3 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

With the stepped footplate are you planning to do the pre 1961 condition?

Yep, pre 1961 version, I also have a post 1961 version that I'll do in due course.

The layout will be depicted circa 1959.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Return service?

14 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Exactly my thoughts. Clarabel would always be at the other end at one point.

But in that case surely Thomas should be running bunker first!

Or does his branch come equipped with mini-turntables at each end?

15 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

But in that case surely Thomas should be running bunker first!

Or does his branch come equipped with mini-turntables at each end?

Depends which way he is facing. Ignoring the fact illustrations show the engines facing which ever way round that is convenient for the story, logic would suggest the engines face 'Ffarquhar' as the gradient is generally climbing from Knapford. It is my understanding that it was the preference for engines to face the gradient so the firebox is covered at all times on the gradient.

I will be depicting for operational purposes my engines generally facing Ffarquhar.

However, Awdry implies that Thomas works push-pull with Annie and Clarabel (Illustrations in Stepney the Bluebell Engines and Tramway Engines confirm this). Awdry however never operated his layout push-pull, and neither will I.  Thomas will be running bunker first on my layout when working down to Knapford (this too is depicted in illustrations).

The idea that the formation should be 'Thomas, Annie and Clarabel' I think is more a TV hangover. I honestly do not think it matters....as long as both coaches are present!

Edited by Tom F

Just now, Tom F said:

Depends which way he is facing. Ignoring the fact illustrations show the engines facing which ever way round that is convenient for the story, logic would suggest the engines face 'Ffarquhar' as the gradient is generally climbing from Knapford. It is my understanding that it was the preference for engines to face the gradient so the firebox is covered at all times on the gradient.

I will be depicting for operational purposes my engines generally facing Ffarquhar.

However, Awdry implies that Thomas works push-pull with Annie and Clarabel (Illustrations in Stepney the Bluebell Engines and Tramway Engines confirm this). Awdry however never operated his layout push-pull, and neither will I.  Thomas will be running bunker first on my layout when working down to Knapford (this too is depicted in illustrations).

There must be a turntable somewhere as i can't imagine that engines running from Knapford to Tidmouth would run on the mainline bunker first?

Knapford to Tidmouth must run in order for Thomas to be able to collect the special coach because the Express does not stop at Knapford.

Just now, Aire Head said:

There must be a turntable somewhere as i can't imagine that engines running from Knapford to Tidmouth would run on the mainline bunker first?

Knapford to Tidmouth must run in order for Thomas to be able to collect the special coach because the Express does not stop at Knapford.

I see no issue with Thomas running bunker first to Tidmouth. He's a tank engine, and generally speaking it make little difference.

There is no turntable at Ffarquhar or Knapford.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Makes sense, it's not a particularly long run either.

Most of the traffic off the branch destined for the mainline must be transferred off rather than run through directly. But if I remember rightly the special coach is specifically mentioned as bring picked up by Thomas at Tidmouth.

Is there any record of larger Locomotives using the branch?

Many branch lines didn't have a turntable. You don't need one when a locomotive is designed to run in both directions equally well which a tank engine is designed to do.

There was never a turntable at Ffarquhar, both the illustrations and IOS support this. Good example of tank engines running in reverse on the main line is on gradients such as Shap and the Lickey incline. Bank the trains to the top and come down the other side to start the operation again.
Not only that but you have the Stanier tanks, Fairburn and Standard tanks. All designed to run trains in either direction and that they did well.

In response to the question of larger locos being used there is a line in Tank Engine Thomas Again about waiting for James to pass with a goods train.

Love how people use wiki... Nowhere did the Rev. Awdry actually state what type of bus Bertie was (or Algy or Bertie for that matter) nor what Terence was. It also depends on what era you take the books to be written in as to what was around then too.

