A little freelance OO9 project.

Bob S

I’ve  built layouts in a number of scales; HO, OO, On30, N, but I always like making the smallest layouts I can get away with!  When I discovered the range of products for OO9, I was hooked.  I’ll try to share my progress in this thread.  All observations are welcome, just be gentle!

I decided to use Peco settrack to have curves compatible with a lot of rolling stock.  First step was to use my Anyrail design software to see what size board I was going to need for my concept.   It measured out at 24” by 44”.

9E737FC4-68D8-4A73-B136-B8B91FF5DFBF.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m in Southern California, so there isn’t much of an OO9 community to run to rely on, so the internet and YouTube are important sources of info for me.

Anyrail can produce 3D renderings of a track plan.  The vertical dimensions seem exaggerated, and the track width seems small, but this is its interpretation.  I’m using this layout to practice hills and rocks modeling techniques, but it won’t be as extreme as this image.

0C06AAD1-8392-426D-A765-DDA051B47861.jpeg

• Like 1

Software and reality don’t always coincide, so the next step was to test curves, grades and overhead clearances, so I assembled a partial trackage segment.  I’m using Woodland Scenics inclines to maintain a consistent grade. 5% was indicated on Anyrail, so I took a 3% and a 2% incline and combined them.  My test vehicles were a Bachmann Rheneas and a Peco freelance Brake van, and a MinitrainS Gmeinder Diesel and wagon set.  All worked well, each engine pulling 8 of these little cars.  All slipped under the overheads with room to spare.

Encouraged by this, the remainder of my trackage is on its way.

CAD0FD37-49CD-4C50-BEA5-B027AAD47FCE.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks Bob..it's a 9 inch set track curve with the impulse buy Bachmann Baldwin that started it all. The pic came out really well and my son who built the layout with me has really enjoyed getting involved. Most of the layout is repurposed material from my 00 layout but the track and points are n gauge donated by a friend.

20190607_191506.jpg

20190416_201410.jpg

20190407_163623.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice!  Speaking of locomotives, I bought the Bachmann “Rheneas” and did a quick conversion.  Sacrilege I know to Thomas fans, but I changed out the smokebox door with a part found on Shapeways.

4DA36C34-A686-490F-8254-A47EFE613CF3.jpeg

Edited by Bob S
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bob S said:

Very nice!  Speaking of locomotives, I bought the Bachmann “Rheneas” and did a quick conversion.  Sacrilege I know to Thomas fans, but I changed out the smokebox door with a part found on Shapeways.

4DA36C34-A686-490F-8254-A47EFE613CF3.jpeg

Hello hello, I do believe that that is my design :) delighted to see it being used :) I trust it was all okay?

Hi Edge!  Yes, that is yours. It fits perfectly, nearly clicks into place.  Can hardly see the seam. Took about four days from order to delivery.  Good stuff.

Trainlover, beautiful detailing!

Honest Tom, yes rabbit warren is an apt description.  I did change one aspect, making a go-around siding on top.  Here’s an update photo.  The spindly support towers will be replaced with permanent support now that I know clearances are adequate.

3820AEF6-A2CC-4C83-8857-768CCE17A2B8.jpeg

Edited by Bob S
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, progress is being made.  However, I’ve run across a complication. I have a number of transition areas between level and 5% grade segments.  Some of my Peco OO9 shorty coaches will disconnect, due to the change in  angle of the couplers.

If any of you have experienced this, did you do any modifications of the couplers, and were they successful?  Are there other couplers on the market, and are they easy to substitute?  

At at this point I don’t really expect to shunt the coaches, so I could say, add a wire post to one coupler that the corresponding coupler can’t disengage, but any ideas are welcome.

I’ll ll post a picture or two once I clean up the board.  No scenery, just track bed support at this point.

Edit: are the Peco couplers NEM style, in other words pull out removable?  That’d make it easy to modify.  There’s nobody I know here in Southern California who I can ask!

Edited by Bob S

• RMweb Premium

The Peco couplings have NEM fittings so will pull out.

Greenwich couplings https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/components/products/cpl3 

can replace them but may not guarentee solving the problem although they are etch brass so the loop will be a bit heavier than the plastic one of the peco.

They are much finer than the Peco ones so look better.

I have used the Peco GR-105 close coupling inbetween the 4 wheel coaches so they might work https://www.hattons.co.uk/270136/peco_products_gr_105_pack_of_12_narrow_gauge_close_couplings_for_nem355_pockets/stockdetail.aspx

Richard, thanks!  Armed with your info, I pulled out the coupler, no problems.  So, am I correct that Peco’s GR-102 is the direct replacement and the 105 still fits into the pocket, but is closer?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Bob S said:

Richard, thanks!  Armed with your info, I pulled out the coupler, no problems.  So, am I correct that Peco’s GR-102 is the direct replacement and the 105 still fits into the pocket, but is closer?

The GR-102 is the one fitted.

The GR-105 is really designed for the slate wagons but heres a pic of them fitted to the 4 wheel coaches

36171658694_d476b7614a_c.jpgIMG_9683 by Richard Doe, on Flickr

• Like 3

The route is finalized.  Lots of tunnels & grades!  It’ll be fun to devise scenery for it.  Maybe a snow capped peak, or a quarry pit...who can say?  This has been all done with Woodland Scenics products.

I did run a pin pin up from the couplers, now they stay connected through the dips and humps.  Richard, your coaches look great.  I think my curves might be too tight for them.

The Rheneas can pull three, but not four Peco coaches up the grade.  I have a Skarloey enroute, we’ll see how many it can pull.

E38DBEC0-1B0A-4859-BA2F-461345C768C7.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Looks good so far.

Curves maybe a bit tight for the close coupling but you could try a pack if you're ordering from somewhere at anytime.

You could try gluing a piece of thin brass wire on the Peco loop to help weigh it down. Being plastic they are quite light although sounds like you may have sorted it with a pin.

The left hand loop might lend itself well to a deep slate quarry.

Might it be worth trying to introduce some undercut into the upright peg? I do this with the older GR-101 type (though not built to the instructions) to add a degree of 'tension lock'.

GR-101rebuilt.jpg.8d2a21bba5249359f8333257485ed98d.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Bob S said:

Richard, your coaches look great.  I think my curves might be too tight for them.

The Peco coaches with close couplings work fine on 9" set-track curves.

166.JPG.181bb03cb4cd2eebdce687a417ba7051.JPG

15 hours ago, Bob S said:

I have a Skarloey enroute, we’ll see how many it can pull.

You may be disappointed, it's rigid chassis design may cause problems at your gradient transitions.

• Like 2

Hi Nile, you’re absolutely right.  The Skarloey cannot manage my grades.  It’s not so much the transitions, but the curves and grades combinations.  As the track curves and climbs, it has to “twist” a bit.  Skarloey can’t do it.  Ah well, that just means I’ll have to build another layout it can handle!  I wonder if the Bachmann 4-6-0 is flexible enough to work.  I’ve tried some n scale locomotives, and they work.

Anyway, the layout is progressing; fascia boards up, and some scenery.  I’m using Woodland Scenics shaper sheet techniques.  It’s a bit expensive, but for this size board it’s ok.  It’s also easy to modify with a hobby knife.  ECFD62AD-5B16-4D19-B67E-8D086BD6C5F4.jpeg.10f0135f710b558f357e559a4dd2ed1b.jpegE245732F-1CB6-4659-8E2A-F9FEAE44D724.jpeg.6923bb80c81454f9a4c033e1891ba0b8.jpegI’m also casting their rocks in plaster.

C8177915-BB10-4687-8EB2-E1E248F37F4C.jpeg

• Like 13