Rail Ex TAUNTON 2019 - 26th & 27th October

peterw

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

And personally - I just loved 'Mutton'.  It had such underplayed simplicity.  Forgive me for saying, but this layout proved that out of the box modelling can be just as powerful as scratch built modelling when it is carried out in the right hands with a creative mind. (AM)     

There are two or three RMweb layouts currently under development that espouse this minimalist approach. I find they offer an atmospheric 'environment' that reminds me vividly of the real railway in such locations. Less can truly, when well done, be more. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My thanks to Steve and the team for a very friendly show, this is the second layout we have taken and hopefully not the last. Thanks also for putting us opposite the EM gauge Society Stand as we made quite a good double act on promoting EM gauge over the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, kipford said:

My thanks to Steve and the team for a very friendly show, this is the second layout we have taken and hopefully not the last. Thanks also for putting us opposite the EM gauge Society Stand as we made quite a good double act on promoting EM gauge over the weekend.

As I was busy on the doors most of the weekend I only got to see this Sunday afternoon. I thought it excellent I would have spoken but you did seem to  have a young driver in training. I know at my age they all look young but this one definitely was rather young but obviously delighted. I do like to see people encouraging the young I have always found it very rewarding when exhibiting a layout myself.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I enjoyed the show thinking it well worth the 161 mile journey. If I may though, I think a great improvement would be to have chairs around the place to rest weary bodies.

Cheers

It is always a problem to place chairs as they can easily impede access around the hall. If you are weary a word to one of the Clumb members recogniseable by the blue shirts/sweatshirts with the club logos they may be able to help. Many find a sit down over lunch gives a chance to rest.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Don

Glad you appreciated it. I am always happy to let youngsters have a go be it Warley or a humble club one day show, the worst they can do is the buffers. One of our club members sons has been operating Brighton since he was 5. My own son has been operating since he was 6. The young driver you saw was my 6 yearold great nephew who is a complete live wire. However within 10 minutes we had him operating at normal layout pace. The EMGS stand guys took a picture for use in the society magazine.

• Like 2

Rambling Rich, regarding Bodmin General. Somebody drew my attention to the fact that I was mentioned in this particular post. I'm just back from the Spalding model railway exhibition having exhibited our vintage gauge layout Templeford at it last weekend.  Thank you for your kind words with regard to helping Nathan run Bodmin General for a while (it is not my layout, but I know the owners of it, which is partly why I was there running it myself!)

If you look at this link, you will see that what I did with Nathan, is not exactly unusual! My sister also does the same, as do some of my brothers.

https://templeford.myfreesites.net/page-17-bessels-green-week-2019

Claire Sheppy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Claire, many apologies for getting your name wrong!:blush: It does show that it's quite easy to get young folk interested, especially if they see something out of the ordinary happening (as with End Of The Line's unloading action and remote control truck) or they are talked through operations with patient and level guidance (as yourself did).

Again, much appreciated, but some jealously on my part for Nate getting all the fun...!