Unfortunately Rev. Awdry did contradict himself with the odd date here and there. As an example of this he stated that Henry's accident was in 1935. However he says that Thomas and Bertie had their race in 1948...... But that story came out before Henry's accident

29 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

There was never a turntable at Ffarquhar, both the illustrations and IOS support this. Good example of tank engines running in reverse on the main line is on gradients such as Shap and the Lickey incline. Bank the trains to the top and come down the other side to start the operation again.
Not only that but you have the Stanier tanks, Fairburn and Standard tanks. All designed to run trains in either direction and that they did well.

Neither do either of the Rev.'s own layouts of Ffarquhar.

30 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Love how people use wiki... Nowhere did the Rev. Awdry actually state what type of bus Bertie was (or Algy or Bertie for that matter) nor what Terence was. It also depends on what era you take the books to be written in as to what was around then too.

To be fair mate, it's the only even halfway-reliable information we have to go off on minor details like that.

• RMweb Premium

Other large engines to visit the brach (although they where during emergency working) Gordon came to pull Thomas from the mine although this was at the other end of the brach. Donald and Douglas also paid a visit to the branch when Thomas decided to renovate the station master’s house. I can imagine either of the Scottish twins where used for freight workings on the branch.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Neither do either of the Rev.'s own layouts of Ffarquhar.

To be fair mate, it's the only even halfway-reliable information we have to go off on minor details like that.

I'd still question that to be honest! Plus it is a minor detail but one that Rev. Awdry never clarified. There are plenty of websites out there with regards to the buses alone. Bertie could be a Regal or a Lion to name just two. For modelling it all depends on what you can get and what looks right or one that you are happy with.

13 minutes ago, Boco_D1 said:

Other large engines to visit the brach (although they where during emergency working) Gordon came to pull Thomas from the mine although this was at the other end of the brach. Donald and Douglas also paid a visit to the branch when Thomas decided to renovate the station master’s house. I can imagine either of the Scottish twins where used for freight workings on the branch.

The mine was half way along. I'd agree with the possibilities of the two twins being used for occasional freight workings as and when necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Models of Number 1 always look too long compared to the prototype pictures

Andi

When you say prototype pictures I presume you are referring to the illustrations.
E2s are fairly long and the majority of Thomas illustrations depict him too short.

LB&SCR_E2_class.jpg

There are also clear visual differences between between Thomas and regular E2s (splashers, rear buffer beam/running plate).

I'm planning to write my own article explaining these visual differences and how Thomas has been altered and rebuilt over the years at Crovan's Gate while I'm off work for Christmas.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Tom F said:

When you say prototype pictures I presume you are referring to the illustrations.
E2s are fairly long and the majority of Thomas illustrations depict him too short.

LB&SCR_E2_class.jpg

Yes, I accept the Awdry books as the definitive :)

I believe one of the Awdry-penned companion volumes state that Thomas was supposed to be an honest E2.     Also, Awdry's disagreement with Dalby is not entirely unknown.   I imagine both another member posting here would be able to verify the source, and that we are drifting greatly at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Good example of tank engines running in reverse on the main line is on gradients such as Shap and the Lickey incline. Bank the trains to the top and come down the other side to start the operation again.

While I accept the point I would also observe that banking engines returning to the bottom of a gradient and Stanier, Fairburn and Standard tanks are somewhat different to an E2 taking 3 coaches down a mainline bunker first! 

But yes I do agree that you are correct in saying that it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to run bunker first on the mainline.

3 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I believe one of the Awdry-penned companion volumes state that Thomas was supposed to be an honest E2.     Also, Awdry's disagreement with Dalby is not entirely unknown.   I imagine both another member posting here would be able to verify the source, and that we are drifting greatly at this point.

Dalby wasn't the original illustrator for Thomas it was Reginald Payne.

Apparently the rev wasn't too pleased at first that Thomas looked nothing like the model he had made for Christopher however Reginald Payne explained that he had based it off an E2 and this satisfied Awdry.

I have also heard that he was potentially going to be a 3F or a J50 at one point :dontknow: