their residual focus seems to be on Midlands busses. Which would be a pity for us, I think, but may be an indication of how ferocious competition is?

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fenman said:

The impression I’ve got from the silence (no idea whether it’s true) is that they’ve decided the U.K. model railway market isn’t right for them. Their residual focus seems to be on Midlands busses. Which would be a pity for us, I think, but may be an indication of how ferocious competition is?

Paul

Well they have just finished the Stirling single,  J70 for Model Rail, the 16xx and LBSCR E1 have been announced for Model Rail, given their main market is Canada and the southern neighbour, and the sheer volume of product appearing for those markets, I think they are doing very well to provide us with what they do!

Their UK models certainly are very good for a 'tentative toe in the water'! Perhaps a little early to write them off methinks, I am happy that they appear to be pacing themselves with a programme of models they feel they can deliver, rather than building up hopes with a long list of 'gunnados' with no time frame for delivery.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Well they have just finished the Stirling single,  J70 for Model Rail, the 16xx and LBSCR E1 have been announced for Model Rail, given their main market is Canada and the southern neighbour, and the sheer volume of product appearing for those markets, I think they are doing very well to provide us with what they do!

Their UK models certainly are very good for a 'tentative toe in the water'! Perhaps a little early to write them off methinks, I am happy that they appear to be pacing themselves with a programme of models they feel they can deliver, rather than building up hopes with a long list of 'gunnados' with no time frame for delivery.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I agree with everything you've written. But the contrast between Jason's very frequent enthusiastic publicising then - and the silence now - is rather startling.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fenman said:

The impression I’ve got from the silence (no idea whether it’s true) is that they’ve decided the U.K. model railway market isn’t right for them.

Rapido have experienced some growing pains, as explained in some of their latest North American newsletters and in particular the recent hiring of 2 more staff and a significant promotion from within.

In addition to the other mentioned UK items, they continue to make product for Realtrack and they have the Class 92 for Revolution about to go into production, the KFA flat in production, and I think they are doing the Kernow/Revolution IZA Twin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Rapido have experienced some growing pains, as explained in some of their latest North American newsletters and in particular the recent hiring of 2 more staff and a significant promotion from within.

In addition to the other mentioned UK items, they continue to make product for Realtrack and they have the Class 92 for Revolution about to go into production, the KFA flat in production, and I think they are doing the Kernow/Revolution IZA Twin.

Exactly, Rapido have quite a few projects on the go for the UK market including the GWR 1600 for which the order book has just opened and yet they apparently have nothing to say! 

In their last newsletter they commented that they had failed to meet their aspiration to produce a monthly newsletter - at this rate we will be lucky to get an annual one.

2 hours ago, Frond said:

Exactly, Rapido have quite a few projects on the go for the UK market including the GWR 1600 for which the order book has just opened and yet they apparently have nothing to say!

An important point though is that most of the items, like the 1600, are being made for third parties and it is up to those third parties whether they want Rapido to comment publicly on them, or if they want to handle any commentary themselves.

So in the case of the 1600 it may well be that Model Rail wants to be the only source of information on the model.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, mdvle said:

An important point though is that most of the items, like the 1600, are being made for third parties and it is up to those third parties whether they want Rapido to comment publicly on them, or if they want to handle any commentary themselves.

So in the case of the 1600 it may well be that Model Rail wants to be the only source of information on the model.

Very true I had wondered if that may well be the case. 

If it is then I feel that it is a shame as previous projects for third parties such as the J70 (also for Model Rail)  the Stirling Single, the dynamometer car etc have all been discussed in their newsletters. If they are going to only comment on Rapido led projects then the newsletters are going to be few and far between for the foreseeable future, which is a pity as I for one enjoy their style and honesty.

We're not dead yet! 

To be honest, the lack of a newsletter is due to... well.. lack of news. That and a very hectic schedule here.

We're proceeding with several project already announced, but both we and our partners have decided that it would be best to hold off on any new announcements until we all see what impact current going-on in the Brexit situation will have. However, we do plan to continue, so you haven;t heard the last of us. (Sorry...) :>)

Bill

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Its quite common for companies to go international and find whilst the language is the same, the culture, landscape and the ultimate reason behind any business venture.. the profit margins can differ.

Ive given up counting how many times ive been asked why Lipton, the biggest tea company in the US have been incapable of selling tea to the British, or why we don't eat Hersheys. Its a two way street, Tescos are equally incapable of selling fresh food in California.

Glad to see they havent given up on us, but dont mention the B-word.. to some its the end of the world, to others it apparently holds no impact.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

......    Ive given up counting how many times ive been asked why Lipton, the biggest tea company in the US have been incapable of selling tea to the British, ........

Because Lipton's Yellow Label tea is the most revolting concoction ever to have the false term "tea" attached.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 20:28, adb968008 said:

Ive given up counting how many times ive been asked why Lipton, the biggest tea company in the US have been incapable of selling tea to the British, or why we don't eat Hersheys.

On 20/06/2019 at 08:56, phil gollin said:

Because Lipton's Yellow Label tea is the most revolting concoction ever to have the false term "tea" attached.

And Hershey's is a similarly revolting abomination in the world of earwax-masquerading-as-chocolate.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, truffy said:

And Hershey's is a similarly revolting abomination in the world of earwax-masquerading-as-chocolate.

I think Cadburys holds an equal opinion in the US.

Though you can buy mini-eggs year round over there.. in huge bags.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I think Cadburys holds an equal opinion in the US.

Though you can buy mini-eggs year round over there.. in huge bags.

I was most excited, during a three-month stay stateside, to find Cadbury's creme eggs. Yum!

I was distinctly less excited when, after getting them back to my apartment and biting into one, to read on the back of the packet "made under licence by Hershey" :bo_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It may have escaped your notice but Cadbury's has been American owned for years.

Now owned by Kraft who make that awful artificial cheese. :bad:

Jason

And have reduced the Cadbury brand to a sort of ersatz 'chocolate' which an insult to the term chocolate (which it definitely doesn't taste like) and have succeeded in having the brand ignored by most better infornmed or more particular customers in Britain.  Which no doubt explains why supermarkets always have it on special offer.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It may have escaped your notice but Cadbury's has been American owned for years.

No, it had not escaped my notice. But that was after my stateside incarceration.

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now owned by Kraft who make that awful artificial cheese. :bad:

Haven't bought any of theirs since it happened! US comic Rich Hall wasn't impressed either, I recall.

The Nim.