FLYING SCOTSMAN X SIX ( Up Dated )

DonnyRailMan

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, I just 'don't get' Flying Scotsman. It's the same with KGV, and I'm dyed in the wool Western.  I'd rather see a pannier, or 56xx doing the work.

Strangely enough, a Brit, 71000, Big Lizzie or a rebuilt Bulleid gets me every time.  I don't know why. Perhaps the A3 & A4 were never designed to carry a mid-chrome green paint scheme. 

Ian.

Edited by tomparryharry
Forgetfulness.

49 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Strangely enough, a Brit, 71000, Big Lizzie or a rebuilt Bulleid gets me every time.  I don't know why. Perhaps the A3 & A4 were never designed to carry a mid-chrome green paint scheme. 

Ian.

Me personally i am drawn to Gresley A3s / A4s & Pepercorns A1s A2s. It probably due to the Doncaster conception.  I understand what you mean 

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

The LNER apple green livery without the smoke deflectors looked wonderful when I went on a railtour headed by the Flying Scotsman in 1968 but now I prefer it in BR green with smoke deflectors.

I know what you mean about the smoke deflectors. I like the A3 with or without deflectors. The deflectors just seem to give the A3s the slight hedge in style.

• Agree 1

Pure nostalgia here! My first Flying Scotsman from around 1953 by Trix Twin. I had this for years until the chassis fragmented (zinc rot!) In those days the model cost £10.00!

I think the model represents FS as built as an A1.

trix-twin-6-ac-br-dark-blue-flying_360_84cb0a56dded0009c71e83a9edd6603c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 06:35, DonnyRailMan said:

U My Flying Scotsmen in six different trims.

F S 1.jpg

F_S_2.jpg

F S 3.jpg

F S 4.jpg

F S 5.jpg

Flying Scotsman A1 LNER.jpg

I'm curious, Donnyrailman, was the black wartime 4472 a Hornby release in that livery or was it a paint job by you?

Looks great regardless.

cheers.

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

I'm curious, Donnyrailman, was the black wartime 4472 a Hornby release in that livery or was it a paint job by you?

Looks great regardless.

cheers.

Hi Robmcg.

The WarTime Flying Scotsman was RailRoad in LNER green and striped back to black body shell . Then coverd with a coat of satin lacquer. Thank you glad you like it Aspier Models down in Dorchester did it for me.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll give it credit, but the German smoke deflectors do give the locomotive a certain business appearance.  

The thing is Flying Scotsman was still as built A1 so would not need the smoke deflectors and still had single chimney.

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:15, DonnyRailMan said:

My sixth Flying Scotsman in original A1 configuration  .

This is mid/ late 80s Margate made all metal loco body. 

Flying Scotsman A1 LNER.jpg

Weird, my mid 80s Scotsman has a plastic loco body.

• Agree 1