Colas Class 60

Apologies if this has already been covered but I’ve got a Hornby colas tug which is the standard Hornby release (60087) and I want to renumber it and remove the printed nameplate. Renumbering is something that is new to me and I’m very much a beginner so I’m just wondering what is the best method of removing the printed nameplate without damaging the colour on the loco body side. If I can master this I may be able to purchase another of Hornby’s red DB class 60044 to renumber!

thanks in advance 

I’ve always used T cut on a cotton bud. Its abrasive and leaves a shiny finish ideal for taking new transfers.

if you do it , I mask off  the area I need to remove so not too much goes shiny, after wards I use water to make sure all traces of t cut are gone as it turns crusty white when it dries and is hard to get rid of.

• Thanks 1

Don’t rub too hard, on a Hornby 60 I took off the background grey before the mainline logos shifted.... ideally afterwards needs a spray of Matt varnish to blend in with the rest but not essential

• Thanks 1

I use a blunt cocktail stick dipped in T cut (it actually lives in the Tcut so it is absorbed into the stick) rather than a cotton bud as it gives much better control, a cotton bud will cover a much bigger area than the numbers you are trying to remove increasing the chances of removing the paint.

Best bet is to (carefully) try different methods and then decide which one suits you best.

Edited by royaloak
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shoey

I have used a cotton bud soaked in Brasso for all my renumbering, including printed nameplate removal and found it perfect.

Rub gently, don’t be impatient, and you will end up with a perfect gloss area to apply your new decals. Steve at Railtec Models has a great selection of Coas numbers and they are a joy to apply. Once all dry, I give a quick flash over with satin varnish from my airbrush and you would never know it has been renumbered.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply guys, really appreciate it. Removing the numbers I have found relatively easy to do but I’ve heard and found that removing the printed nameplates rather challenging. Didn’t really fancy the risk of ruining my Colas 60 as they are hard to come by now. Decal sheet already arrived from Railtec (Superb service and extremely helpful! Can’t recommend Steve enough) Certainly going to try the methods mentioned above and will post my results in due course. Wish me luck!

• Like 1