A little freelance OO9 project.

Bob S

Hey guys, could use a little help.  I have a Minitrains Gmeinder Diesel, which I used to my track concepts.  The electric motor died!  I disassembled it to the point that the problem is inside the can, probably a brush unseated or something.  Can’t find any source to get a replacement motor.  I bought it as part of a train set on closeout. If it can’t be fixed, it’s not worth a full retail replacement, and its little cars will be orphans!

Oh, and another question.  Are there any other options than a tunnel for this overlapping track?  In the US, there’d be a wood trestle.  Maybe a brick viaduct?

53F25907-6B7C-46AC-A74A-F11F51F7119C.jpeg

• Like 3

I tested out a video capability, using some components from radio control drones.  Being micro sized, resolution is coarse.  I’m just starting scenery work, if you view this with your mind’s eye, there’s a lot of potential.

Just received a Bachmann 10-12-D.  It climbs better than the Thomas engines, but still is limited in the number of cars it’ll pull.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

A recent detail; tracks done, now it’s time for scenery.  I got the henge stones in a little box at a book store.  It had a history and layout of the Stonehenge monument.  I didn’t use all of them, and squeezed the ones I used into the vacant corner.

D31969B3-5C63-476E-A735-0C925549BEF6.jpeg

• Like 10

• 4 months later...

Well, I had to give up my mountain railway. Grades were so steep my locos could only haul a couple of cars each, and two locos burned up their motors. So, now it's NO grades, just some hills and such. Once again 24" by 48", using Peco Settrack. here's a couple of progress shots. I'm still including a sheep meadow and a stone henge from the previous world.

Shapeways 3D Printing has provided some valuable pieces; OO9 tunnel portals, a vertical boiler engine shell, and OO9 water tower among others.

IMG_E0283.JPG

IMG_E0287.JPG

• Like 9

I’ve dubbed this my Bryn Caregog Railway, Stony Hill for all my cast rocks. Hope my machine translation is appropriate.

FACE9C56-14A8-413B-8861-0E1476087981.jpeg

Edited by Bob S
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob, all looks great. Just out of interest, I take it that Skarloey, Rheneas, and the red & blue narrow gauge coaches all run fine on the 9” curves?

Also are you using the Peco set track insulfrog turnouts, and if so, have you had any problems with Skarloey & Rheneas stalling on the frogs?

Hi guys.

Font; it’s all Peco set track, and the turnouts are all insulfrog. Rheneas and Skarloey run fine on the curves, and hardly ever stall on the turnouts. Their weight, and the frog angle help. I also have their Rusty, also with no problems. Actually, I have a Bachmann 10-12-D that does worse on the turnouts. All the ready to run rolling stock I’ve bought negotiates the track well. I have one of Peco’s long Ffestiniog coaches that I use to ensure there is clearance on the curves, and it handles them and the turnout fine.

The only vexing issue with the OO9 rolling stock is their couplers. I know that’s been covered elsewhere. I just run a pin through one coupler on each car to make a reliable connection. These also have no problems on the layout curves and turnouts.

Colin: thanks for the compliment.

I've attached a fairly recent “aerial view”, and a detail of a retaining wall in progress.

10A637AD-2F2F-45E6-A97D-9A42F5712026.jpeg

1485FA48-D557-4C1B-8866-8306F4B3D12A.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks for that Bob. Haven’t got a layout or stock yet, and have been deliberating what to do about track for a while. I’d much prefer the set track as I’m a total beginner, but thought the Skarloey locos and carriages may be just a bit too long for 9” radii, but too short for the insulfrogs and stall. Sounds like they’re maybe just about ok in both regards though.

Font; glad to share. The Thomas locos are actually very good mechanisms. I’m sure we’ll see them in the future Bachmann releases. None of the Heljan locos will handle Peco curves, I’m told. The worst feature of the Peco settrack is the rail joiners, they’re almost microscopic, and one connect/disconnect will spread them making connections problematical. Not a deal breaker, just a quirk. Make sure you have extras.

I had to say the locos aren’t perfect over points, but I’d give them a 98% rating. I did burn out a Rheneas motor trying to climb my earlier 5% grade layout, that’s why my track is now all level.

i do have a YouTube video of the various locos running on 150mm Kato n scale curves, under Robert Stinson. Kato track is great for experimenting with layouts.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On a 5% grade and in a Peco curve, I had three short Peco coaches, and the loco would wheel slip, which I'm sure over-reved the motor. I mean, it didn't happen immediately, it was my constant efforts to get it up the hill!

Earlier I posted a first person video of the first layout. I had to use an n scale Bo-Bo diesel to run the camera car uphill.

Edited by Bob S

I've put this clip on Youtube just to show how various rtr trains handle Peco settrack.During the second half, I ran the train over a misaligned switch. Couldn't do that on my OO DCC layout!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Cracking little layout. I keep thinking I'd like to do something freelance in narrow gauge, but never find the time, money or inspiration. That poor bus driver looks like he's heading for a spot of bother when he gets to the end of the lane though. Did no one tell him there's no space to turn around? :scratchhead: