BR Tope Drawing Sought

Thank you Jon, I knew they were rebuilds but not the original wagon source.

Following on from that, can anyone point me at a drawing for the BR 21T hopper or scan the instructions from the Parkside  PS104 kit which would give me some idea of the chassis layout.

Thanks again.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

If you go here -

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=24&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj82-3XxubiAhV9QxUIHQnXDLQ4FBAWMAN6BAgAEAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwebsite.rumneymodels.co.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F06%2FB.28_21T_Hopper_Wagon_Chassis_Instructions.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0T8TkSfbufep2izfd-avcg

Then you get a good guide to help you with the chassis.

Before the kit or RTR model came on the market I used the Airfix/GMR 21t hopper as a basis for my Tope models.

For the conversion I cut off the top reinforcing edge and kept it to reuse.

I then took 3mm off the height of the hopper itself.

Then stick the top reinforcing edge back onto the hopper.

Spill plates were made from 30th plasticard.

Thanks

Phil H

Phil

That’s absolutely brilliant!! I can now press ahead with the chassis and running gear separately from the body, paint them and then mate the two together.

One final question, what is the height of the top of the bunker above the top edge of the sole-bar. Are you able to measure? I work in 7mm but can easily convert a 4mm dimension.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Edited by boeing7572t6
Speeeling

I haven’t any luck finding the instructions. What I can remember you had to glue a plastic strip along the top of the solebars to form the channel, then the body will sit on top of the running chassis. 

The couple of pics are the rebodied 21t coal hopper which are the basis for the tope. They sit on Parkside chassis. The GJH kit I built used earlier style chassis solebars. Shame the body supplied in the kit didn’t have the bottom chutes as most Topes still had them.  Not sure in the kit there was plastic rod for the vac pipe that ran one side

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brhoppertope - for photos

Rebodied 21t coal hopper

Rebodied 21t coal hopper from my own master body and Parkside chassis

Michael

Mike

I’m most grateful for your efforts. I think I’m now getting a feel for what is required. I am now sure most of the chassis is missing, but with Phil’s help I am confident I can scratch build the chassis.

This wagon is not from my normal modelling period but I am 2000 miles away from my layout so this is an interesting diversion. If I get it finished I will post a pic.

My thanks to you and Phil.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi both,

You should have pm from me.

Hope this all helps!

I'm about to start doing some in N/2mm - a lot more fiddly!

Mike you are correct - no bit of plastic rod to make the brake pipe from in either the 7mm or 4mm Parkside kits.

Thanks

Phil H

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

hi Jon,

Yes - I remembered this after listening to you.

I went home and altered all of the Parkside 4mm kits I had built and my Tope conversions.

Thanks fot the reminder though!

I must check when I do the 2mm/N ones that the brake linkages are set correctly.

Only just ordered the Dapol hoppers - so could be a bit of a wait and see situation.

Phil H

• 2 years later...