51 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Holes were cut into the side to stop overloading but you wouldn't see that in the 1950s setting for this model.

No, entirely agree.  My point was that you shouldn't see these on that traffic because of the potential for overloading.

• Agree 1

Morning Tom, 

LMS built medium (3 plank) goods - Built unfitted with 2 shoe Morton brakes, or fitted with clasp brakes on the "J" hanger chassis. The Ratio or Parkside kits - (PC10 in the old Parkside range but it appears to have been dropped and the old Ratio kit moved into the Parkside range ?) are the unfitted version but can be converted to the fitted as built version by cross kitting with the Parkside J hanger chassis. Those later vac braked by BR had 4 shoe Morton brakes.  

For BR built medium goods (steel bodied) - Parkside PC45, all built fitted, the first 2800 with clasp brakes (as per the kit), the last 1200 with 4 shoe Morton brakes.  

The GWR had two 3 plank wagons with diagonal strapping and a central sack truck door, ostensibly for carrying DX containers. One was photographed by Don Rowland at Millerhill in 1963 (sans container) so it went past Sodor at least once :-) (W36459 and W36460). 

No info on RCH 3 planks, sorry. (I've never looked !)

Edited by Wheatley
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Morning Tom, 

LMS built medium (3 plank) goods - Built unfitted with 2 shoe Morton brakes, or fitted with clasp brakes on the "J" hanger chassis. The Ratio or Parkside kits - (PC10 in the old Parkside range but it appears to have been dropped and the old Ratio kit moved into the Parkside range ?) are the unfitted version but can be converted to the fitted as built version by cross kitting with the Parkside J hanger chassis. Those later vac braked by BR had 4 shoe Morton brakes.  

For BR built medium goods (steel bodied) - Parkside PC45, all built fitted, the first 2800 with clasp brakes (as per the kit), the last 1200 with 4 shoe Morton brakes.  

The GWR had two 3 plank wagons with diagonal strapping and a central sack truck door, ostensibly for carrying DX containers. One was photographed by Don Rowland at Millerhill in 1963 (sans container) so it went past Sodor at least once :-) (W36459 and W36460). 

No info on RCH 3 planks, sorry. (I've never looked !)

Afternoon Wheatley (shame we never got our yearly catch up at York this year!)

I'll start with the LMS ones I think. The four plank sounds interesting and I'll have a look out for that one. Is Bachmann's unfitted variant the same as ratios?

8 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Is Bachmann's unfitted variant the same as ratios?

Sort of. The body is fine (and blends in well with the Parkside and Ratio versions) but a quick google suggests that they all have the 4 shoe chassis with vac cylinder. Mine had its chassis replaced with a Parkside one years ago, which is why I'm not sure ! I like Medfits, I have at least 8 so far :-)

Yes I missed our natter and annual distraction of IF while he's trying to shunt ! Next year hopefully.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Sort of. The body is fine (and blends in well with the Parkside and Ratio versions) but a quick google suggests that they all have the 4 shoe chassis with vac cylinder.

In theory, could you just snip off the offending parts?

4 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

That's what I did :biggrin_mini2:

Just make sure you snip off the right side!

haha...plenty of spare Vac cylinders then!

I'm guessing it's Morton Gear, i.e brake shoes on one side only.

15 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

haha...plenty of spare Vac cylinders then!

I'm guessing it's Morton Gear, i.e brake shoes on one side only.

Yeah should be on the side with the clutch.

The 5 Plank below is one of mine which uses a Bachmann chassis with an Airfix body.

IMG_20200627_180858.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Really appreciate the advice regarding stone wagons.

I've therefore ordered 3 of these (at £9.50 each it seemed a good price with Bachmann's current pricing).

resize.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Sunday morning  musings.

It's no secret that my favourite class of

0-6-0 tender loco, is the Caledonian 812 (for obvious reasons) and I'm very much looking forward to the Bachmann model being released (having been commissioned by 'Rails of Sheffield'.

Ffarquhar is set in the Autumn of 1959, which so happens to be during the period that Book 15 'The Twin Engines' set.

For some reason (possibly to add a bit of colour) illustrator John T. Kenney gave the twins (on arrival) a semi attempt at BR mixed traffic livery (notice the lack of boiler band lining). As far as I'm aware, 812s never received lining, all being plain black.

As my intention was depict the North Western Region in a real world sense, I was going to depict Douglas (working in with 'The Fellgoods') in unlined black (a little grubby) with a No. 10 on the tender.

However nostalgia is tempting me and I'd considered lining.....decisions.....

4099A4F9-5A76-4686-BD56-B3338609AF18.jpeg

CDAF7662-8122-4F56-8568-E0844000ED2C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Sunday morning  musings.

It's no secret that my favourite class of

0-6-0 tender loco, is the Caledonian 812 (for obvious reasons) and I'm very much looking forward to the Bachmann model being released (having been commissioned by 'Rails of Sheffield'.

Ffarquhar is set in the Autumn of 1959, which so happens to be during the period that Book 15 'The Twin Engines' set.

For some reason (possibly to add a bit of colour) illustrator John T. Kenney gave the twins (on arrival) a semi attempt at BR mixed traffic livery (notice the lack of boiler band lining). As far as I'm aware, 812s never received lining, all being plain black.

As my intention was depict the North Western Region in a real world sense, I was going to depict Douglas (working in with 'The Fellgoods') in unlined black (a little grubby) with a No. 10 on the tender.

However nostalgia is tempting me and I'd considered lining.....decisions.....

I'd copy the Kenney picture if it were me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

my intention was depict the North Western Region in a real world sense

nostalgia is tempting me and I'd considered lining

These are the two points you need to reconcile, so the question is, can the semi-BR lining be reasonably explained in a real-world sense (to your own satisfaction)? Is there any reason why their previous controller might have had them lined that way?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What we see in the picture is the painters just putting the finishing touches to the Midland-style tender number. Given the geography, my guess is one's an ex-Midland man, the other ex-LNWR, so they struck a deal...

That's definitely pots of red and cream paint there - the third one is presumably grey.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What we see in the picture is the painters just putting the finishing touches to the Midland-style tender number. Given the geography, my guess is one's an ex-Midland man, the other ex-LNWR, so they struck a deal...

That's definitely pots of red and cream paint there - the third one is presumably grey.

Unfortunately they are shown as having arrived with the lining while still having BR logo. Otherwise it would be a nice explanation that it was added on Sodor:

latest?cb=20160225215352

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In regards to the lining on the twins Donald should also have 57646 and 57647 for Douglas painted on their sides.  But the engine’s ‘lost’ their numbers so somewhere along the line a pot of black paint has come out. Maybe the lining was part of the plan to cover up which engine should have arrived, so it didn’t look like a deliberate attempt to cover the numbers up with a splat of black paint.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Boco_D1 said:

In regards to the lining on the twins Donald should also have 57646 and 57647 for Douglas painted on their sides.  But the engine’s ‘lost’ their numbers so somewhere along the line a pot of black paint has come out. Maybe the lining was part of the plan to cover up which engine should have arrived, so it didn’t look like a deliberate attempt to cover the numbers up with a splat of black paint.

So the lining would make it obvious that black paint has been used to cover up the numbers. Though even without the lining the fresh black paint would stand out like a sore thumb

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, fastforwardtt said:

No, probably not seen as they are based on the TV series. Plenty of more realistic versions available from manufacturers out there.