Help identifying loco kit???

• RMweb Gold

It looks like one of the old K's Bodyline kits for an MR 3F 0-6-0T with the round topped boiler.

It was designed to fit on the Hornby Dublo ex SECR R1 0-6-0T chassis, which has the wrong wheel spacing.

David

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Traintresta said:

Does anybody know what locomotive this is? ...

Leaving the factual replies behind, I might propose 'whatever medium size round top boiler side tank 0-6-0T you might want it to be'...

There's plenty of metal to carve into, and with a different smokebox door, boiler fittings, buffers and other characteristic parts it formed a good basis for production of all sorts of late C19th machines. (Among what choice there was, this kit represented a relatively cheap item to start from.)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Leaving the factual replies behind, I might propose 'whatever medium size round top boiler side tank 0-6-0T you might want it to be'...

There's plenty of metal to carve into, and with a different smokebox door, boiler fittings, buffers and other characteristic parts it formed a good basis for production of all sorts of late C19th machines. (Among what choice there was, this kit represented a relatively cheap item to start from.)

That is not a bad idea.

Thanks for all the replies.  I missed the 3f thinking that the step down in the top line of the side tanks wasn't a very MR feature. Guess I dont't know my midland engines very well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Traintresta said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I missed the 3f thinking that the step down in the top line of the side tanks wasn't a very MR feature. Guess I dont't know my midland engines very well.

I think that feature was peculiar to the 3F tanks and is what makes it recognisible.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Should scrub up well enough with a Bachmann Jinty/1F chassis, which would have the correct wheels, coupling rods, and wheel spacing.

It does look to be a very well made kit so I think I'll keep it but I'll make my own chassis out of brass, using gibson wheels and a high level gearbox.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2