2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I'd assume your planning that outgoing wagons would be collected on the way back?

Essentially yes, although the exceptions with Ffarquhar is the stone and ale traffic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corbs said:

Does it depend upon the orientation of the sidings at the station? e.g. If they are facing, then having them at the back makes sense, but if the sidings were trailing, then the front could make it easier to split from the train and shunt back into the yard.

Dependant also on the trackplan and your station limits for shunting too. If possible you'd want to move the least number of wagons into the siding. Main thing being visually sighting the shunter/guard during this period of work. Harder to see when moving a whole rake of wagons. Driver's would soon get an idea of siding lengths etc with experience but nothing really compares than to be able to visually see hand or lamp signals clearly

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

With my projects venturing into Narrow Gauge, and the Ffarquhar layout essentially on hold (there is little I can do until peco release the medium points) I've set up a thread for the various projects in the Kitbuilding/scratchbuilding area which can be found HERE.

• Like 1

That reminds me, since you already had a Duck, Oliver and BoCo prepared for the Tidmouth layout before it became Ffarquhar. Will you be utilising those three in any capacity? Awdry himself used Duck as a spare/'guest' engine on his own Ffarquhar, and it happened at least once in the books.

1 hour ago, Kumata said:

That reminds me, since you already had a Duck, Oliver and BoCo prepared for the Tidmouth layout before it became Ffarquhar. Will you be utilising those three in any capacity? Awdry himself used Duck as a spare/'guest' engine on his own Ffarquhar, and it happened at least once in the books.

Duck yes, the other two possibly not that much.

I've been going through this again- the whole thread makes for a fascinating read.  What struck me this time was how so many of the illustrations were based on existing Triang models!  I'd not really appreciated that before, but I suppose it's logical for the illustrators to have something to hand which could be posed and moved to get the right angles. 

At the risk of thread-drift, something similar is visible in the animated (and wonderful, horrible, haunting) part-animated, part-3D modelled "When the Wind Blows" from the 1980's.  There's a scene when The Bomb drops, and amidst all the destruction a train is seen being blown off a viaduct... it kept bothering me why it looked familiar, and after re-watching tonight (following reading this thread) I'm now pretty sure it's because the loco is a Hornby class 37- in the special features on the DVD you can see a whole load of model cars on the animators desk, so it would make sense if they used a readily-available model off the shelf to draw from.

Thread drift over- really looking forward to seeing how this layout progresses (I'm a narrow gauge enthusiast too, so equally excited to see the new developments).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Yay! Ffarquhuar is back!

Don't get too excited, there wont by any track laying until peco release their 'Bullhead' medium radius points, which will most likely be next year.

However, stock and buildings will be appearing over the next few months.....some sooner rather than later.....and yes, that is Ffarquhar box in situ.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Glad to see an update on Ffarquhar Tom. No.6 does look good shuffling wagons around! 

Cheers Neil.
The decision to not go DCC has also spurred me on. Adding a decoder to Percy was going to be hard work due to the lack of space. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

Great stuff Tom, so good to see this part of the island's railways back. How's Thomas coming along?

Alastair

Indeed. And what about Daisy? (Would ask about Mavis as well but I think I may have asked about her before and I forgot when in the story timeline Tom is modelling.)

• RMweb Gold

I only asked about Thomas because just at the point at which Tom split the two threads, Thomas was looking very promising.......

Regards,

Alastair

Edited by A Murphy
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

I only asked about Thomas because just at the point at which Tom split the two threads, Thomas was looking very promising.......

Regards,

Alastair

I'm going to start cleaning up the body work, plus adding the buffers, lamp irons and handrails this weekend in preparation for the first coat of primer this weekend.

Actually I need to add the brake gear too.

• Like 1