3 hours ago, 9793 said:

Well, I must admit..... I was unsure whether to start a thread, unsure of what the reaction may be.

Fantastic introduction Mr 9793. Nothing but a positive reaction from me! I cannot wait to see what you do :) There are plenty of us Sudrian fans on here and I am sure there will be lots of folk who want to follow your progress. It's great to see something different and creative which takes a step away from the norm. 

3 hours ago, 9793 said:

This intends to be a fairly faithful interpretation of what Awdry depicted in his later books, and what he writes about in his book on the history of the North Western Railway/Region in 'The Island of Sodor, It's People, History and Railways'.

I too have always been fascinated by Rev Awdry's writings. That history book on Sodor is wonderful isn't it! I am not lucky enough to have a hard-copy of the book but am lucky to have aquired a PDF version a few years ago. It goes for silly prices online, far out of my budget range, but I hope to get a real copy one day. 

Anyway, I'll stop waffling, but keep sharing your ideas and plans... this is right up my street!! :good_mini:

David 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Fantastic introduction Mr 9793. Nothing but a positive reaction from me! I cannot wait to see what you do :) There are plenty of us Sudrian fans on here and I am sure there will be lots of folk who want to follow your progress. It's great to see something different and creative which takes a step away from the norm. 

I too have always been fascinated by Rev Awdry's writings. That history book on Sodor is wonderful isn't it! I am not lucky enough to have a hard-copy of the book but am lucky to have aquired a PDF version a few years ago. It goes for silly prices online, far out of my budget range, but I hope to get a real copy one day. 

Anyway, I'll stop waffling, but keep sharing your ideas and plans... this is right up my street!! :good_mini:

David 

Thank you David! I’m finding it fascinating researching the NWR again.

I’m currently looking into how I shall depict the Tidmouth-London fish train (yep you guessed it ‘The Flying Kipper’) and how I believe it would have looked in the early 1960s.

I will post more on that later. :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Woah woah woah.... You're telling me that Tom Foster, creator of some of the most realistic 00 LNER models I've ever seen, and owner of the incredibly atmospheric Cwm Prysor, is a Sudrian at heart?

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

20 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Woah woah woah.... You're telling me that Tom Foster, creator of some of the most realistic 00 LNER models I've ever seen, and owner of the incredibly atmospheric Cwm Prysor, is a Sudrian at heart?

giphy.gif

Ha!! It is what started me off properly railway modelling in 2007-2010. :)

• Like 2

My interpretation and interest comes from the latter Wilbert Awdry books (Book 13-26) primarily from 1960, and as referenced earlier this is how I intend to depict the locos and stock, with BR stock mixed in there (as technically the NWR was a Region of BR). Peter Edward's was and is my favourite illustrator for the Railway Series, and it is with reference to his artwork I'm using as a guide.IMG_0312.jpg.0a19e7c86fbf0b49637ae3c731ff7ff6.jpg

However reference to the earlier John T Kenney illustrations is proving useful regarding the wagon and location references.

1994848857_DuckProudGWR.jpg.65a777ab452b550a464a72e931ecfd50.jpg

Former LNER Toad B, bought by the NWR at some point and numbered 13 in the fleet.....and caused a lot of trouble for Caledonian Twins, No's 9 and 10 ;)

290801601_IMG_0247(1).jpg.93132978f66cd3c231fe6b50a86473f5.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I’ll have a basin full of this! Fascinating stuff and a fan myself. My lad now 27 last opened a book with me probably 19 years ago, I’m gonna have to dig them out again. Thanks for bringing the memories back, subscribed.

cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes I was brought up on these books . There's just something charming about them. Love the illustrations and the rolling countryside usually depicted .  Simpler times I think

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes I was brought up on these books . There's just something charming about them. Love the illustrations and the rolling countryside usually depicted .  Simpler times I think

Seconded. Following with great interest!

• Like 3

I'm genuinely touched by the discussion and interest this thread seems to have caused, and to think I nearly didn't bother starting a thread!

The other loco on the workbench that I need to finish, is a certain NWR Class 28. Removed the awful factory weathering with T-Cut which has left a rather nice sheen to the body work.

DSC05683.jpg.f383959fad7c67a19f6ae381f6d70dc5.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff Tom. 

I almost feel obliged to..........

Dig out my copies of various small books. 

Run my lads Toby the tram engine....

Looking forward to this...........a lot. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Goods stock is my main interest, hence planning to model the yards at Tidmouth.

Duck and Oliver's branch line, the Arlesburgh Branch or 'Little Western' runs from Tidmouth Station, parallel to the yards and north along the coast.

565362379_Screenshot2019-06-14at17_59_08.png.41090297cb305ebaa37b5f92c67b298e.png

The Small Railway bring ballast down from the Mid Sodor hills, which is then used on the NWR. Now the books show the NWR using opens, or in the final RWS book, No 42, these generic type hoppers.

IMG_0265.jpg.9f255008df1de8e47724e87d7953c261.jpg

I propose the NWR, would use Dogfish like BR in reality. These I would have in black engineering livery with 'Return to Arlesburgh' branding. Not exactly what is shown in the books, but I think this is where the reality of what BR would use helps to fill in the missing gaps. Does this sound plausible? 

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Nah Tom not Dogfish.

I reckon you have the monopoly on the generic incorrect dimensioned ironstone hopper which is still in production by Hornby and Bachmann.

