Brass Wire Brushes for mini drill/Dremel etc.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm in need of some new brass wire brushes to use with my mini drill - this kind of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Brass-Wire-Brush-Set-Polishing-Wheel-Clean-Full-Kit-For-Dremel-Rotary-Tool/282736993975?hash=item41d47026b7:g:nY4AAOSwk-1aDj8x&frcectupt=true

My question is - is there a preferred brand that sheds brass wire/lasts longer than the others?  Dremel perhaps?

Many thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium

It might help if the title was corrected. I was scratching my head wondering what wire bushes were. Then again, it made me open the thread, so perhaps typos in thread titles aren't such a bad thing after all 

• Thanks 1

• polybear changed the title to Brass Wire Brushes for mini drill/Dremel etc.
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rab said:

It might help if the title was corrected. I was scratching my head wondering what wire bushes were. Then again, it made me open the thread, so perhaps typos in thread titles aren't such a bad thing after all 

Sorted.  Gold Star for observation :good:

Arghh - hateful things always shedding wire that then somehow gets into the house and then into my feet. I've moved onto scotchbrite  pendant wheels 

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Scotch-brite-Pendant-Wheel-prcode-999-ACR

and these radial discs

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/3m-Radial-Disc-Kit,-6-Each,-3------Grades-And-3-Mandrels-prcode-999-1967&query=kitssale19consumable&channel=uk

Jon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jonhall said:

Arghh - hateful things always shedding wire that then somehow gets into the house and then into my feet. I've moved onto scotchbrite  pendant wheels 

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Scotch-brite-Pendant-Wheel-prcode-999-ACR

and these radial discs

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/3m-Radial-Disc-Kit,-6-Each,-3------Grades-And-3-Mandrels-prcode-999-1967&query=kitssale19consumable&channel=uk

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks :)

Hateful things?  That's them.....

I really like the Scotchbrite ones - I'll be buying some of them.....

The Radial Discs look good, although a bit pricey; however I did find these on ebay which could be worth investing in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18Pcs-1Inch-Radial-Bristle-Disc-Brush-6-Mandrel-Rotary-Adapter-Shank-3Mm-X1G1/302966809566?hash=item468a3aa3de:g:wI0AAOSwVwtbXLgo&frcectupt=true

HTH

Kind Regards,

Brian

p.s. Are you still resin casting?  I do seem to recall you suggesting that my Rover 214 (owned for 23 years, 239K miles) should go to the Gas Axe.....it has :cry: Gutted.  However, the registration (nothing clever or meaningful, no initials etc.) went onto the new car; I saved all the Rover badges too..... :D  Sad?  Yep....

The new car?  MG3  :biggrin_mini2:

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Hi Jon,

Many thanks :)

Hateful things?  That's them.....

I really like the Scotchbrite ones - I'll be buying some of them.....

The Radial Discs look good, although a bit pricey; however I did find these on ebay which could be worth investing in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18Pcs-1Inch-Radial-Bristle-Disc-Brush-6-Mandrel-Rotary-Adapter-Shank-3Mm-X1G1/302966809566?hash=item468a3aa3de:g:wI0AAOSwVwtbXLgo&frcectupt=true

At that price I've ordered a set from China to compare as well - the colours represent grades, so I don't know what we will get?

p.s. Are you still resin casting? 

Not very much, most of my moulds reached the end of their life, and I couldn't continue demo'ing without re-doing them, I do howeever have a couple of projects where I have made the mould, just need a clear spell to buy the resin and knock out the parts.
I

do seem to recall you suggesting that my Rover 214 (owned for 23 years, 239K miles) should go to the Gas Axe.....it has :cry: Gutted.  However, the registration (nothing clever or meaningful, no initials etc.) went onto the new car; I saved all the Rover badges too..... :D  Sad?  Yep....

The new car?  MG3  :biggrin_mini2:

Goodness! that's a serious mileage - are you certain it wasn't a Honda built one impersonating a Rover? My 213 (a Van Den Plas no less! ) rusted away to dust over 20 years ago, and I wasn't sad to see the back of it, Sadly I didn't learn and replaced it with another Rover, which whilst it didn't rust, you could check the water pump was still working by reving the engine and spraying unsuspecting bystanders with water escaping the crack in the cylinder head. It was only when I bought my first Subaru that I realised that completing a journey shouldn't just be an aspiration...

Jon

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, jonhall said:

At that price I've ordered a set from China to compare as well - the colours represent grades, so I don't know what we will get?

Goodness! that's a serious mileage - are you certain it wasn't a Honda built one impersonating a Rover?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Found some alternatives to the Scotchbrite wheel too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-20mm-Scotch-Brite-Scouring-Pad-Polishing-Mop-3mm-Shank-Nylon-Fiber-Wheel/222803594824

(20 off, from China)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40pcs-dremel-scotch-brite-Buffing-Polishing-Wheel-1-25mm-Mixed-Set-Accessories/333142805958

(40 off, from UK)

HTH

Brian

p.s. Ricky the Rover was definitely UK-bred; Ricky had the last laugh too - two grand trade-in (scr*ppage) given on a new motor  :) 

(* I hate that word :( )

I've used two different sets of the 'scotchbrite' wheels, one from Cookson that I was happy with, and another from I don't recall where, that didn't really have the right hardness for brass, and seemed to fall apart a bit quickly - I suspect that anything from China hasn't got much 3M scotchbrite in it.

Jon

Just as a word of warning.
I have bought these from a seller in China and the bloody things started to disintegrate from the moment I started to use them.
Fortunately with a bit of help from Ebay I got my money back BUT I can assure you all I am a damn sight more careful where I purchase them from now!

Khris

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2019 at 08:42, jonhall said:

Jon

Hi Jon,

How did you get on with the chinese flap wheels?  My first order never arrived (refunded) and my second order from a different chinese supplier arrived yesterday.  Do they actually have any abrasive qualities - they appear to be just different coloured plastic at first glance.....

Cheers,

Brian

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2019 at 08:44, kandc_au said:

Just as a word of warning.
I have bought these from a seller in China and the bloody things started to disintegrate from the moment I started to use them.
Fortunately with a bit of help from Ebay I got my money back BUT I can assure you all I am a damn sight more careful where I purchase them from now!

Khris

Was that the scotchbrite wheels or the flap wheels?

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Hi Jon,

How did you get on with the chinese flap wheels?  My first order never arrived (refunded) and my second order from a different chinese supplier arrived yesterday.  Do they actually have any abrasive qualities - they appear to be just different coloured plastic at first glance.....

Cheers,

Brian

I've been using them for a few weeks, I meant to do a little review/assessment, because there is no indication of what the 'hardness' order is, and I think some (of the flap wheels) are a bit too hard for brass and actually capable of damaging the surface.

maybe I'll look at doing that today.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jonhall said:

I've been using them for a few weeks, I meant to do a little review/assessment, because there is no indication of what the 'hardness' order is, and I think some (of the flap wheels) are a bit too hard for brass and actually capable of damaging the surface.

maybe I'll look at doing that today.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

The ones I've purchased state:

Green (1000 grit)

Dark green (80 grit)

Blackish green (120 grit)

Grey (400 grit)

Purple (600 grit)

Red (220 grit)

HTH

Brian

SO my test subject was this, a Golden Arrow L&B coach, that I bought from Chris Meacham about 30 years ago as a reject because the etching had gone terribly wrong.

abrasive001.jpg.1d3b8b2925c74c790411b873eaf801f6.jpg

First up the 'scotchbrite' mops all have been given a similar time and speed

abrasive002.jpg.b7c7e22d9436a5bce830e2d1ea458e9e.jpg

Difficult to photograph but I percieve that the green has cleaned the scale off best, and the other 3 give a pretty good polishing - possibly too good if you want the paint to adhere well. Would I recommend - yes. As good as the Cookson ones - probably.

Next the 'flap wheels' I think these are the same as Polybears?

abrasive005.jpg.5d6907086eb5f0121925c23c769fac77.jpg

I felt the dark blue (left) and the dark green (right) are too hard for brass and are actually eroding the panelling. The pale green seems OK on brass

abrasive004.jpg.d132e562e9938d13afc1e89a343bd592.jpg

The grey and red both seem to do a pretty good job

abrasive003.jpg.27655d54d60afcdd0f705e7d85242e5a.jpg

as does the purple/lilac

I then looked for something a bit harder to try them on - a little patch of steel setsquare

abrasive006.jpg.b17a1daedda174260540e50df19d0fa3.jpg

Same running order, the dark blue/dark green give the heaviest clean,.

Would I recommend - yes, as good as the Cookson - possibly, they certainly seem to last longer. The mandrills are a bit rubbish, a couple so far just wont hold the disc, they have lost the thread, but as one mandril is supplied per disc, as long as a few are OK then no problem. I've also taken to doubling the little rubber washers to either side of the disc.

Jon 

• Informative/Useful 3