9 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I know you might have said earlier in the thread but how are you constructing James?

Tender drive 4F chassis with a comet pony. The body is one of @Knuckles 3D printed bodies, based on the Class 28 prototype with RWS modifications. It's been designed body wise, to be as close to how James would have looked in reality.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

Tender drive 4F chassis with a comet pony. The body is one of @Knuckles 3D printed bodies, based on the Class 28 prototype with RWS modifications. It's been designed body wise, to be as close to how James would have looked in reality.

Ah yes I've seen them on Shapeways, interesting that you went for tender drive, in my experience theye haven't always been the most controllable! 

3 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Ah yes I've seen them on Shapeways, interesting that you went for tender drive, in my experience theye haven't always been the most controllable! 

I wanted to retain that open space under James's boiler. I'd looked into the loco drive version, but it would have really eaten into that space.

4 minutes ago, Tom F said:

I wanted to retain that open space under James's boiler. I'd looked into the loco drive version, but it would have really eaten into that space.

That makes a lot of sense, how old is the drive mechanism? I do wonder sometimes if the newer Hornby ones perform better

51 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

That makes a lot of sense, how old is the drive mechanism? I do wonder sometimes if the newer Hornby ones perform better

Yeah, that's why I went with one of the later Hornby models from the 2000s.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:39, Sharky said:

The Track Plan looks good so far.
My only suggestion would be to add a crossover from the bottom shed road to the line above near the water tank.
It would make stabling locos from the Coal Stage to there a lot easier.

As for the good sidings down the bottom, would you have trains arriving in them or would it be local trips as part of the Yard Pilot's duties?

This would determine the need for either a double or single slip. Double if you plan to have trains arriving in there to be broken up. Single Slip if it's just going to be the domain of the Yard Pilot.

On a related note, is it stated anywhere what type signalling is used on the NWR or which other railway companies they drew inspiration from?
IE. Midland Lower Quadrant Semephores or standard BR MR region Upper Quadrants? 

In correspondence with a fan, Awdry said that the upper quadrant signalling was a remnant of Sir Topham Hatt's Swindon days - I believe this was in response to a question about how the signal in 'Flying Kipper' could have showed the line clear, having been forced down. I wonder if the question was the inspiration for 'Percy and the Signal?'

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

He's looking very smart.

Cheers Martin
Just a touch of light weathering to do, but yes... it's give me confidence with the Green and lining out, to do NWR No 3.

IMG_0483_(1).jpg.f69b0cfc5abd5299e6e4db993d66fa5f.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tom F said:

NWR No 6 'PERCY'
'An 0-4-0 saddletank engine of obscure antecedents. SIR TOPHAM HATT bought him second or third hand to help tide over a locomotive crisis (TE/40,41). Percy is believed to have been built by Avonside* of Bristol, but fitters at Crovan’s Gate have found components by Hunslet* of Leeds and other builders.
Appointed station pilot at Tidmouth in 1949 (TE/42,43), Percy was transferred to Knapford to assist in harbour reconstruction in 1955 (PSE/24,25), and has been in charge of freight traffic on the Ffarquhar Branch ever since.' W.Awdry 1987.

I don't know why but for some reason when I read that I had the voice of Ringo Starr in my head

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I don't know why but for some reason when I read that I had the voice of Ringo Starr in my head

45 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

For me, Johnny Morris

es grüßt 

pc

Ah, the generation gap :D

Johnny Morris for  me too...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Johnny Morris was ‘Animal Magic’ for me

So does this mean at 44 I’m still a whippersnapper :blink:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

Ah well, it’s Willie Rushton for me every time. :lol:

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Ah well, it’s Willie Rushton for me every time. :lol:

Me too, but only because he did the narration and voices for

250px-Trap_Door_The_Trap_Door_DVD.jpg.494e8a0a8c51c546ed11072866524495.jpg

Trapdoor :laugh:

I wonder if there is a downloadable version of the railways stories read by Willie Rushton and/or Johnny Morris that I could listen to in the car........because I would you know

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, back on topic.

Percy looks superb!

I’ve often thought of building Duck for my layout (for a bit of fun) 

Just a shame his livery is the ‘GWR’ lettering instead of ‘GREAT WESTERN’ 

But he would have to keep his face....because I’m a big kid!

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Anyway, back on topic.

Percy looks superb!

I’ve often thought of building Duck for my layout (for a bit of fun) 

Just a shame his livery is the ‘GWR’ lettering instead of ‘GREAT WESTERN’ 

But he would have to keep his face....because I’m a big kid!

Chris

It is interesting that Awdry makes it clear in IOS that Duck arrived in BR livery, and was subsequently repainted into GWR livery. 

So most likely when Duck arrived in 1956 he would have been black with an early crest.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Tom F said:

It is interesting that Awdry makes it clear in IOS that Duck arrived in BR livery, and was subsequently repainted into GWR livery. 

So most likely when Duck arrived in 1956 he would have been black with an early crest.

that’s very interesting

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tom F said:

Next up! NWR No 1!

As I’ll be depicting the following service (I’ve already obtained suitable kits for Annie and Clarabel).

19B556C6-0D77-46DD-9B61-856EB0251990.jpeg.de07be79778307e7acaceee4d12d3d29.jpeg

Is the first one a six-wheeler?!