Rail Ex TAUNTON 2019 - 26th & 27th October

peterw

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Platform 1 said:

I would've liked to have properly viewed Loftus Road, but the combination of dim lighting and crowds made it difficult - maybe another time/place? 

Thanks, yeah there seems to be a venue lighting malfunction above our layout in the Sports Hall and we are left operating a nighttime service only..! 

We’ve got a lighting gantry of our own but it’s under refurbishment, it would be our luck that it’s the only area of the hall without any light! I was securing instanter couplings just using the torch light from my iPhone this morning haha! :lol:

On the plus side, the Taunton guys have made us feel extremely welcome and even unloaded our van in about 5mins in the pouring rain, top service lads!

Our shows next year include Basingstoke, Trainwest and Spalding so hopefully you may be able to catch us then and not need to pack the torches next time! 

Cheers,

James

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, James Makin said:

Thanks, yeah there seems to be a venue lighting malfunction above our layout in the Sports Hall and we are left operating a nighttime service only..! 

We’ve got a lighting gantry of our own but it’s under refurbishment, it would be our luck that it’s the only area of the hall without any light! I was securing instanter couplings just using the torch light from my iPhone this morning haha! :lol:

On the plus side, the Taunton guys have made us feel extremely welcome and even unloaded our van in about 5mins in the pouring rain, top service lads!

Our shows next year include Basingstoke, Trainwest and Spalding so hopefully you may be able to catch us then and not need to pack the torches next time! 

Cheers,

James

I assumed the nocturnal look was deliberate.:jester:

Very effective but it must make it rather hard work with the manual couplings.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a really good day at the show, excellent variety of layouts and thanks to those who engaged with Nathan. He spent 20 minutes doing the Inglenook puzzle on Westwood yard, with some help from the young operator when we got a bit stuck (I'm sure the wagon sequence he drew was fiendishly awkward!). Then a good ½ hour driving Bodmin General, special thank to the lady (Sheila?) who talked him through the sequence. I'm quite jealous that he got the chances!

There seemed to be quite a few young ones around and plenty of operators were taking time explaining things, good to see.

Our real favourite was 'End if the line' having seen this online it's really impressive in reality. Again, thanks to the team there for discussing the layout with us.

A quick catch up with Rob at Mutton, with Nick (Brinkley) and Brian (Taz) as well.

Well done Somerset Railway Modellers. We'll be back next year!

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26th - 27th October 2019 saw the Somerset Railway Modellers Club host their Annual Rail-Ex Taunton - Model Railway Exhibition at Taunton School, Taunton, Somerset.
This years show featured no less than 35 stunning layouts in various scales, plus a wide selection of Demos, Societies and Trade Stands.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

excellent show, really enjoyed it. some great layouts, my favourite being Evercreech New in O gauge - enormous. Good range of traders too and i spent rather more than I intended. Lighting in the sports hall was appaling, felt like an exhibition held in semi darkness, but other rooms were good.

well done to all for arranging it.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well done! :)

D8E0FA72-63D9-44CC-A1A8-DB679E17C7C7.jpeg.927d15dc84d69f9c65a7c0709d7c66e7.jpeg

Didn't see that coming!!! 

Diolch yn fawr!!

Sheepbloke..........

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Had a really good day at the show, excellent variety of layouts and thanks to those who engaged with Nathan. He spent 20 minutes doing the Inglenook puzzle on Westwood yard, with some help from the young operator when we got a bit stuck (I'm sure the wagon sequence he drew was fiendishly awkward!). Then a good ½ hour driving Bodmin General, special thank to the lady (Sheila?) who talked him through the sequence. I'm quite jealous that he got the chances!

There seemed to be quite a few young ones around and plenty of operators were taking time explaining things, good to see.

Our real favourite was 'End if the line' having seen this online it's really impressive in reality. Again, thanks to the team there for discussing the layout with us.

A quick catch up with Rob at Mutton, with Nick (Brinkley) and Brian (Taz) as well.

Well done Somerset Railway Modellers. We'll be back next year!

Pete the builder of Westwood yard is the club member who started this thread. He will be pleased Nathan enjoyed it.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was busy on the door most of both days so didn't get to say hello to everyone. Also apologies to anyone who layout seemed to get only a cursery glance from me. Running the show does take up a lot of time. Hope to see you all next year.

Don 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a couple of pix from Taunton. These are straight out of the camera (just shrunk for posting), hence first in line. Others will need cropping etc.

Crossley Scrap. Great modelling and a superb example of getting a lot into a small space without overdoing it. 

John

P1270011r.jpg

P1270030r.jpg

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Apparently Kingmoor Park was damaged overnight on Saturday, the road bridge was pushed out of position, and this only came to light when the first train on Sunday couldn't get underneath.  The bridge was re-positioned and unless you knew where to look you wouldn't know that there had been a problem.

The odd thing about this was that the layout was positioned well back on its table i.e. there was a good gap between the front and the spectator aisle.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick thank you to Steve and his team for their hospitality this weekend, the Tidworth team enjoyed ourselves immensely and I hope the layout didn't disappoint when we finally got there this year! (although you did get 50% extra scenic area more than you would've done last year):wink_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Just a quick thank you to Steve and his team for their hospitality this weekend, the Tidworth team enjoyed ourselves immensely and I hope the layout didn't disappoint when we finally got there this year! (although you did get 50% extra scenic area more than you would've done last year):wink_mini:

Much appreciated.

Don

Bewdley now back in the clubrooms after a most enjoyable weekend for the team in Taunton.  We all had a great weekend and were amazed at the visitor numbers right up to closing time on Sunday.   Thank you Steve and your team for making us most welcome and for all your hospitality.  And thanks for all who voted Bewdley as Best in Show.

And personally - I just loved 'Mutton'.  It had such underplayed simplicity.  Forgive me for saying, but this layout proved that out of the box modelling can be just as powerful as scratch built modelling when it is carried out in the right hands with a creative mind. (AM)     

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

And thanks for all who voted Bewdley as Best in Show.

And personally - I just loved 'Mutton'.  It had such underplayed simplicity.  Forgive me for saying, but this layout proved that out of the box modelling can be just as powerful as scratch built modelling when it is carried out in the right hands with a creative mind. (AM)     

Thank you for your very kind words regarding Mutton and congratulations on 'Best in Show'. Well deserved. 

Rob. 

• Like 2