Hi Tom,

I've had some thoughts regarding coaching stock for the NWR.

The non corridor compartment stock could possibly be bashed from the Triang R120/R121 coaches if they had details such as roof vents and buffers &c., painted brown and suitably re-bogied. The body profile seems to be of its own shape and so could be the NWR profile so to say. Thomas' Annie and Clarabel could be the body length as they come with short GWR Collett style bogies and there could be a main line version that is a compartment or two longer with perhaps different longer wheelbase bogies. You could even make full brake type BG's or six wheelers from the brake ends and use the compartment ends for full length coaches.

For mainline coaches I have always thought that the corridor side of the Triang Caledonian coaches R427/R428 look the part but at around £30.00 a pop that would cost a fortune ! Perhaps laser cut sides of a similar pattern would suffice on a either modified MK1 underframe or as an overlay onto the R120/R121 type coaches ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Annie and Clarabel always looked pretty much like a GWR B-Set to me, but maybe that's because I don't know much about the GWR.

Some ver serviceable, and oft forgotten, coaches are the Graham Farish / Grafar ones from the 1970s, which don't quite match any real prototypes, but look a bit like everything, so they might be worth a look.

Judging by eBay, they are not popular these days, probably because they are not prototypical, so pretty good value for money.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

For mainline coaches I have always thought that the corridor side of the Triang Caledonian coaches R427/R428 look the part but at around £30.00 a pop that would cost a fortune ! Perhaps laser cut sides of a similar pattern would suffice on a either modified MK1 underframe or as an overlay onto the R120/R121 type coaches ?

Triang produced them in other liveries notably in LMS and GWR and are available much cheaper than the Caledonian ones!

Mark Saunders 

The Track Plan looks good so far.
My only suggestion would be to add a crossover from the bottom shed road to the line above near the water tank.
It would make stabling locos from the Coal Stage to there a lot easier.

As for the good sidings down the bottom, would you have trains arriving in them or would it be local trips as part of the Yard Pilot's duties?

This would determine the need for either a double or single slip. Double if you plan to have trains arriving in there to be broken up. Single Slip if it's just going to be the domain of the Yard Pilot.

On a related note, is it stated anywhere what type signalling is used on the NWR or which other railway companies they drew inspiration from?
IE. Midland Lower Quadrant Semephores or standard BR MR region Upper Quadrants? 

• RMweb Premium

In regards to signalling I do believe I read somewhere that after the incident with NWR No.3 and the flying kipper lower quadrant where gradually replaced with upper quadrant. And this is why NWR No.6 mistakes a upper quadrant for a backing signal as he was unaware of the ongoing changes to the signalling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boco_D1 said:

In regards to signalling I do believe I read somewhere that after the incident with NWR No.3 and the flying kipper lower quadrant where gradually replaced with upper quadrant. And this is why NWR No.6 mistakes a upper quadrant for a backing signal as he was unaware of the ongoing changes to the signalling.

For some reason I seem to think that was because he didn't know what a distant signal was. Could be wrong though! 

6 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

For some reason I seem to think that was because he didn't know what a distant signal was. Could be wrong though! 

@Boco_D1 is indeed correct. Percy was confused having never seen a signal go ‘up’ having been use to lower quadrant signalling.

The new signalling was all part of Hatt’s Knapford Harbour development scheme I believe.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Boco_D1 said:

3 hours ago, Sharky said:

The Track Plan looks good so far.
My only suggestion would be to add a crossover from the bottom shed road to the line above near the water tank.
It would make stabling locos from the Coal Stage to there a lot easier.

As for the good sidings down the bottom, would you have trains arriving in them or would it be local trips as part of the Yard Pilot's duties?

This would determine the need for either a double or single slip. Double if you plan to have trains arriving in there to be broken up. Single Slip if it's just going to be the domain of the Yard Pilot.

Hi Sharky

I've made some amendments. 

Tidmouth.png.7d4039876b02cc3b5131b2b3a4cafad3.png

I've added a double slip for the 4th road to allow access from the coaling stage, and where needed, the other roads. 

I've made it a single slip off the main line into the yard. My plan is that coal trains would run into the Yard and possibly general goods too. I also plane to use the yard pilot, so I suppose I'm using it as a mix of mainline workings, plus pilot work (mainly Duck taking wagons to the coaling stage.)

• Like 3

The final tweak (I hope).

Tidmouth.png.7215788564c1644ab99f400a0d9c7ef5.png

I know it means more point work....but essentially I can work in and out of the yard with little need for reversing back and forth. A train can work in from Barrow (from the left)....run into the yard....drop off what is needed.....pick back up and then head out of the yard with the points on the right back on to the main line.

Then when a train is leaving Tidmouth for Barrow and it wants to come into the Yard, it will have crossed over from the up line off scene in the traverser, run into the yard....run around (using the other traverser) back down on the wagons, remarshall and then head out over the single slip and on it's way to Barrow.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Boco_D1 said:

Exciting times, looks like a very promising layout.

Thank you!
I'm really pleased with how everything is looking so far. Going to need some more track, and need to start amassing Peco points.....oh and will need some of those lovely slips when they appear!

Some photos, now I've mocked up some of the buildings.

D2 'Boco' with the Tidmouth parcels, passes NWR No 8 '5741 Duck' with a pick up goods for Knapford Junction.

DSC06203.jpg.f7f90a02e5e2cd690b4780d4540a0524.jpg

While No 8 passes with it's goods train,  NWR No 11 '1436 Oliver' shunts 16T minerals to the top of the coaling stage (the Awdry books work as an excellent incline ;) ).

DSC06205.jpg.eab8b816890bd93df124cad1cb8c45e4.jpg

NWR No 6 'Percy' shunts the yard running parallel to the main line.

DSC06204.jpg.42f2be68bdfb63e9748c2e59107b33a3.jpg

A shot showing the proposed coaling stage (with illustration below)

DSC06206.jpg.44a4a7788864d9944a86a321b91f8181.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg.5dd651e6da9cb9de002171854c2c3d20.jpg

Tidmouth NWR 4 Road Shed location/mock up.

DSC06207.jpg.453f1b4497dd6de32fa18d8a25d7a6d8.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg.fa6cea4eaabd6eb6ee355a2a12a96620.jpg

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 19

On 11/09/2019 at 21:20, Tom F said:

Some photos, now I've mocked up some of the buildings.

D2 'Boco' with the Tidmouth parcels, passes NWR No 8 '5741 Duck' with a pick up goods for Knapford Junction.

DSC06203.jpg.f7f90a02e5e2cd690b4780d4540a0524.jpg

While No 8 passes with it's goods train,  NWR No 11 '1436 Oliver' shunts 16T minerals to the top of the coaling stage (the Awdry books work as an excellent incline ;) ).

DSC06205.jpg.eab8b816890bd93df124cad1cb8c45e4.jpg

NWR No 6 'Percy' shunts the yard running parallel to the main line.

DSC06204.jpg.42f2be68bdfb63e9748c2e59107b33a3.jpg

A shot showing the proposed coaling stage (with illustration below)

DSC06206.jpg.44a4a7788864d9944a86a321b91f8181.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg.5dd651e6da9cb9de002171854c2c3d20.jpg

Tidmouth NWR 4 Road Shed location/mock up.

DSC06207.jpg.453f1b4497dd6de32fa18d8a25d7a6d8.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg.fa6cea4eaabd6eb6ee355a2a12a96620.jpg

Is that a green Stanier tender I spy? Henry next? *fingers crossed*

• Like 1

On 12/09/2019 at 22:12, Brocp said:

Is that a green Stanier tender I spy? Henry next? *fingers crossed*

Well spotted. It was the tender off my Henry that I made 11 years ago. I sold him on with a fowler tender, but never got rid of the Stanier Tender. I was using it as a rough guide for coaling stage height.

Speaking of NWR engines....No 5 is here! Not such a splendid 'red engine' at the moment (looks like the 16T are up to no good!)

70224490_361396361434154_5498660502366060544_n.jpg.8b5cd3aaf6fde39927460af2351965e5.jpg

• Like 8