4 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I think 9793 Tom's idea of treating the NWR as a real railway to be modelled as such rather than basing a model on the book illustrations is an excellent one. 

Thanks David

I'm following the latter illustrations on the locos fairly closely, as they are quite accurate, but where in doubt I'm referring to Awdry's writing, and what was going on with BR (for example regarding wagons).

It's proving a fascinating research process. :)

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Yes, most definitely! @Knuckles (Gavin) has made the correct 3D body shell and chassis. According to Awdry, James was experimental design based on the L&Y Class 28, with an extended running plate and pony wheels, plus 5ft 6inch drivers (as opposed 5ft 1inch).

Photo used courtesy of Gavin.

625x465_25436537_13818065_1540731682.jpg.cb0962a4f1d82bacb06386c6e2c496c3.jpg

Hi There,

I was always under the impression that James the Red Engine was a derivative of McIntosh's 34 Class of the Caledonian Railway as that was an actual design.

It would seem though that the L&Y locomotive has the correct shape fie=re box and cab windows all the same.

former-caledonian-railway-34-class-2-6-0

I'm really enjoying the thread so far !

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well seeing this has inspired me to dig out my collection of little books to read over the weekend. I am justifying it all on the grounds of research :derisive:

I too am really enjoying this! Nice to see so many fellow Sudrian fans coming out the woodwork. Let's face it, Awdry's books have inspired generations of railway enthusiasts and have probably set 99% of us in the road to bring modellers. Tales of Sodor certainly underpin my life-long interest. 

Keep on sharing! 

David

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, 9793 said:

1994848857_DuckProudGWR.jpg.65a777ab452b550a464a72e931ecfd50.jpg

It's rather interesting to see an ex-Caledonian brake van there too - must have traveled down with the Twins!

Keyser did a kit for one of these in 4mm scale - given how accurate the beading is, one wonders if the illustrator was given one to copy!

360_c103402f6ff318de6b65ec0b869a3bdc.jpg.27446f741c75e9cdec312347099603ef.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

given how accurate the beading is, one wonders if the illustrator was given one to copy!

I strongly suspect so, given that the NW 20 ton brake van No. 13 in the picture of the Twins is evidently the prototype for the Triang R16 brake van! (Actually based on a late North Eastern / LNER design?)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

The texts of the Railway Series were based very firmly on correct prototypical operation, something I didn't appreciate as a child, so I did rather wonder whether youngsters seeing his layout at the show accepted it as the Ffarquahar branch from the books. 

They did if they talked to him :) I was treated to a detailed explanation of why things were done like that at one of the Model Engineering Exhibitions by the Rev. himself, my Mum was rather surprised I liked them without faces as I was a huge fan. I knew from an early age they were based on real stories but no idea when it ‘sunk in’ ;) 

Cracking idea to take the Reverend’s modelling ethos further :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I strongly suspect so, given that the NW 20 ton brake van No. 13 in the picture of the Twins is evidently the prototype for the Triang R16 brake van! (Actually based on a late North Eastern / LNER design?)

Yes, it’s the LNER Toad B recently produced by Hornby.

The Caledonian Brake Van is interesting. Sir Topham Hatt seemed to like to buy up other companies unwanted stock!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Yes, it’s the LNER Toad B recently produced by Hornby.

... but it was the Triang one Awdry showed to the artist.

I've been trying to find the "prototype" for the open wagon in the foreground of the CR brake van picture - it's got no end pillars, which is rather distinctive. The Triang 7-plank open did have end pillars.

Just now, Compound2632 said:

... but it was the Triang one Awdry showed to the artist.

I've been trying to find the "prototype" for the open wagon in the foreground of the CR brake van picture - it's got no end pillars, which is rather distinctive. The Triang 7-plank open did have end pillars.

Yes quite possibly, I was just meaning Hornby have brought out an all new version, which I’ll be using.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 9793 said:

Yeah @Knuckles is a clever chappy! Here is the section from the IOS on James:

What isn't mentioned there is that when the engine was sold to the NWR, a standard LMS tender (or possibly an old Midland Deeley tender) was substituted for the L&Y tender.

15 hours ago, 9793 said:

Thanks Phil

Why do you not think Dogfish? I'm not using the illustration as reference. I'm looking at the fact Ballast was being exported and then used throughout the NWR. Surely dog or catfish as this would be an 'engineering train'

The hoppers look like a cross between an early Iro-Ore hopper and one of the Dogfish modified to carry slag ballast. The fact that the side supports don't go to the top of the side is redolent of the latter

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The hoppers look like a cross between an early Iro-Ore hopper and one of the Dogfish modified to carry slag ballast. The fact that the side supports don't go to the top of the side is redolent of the latter

Cheers Brian (Shouldn't you be running the Railway! ;) )

I suspect there has been some artistic license regarding the depicted hoppers in Book 42.
I do like the idea of Dogfish!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

s89BBZi.jpg

ogMUcgw.jpg

L8Lb91I.jpg

XGtz86H.jpg

Qk2sROM.jpg

Ok, will leave it there!  Hope you enjoyed some of that.

