OO gauge vinyl overlays on EBay

2 hours ago, 08221 said:

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has tried these out and if they are any good.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F133065921824

Any feedback would be welcome as a couple look quite useful.

Take care and stay safe :)

I think the guy who does them was at DEMU the other week, i have his card somewhere as they look a good way to spruce up some old mk2s. They looked very good stuck over old lima/Hornby ones, bit shiny but im sure some varnish would sort and maybe a plain base coat so factory finish doesnt come through. Very good idea and ill be investigating further at somepoint

Hope this helps

James

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James, really appreciate your reply.

yes, I was thinking of a neutral grey base coat and using old Lima Mk2’s.

will order one up and see how it goes...

thanks again.

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

I think the guy who does them was at DEMU the other week, i have his card somewhere as they look a good way to spruce up some old mk2s. They looked very good stuck over old lima/Hornby ones, bit shiny but im sure some varnish would sort and maybe a plain base coat so factory finish doesnt come through. Very good idea and ill be investigating further at somepoint

Hope this helps

James

Hi James

They are not the same as Adam's. Adam trades as Electra Rail.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi James

They are not the same as Adam's. Adam trades as Electra Rail.

Excellent, thanks Clive, have the details on the modelling bench from DEMU but alas i am not there, thanks for the correction. 08221, ELECTRA are well worth checking out.

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, w124bob said:

If the Ebay seller is this person https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-Vinyl-Decal-To-Fit-Hornby-Bachmann-MK2-Coaches-DB-999550-HSTRC/133065921824?hash=item1efb58d520:g:Tt4AAOSwEwZc7EDX then this particular overlay is wrong as the 2 sides have different windows blanked out on either side.

They look okay to me in terms of window blanking. Don't forget that one of them gets turned round to fit on the other side.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not too impressed with vinyl overlays as IMHO they look terrible bulging over moulded on decals with air bubbles behind the windows (if clear vinyl is used for the windows).  The HSTR lettering on the HSTR coach vinyls in the eBay listing is particularly poor - not even aligned vertically.

Darius

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the mention, Clive. These vinyls listed on eBay are considerably different from Electra vinyls. Mine are professionally printed on clear-backed self-adhesive vinyl with see-throuigh windows.

Depending on the base model, it is sometimes recommended to smooth down the bodysides to give the best finish. The clear film over the windows can be trimmed out with a sharp knife if required, though it does give a great flush-glazed effect on older coaches, such as the Lima Mk1/2/3 or Hornby Mk2a. I am developing a new range called "Electra Classic", specifically designed to spruce up older RTR vehicles.

Details at www.electrarail.co.uk

NSE (Mobile).JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just reading Electra rails facebook page, it seems the demise of Thomas Cook is brought a little closer to our hobby.

i’m planning a little stocking up on Electra vinyls for future projects as I’m sure a but of extra business maybe welcome their way right now.

• Like 1