Thanks Phil

Why do you not think Dogfish? I'm not using the illustration as reference. I'm looking at the fact Ballast was being exported and then used throughout the NWR. Surely dog or catfish as this would be an 'engineering train'

Edited by 9793

I was being a little frivolous actually. 

You could use Dogfish but there are loads of those "iron ore" hoppers on second hall stalls which might be a more economic proposition !!! 

The other warning flag is that some Heljan Dogfish had dodgy wheelsets IIRC.    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I was being a little frivolous actually. 

You could use Dogfish but there are loads of those "iron ore" hoppers on second hall stalls which might be a more economic proposition !!! 

The other warning flag is that some Heljan Dogfish had dodgy wheelsets IIRC.    

Ah, get you now Phil! :)
I have to say, the thought of a line of Dogfish coming down from the branch hauled by one of the NWR's twins (812 Caledonian Class) is a very appealing thought! :)IMG_0268.jpg.b683d4e5ab97c9772e6b6b7778d4680a.jpg

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, 31A said:

Any plans to make a model of "James", Tom?  That would be an interesting one!

Yes, most definitely! @Knuckles (Gavin) has made the correct 3D body shell and chassis. According to Awdry, James was experimental design based on the L&Y Class 28, with an extended running plate and pony wheels, plus 5ft 6inch drivers (as opposed 5ft 1inch).

Photo used courtesy of Gavin.

625x465_25436537_13818065_1540731682.jpg.cb0962a4f1d82bacb06386c6e2c496c3.jpg

• Like 13

The first MRC show I went to in Central Hall in 1961 featured Rev.Awdrey's Thomas layout. Little did I know then that in 1986 (I think) i would be operating my own Thomas layout at the same MRC exhibition but in the New Horticultural Hall, and as a bonus, the layout was featured along with an interview with the Reverand on the Wogan Show during the middle of the week!

My layout was built in under 2 weeks in my front room to fill a space in the show vacated by another layout that couldn't make it. Tim Watson, the then chairman asked if we could do a Thomas layout and we did! It was about 10'x4', had a doubl track main line, a double track terminus, an engine shed with goods yard, a separate branch line for Thomas and a fiddle yard! At that time the only stock available was Thomas with Annie and Clarabel, everything else had to be modified with plasticine faces. Oh, we had the famous cricket match and Bertie the Bus. It was featured in Railway Modeller and somewhere around I've got the official RM photos!

Cyril Freezer paid me a nice compliment on designing a layout that had everything, something he'd been trying to do for years, and could be operated in prototype fashion.

Of course we had the entire set of original Thomas books to hand and we were surprised at the wealth of knowledge and discussion the layout provoked amongst "serious modellers".

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 9793 said:

Yes, most definitely! @Knuckles (Gavin) has made the correct 3D body shell and chassis. According to Awdry, James was experimental design based on the L&Y Class 28, with an extended running plate and pony wheels, plus 5ft 6inch drivers (as opposed 5ft 1inch).

Photo used courtesy of Gavin.

Oh!  Clever stuff!  I was thinking in terms of a 3F with a pony truck!

• Like 1

I'm all for modelling the NWR as a real railway, to finescale standards; something I've always fancied doing.  So I admire Corbs's and your aims and ethos and very much look forward to what you come up with. 

In the beginning there was Awdry

And the Word was Awdry.

I learnt to read with the Railway Series.  Everything else followed. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Oh!  Clever stuff!  I was thinking in terms of a 3F with a pony truck!

Yeah @Knuckles is a clever chappy! Here is the section from the IOS on James:

1299430729_Screenshot2019-06-14at23_13_48.png.306ea9c9abad7ea32d777f71511e05af.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

38 minutes ago, roythebus said:

The first MRC show I went to in Central Hall in 1961 featured Rev.Awdrey's Thomas layout. Little did I know then that in 1986 (I think) i would be operating my own Thomas layout at the same MRC exhibition but in the New Horticultural Hall, and as a bonus, the layout was featured along with an interview with the Reverand on the Wogan Show during the middle of the week!

My layout was built in under 2 weeks in my front room to fill a space in the show vacated by another layout that couldn't make it. Tim Watson, the then chairman asked if we could do a Thomas layout and we did! It was about 10'x4', had a doubl track main line, a double track terminus, an engine shed with goods yard, a separate branch line for Thomas and a fiddle yard! At that time the only stock available was Thomas with Annie and Clarabel, everything else had to be modified with plasticine faces. Oh, we had the famous cricket match and Bertie the Bus. It was featured in Railway Modeller and somewhere around I've got the official RM photos!

Cyril Freezer paid me a nice compliment on designing a layout that had everything, something he'd been trying to do for years, and could be operated in prototype fashion.

Of course we had the entire set of original Thomas books to hand and we were surprised at the wealth of knowledge and discussion the layout provoked amongst "serious modellers".

Unless it was exhibited at Central Hall again after that, I think it must have been that same show that my father took me to when I actually met the Rev. Awdry and it feels about right age wise.  Needless to say, on his own models of Sodor, the locos didn't have faces so they're definitely not obligatory, more a sort of cartoon version of the real railway. I think 9793 Tom's idea of treating the NWR as a real railway to be modelled as such rather than basing a model on the book illustrations is an excellent one. The texts of the Railway Series were based very firmly on correct prototypical operation, something I didn't appreciate as a child, so I did rather wonder whether youngsters seeing his layout at the show accepted it as the Ffarquahar branch from the books. 

Do you happen to have a track plan of your own 1986 layout- it sounds interesting?

Edited by Pacific231G