Hi Knuckles,

Enjoyed all of that !

I have to say that the models I have edited into the above are the best representations of the various locomotives I have ever seen. I especially like your model of Gordon, it has a look of the RHDR locomotives about it from when they trailed their original short tenders.

My favourite engine was Percy, do you have a model of Percy ?

Your track plan looks effective although I would question how you will work express trains back into the big station without any form of balloon loop ?

The reason I ask is that a train on the Red line may terminate at the Big station, have a locomotive attached at the other end and worked back out onto the Blue line but once on the Blue line it cannot get back into the big station with out either reversing on a balloon loop or having a locomotive dispatched light engine. The only other option is that you could cheat and connect the Green through line in the big station to the Blue line in the back scene and sneak trains in that way.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gibbo, thanks for your post.

Percy is in progress, bottom of my post!!

With Tidmouth the return is easy.  If not using the Ffarquhar branch track at Knapford as a reverse loop simply use Knapford or a scene in the middle as a run around opportunity.

Trains going into Tidmouth are not trapped, they just decouple right of the left crossovers inside the canopies and run outside.

This trackplannis compressed for the space though.  In reality it may of had several slips to allow trains to run in and out without conflict...like Tom's first post showing my bigger Tidmouth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This is all fascinating stuff, especially as the 60s were my own Thomas years (born 1956).

There used to be a website called "The Real Lives of Thomas the Tank Engine", which had on it a lot of the sort of stuff being discussed here but it seems to have disappeared. I don't know who ran it - if it was anyone already posting here perhaps it could be (or has been?) resurrected somewhere.

• Like 1

Little Western Bling!

Need to tone down the representation of burnished rods and general under frame weathering, but I'm rather pleased with these two!

DSC05699.jpg.4f72bfd3aef784cd785c87caf95100da.jpg

The warehouse is one off my old Leaman Road layout (I've several) which will work well as part of the Tidmouth back drop.

DSC05701.jpg.e66d7595873f5a9ebbbf149817bb49dd.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

What a great post by @Knuckles! It's great to see serious modelling of the Rev Awdry's railways. It seems to be becoming more popular to consider Sudrian projects and can is only a good thing in my opinion. My favourites were always Toby and Edward..... look forward to seeing those two modelled one day :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Corbs said:

It was Martin Clutterbuck’s site, I think it’s been moved onto the same site as Sodor Island Forums

Thanks Corbs. I just had a quick look there, and read some of your content, but couldn't find anything that resembled remotely what I remember of the old site.

Anyone got more clues?

The Real Lives of Thomas site and content is being moved over to the new Sodor Island Fansite. Ryan is a busy man though!

Thanks for the appreciation on the models. I forgot to post pictures of Thomas though!   Will edit tomorrow most likely. Edward is in progress. Made 3D printed shells for him too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, south_tyne said:

What a great post by @Knuckles! It's great to see serious modelling of the Rev Awdry's railways. It seems to be becoming more popular to consider Sudrian projects and can is only a good thing in my opinion. My favourites were always Toby and Edward..... look forward to seeing those two modelled one day :)

Hi South Tyne,

Here are my versions of Toby and Edward, Toby was scratch built recently using a Dapol Pug chassis and Edward was a converted Triang L1 from about thirty years ago.

DSCF0631.JPG.4f956c97cb1b088934bc7324fd9beaf8.JPG

DSCF0739.JPG.dbc728817e3e351c8ca5d4dbce1c5664.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm probably overthinking this and of course Rule One applies but seeing both here can't help feeling that a serious model of the railways described in Rev. Awdry's books is better without the faces. For me the faces suggest a model of the book illustrations rather than of the "real" NWR. We do of course have the example of Awdry's own models of the railway's locos which were definitely without faces.  I think the first Ffarquhar layout came some time after the first books but I liked the interplay between them with Duck getting its name in the books from the waddling motion of Awdry's Gaiety pannier tank. 

Anyway, thanks to both Tom and Knuckles for all this. Now, has anyone built a serious model of the Merioneth and Llantisilly Rail Traction Company Limited?.Phss..ti..kuff but  I'm not sure about the antaomy of a small heraldic dragon!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3