15 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

They do look quite the part on Cwm sets them off a treat.

lovely models.

Cheers 

Ade

Cheers Ade

Well, No. 1 has had it's first coat of primer. I've gone over a couple of patches with the sanding sticks, and the odd bit of filler around the buffer beam. 

Very tempted to get him finished in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile revisiting one of my favourites this afternoon (1957 First Edition).

IMG_1682_(1).jpeg.a6c9ad1bdae4c8dad421ab096c8c0542.jpeg

This cover illustration has always convinced me that Henry has a Fowler high sided tender! :smoke:

44594 with high-sided tender

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

Thanks to the help from a friend yesterday, new baseboard tops now fitted increasing the width by a foot.

244FEEE7-7A5D-49DF-96E0-C8813CEE6415.jpeg.afb6bf64b186bc5547e0c39aae18cb68.jpeg 

Thomas is also ready for his topcoat.

2B94D58A-FA92-44E3-8936-7C7D6D306F8B.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Early one morning....

DSC07470.jpeg

Amazing Tom the quality is so good there initially you don’t notice there is an absence of any track or groundscape.

Liking those baseboards they do look wide! What is the width?

Cheers 

Ade

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Amazing Tom the quality is so good there initially you don’t notice there is an absence of any track or groundscape.

Liking those baseboards they do look wide! What is the width?

Cheers 

Ade

Cheers Ade

The baseboards are now around three and a half foot in width. The layout now stands away from the wall so that operating can be done from both sides.

When you see all three together, you get a real sense of the relative sizes of each. Some trains on the branch must take a leisurely pace as neither 6 nor 7 look like they achieve a high top speed. Also, based on the size of the "regular" fleet, does it mean no. 9 and no. 10 are the largest locos the branch can safely take? Certainly wouldn't get no. 4 up there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Csalem said:

When you see all three together, you get a real sense of the relative sizes of each. Some trains on the branch must take a leisurely pace as neither 6 nor 7 look like they achieve a high top speed. Also, based on the size of the "regular" fleet, does it mean no. 9 and no. 10 are the largest locos the branch can safely take? Certainly wouldn't get no. 4 up there.

No. 4 has traversed Thomas's branch, as far as Toryreck Lead Mines in 'Down the Mine'.

4 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Well, isn't that the entire point of Wrong Road?

True, granted that was on the Brendam Branch.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, Csalem said:

My thoughts on the matter are if anything requires any speed on the Branch its generally in the hands of number 1. Any goods train coming down the line seem likely to be short and unfitted so therefore 6 and 7 are perfectly fine.

I'd also say that 2 and 5 would be perfectly fine to go up the branch.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

I'd also say that 2 and 5 would be perfectly fine to go up the branch.

Agreed. It’s only really 3 and 4 that would be ultimately ruled out for working the full route.

No. 5 is documented as working a goods train (as noted in Thomas and Bertie at Elsbridge).

I’d be interested regarding Bo-Co, what RA were the Class 28s?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Surprisingly, they were rated at RA6.

Cheers @RedGemAlchemist

Possibly workable, seen as the Brendam Branch must have been at least RA6.

I suspect after Gordon’s venture down the branch in Main Line Engines, the structural engineers will have been inspecting the bridges the following day! 

• Like 2

That reminds me. Back when this was originally a Tidmouth project you posted some WIP locos, BoCo, Oliver, James and Henry IIRC. Assuming you still have these in your possession, and taking into account what you plan to build for Ffarquhar, it seems to me you'd only be two short of the full roster. Not that I'm suggesting anything.

Edited by Kumata

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Cheers @RedGemAlchemist

Possibly workable, seen as the Brendam Branch must have been at least RA6.

I suspect after Gordon’s venture down the branch in Main Line Engines, the structural engineers will have been inspecting the bridges the following day! 

Might explain why he spent the night at the docks to be harassed by Bill and Ben the next day. The engineers may have wanted to inspect everything before letting him back. :)

39 minutes ago, Csalem said:

Might explain why he spent the night at the docks to be harassed by Bill and Ben the next day. The engineers may have wanted to inspect everything before letting him back. :)

"Do we put him on a ship or can we send him back down"

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Kumata said:

That reminds me. Back when this was originally a Tidmouth project you posted some WIP locos, BoCo, Oliver and James IIRC. Assuming you still have these in your possession, and taking into account what you plan to build for Ffarquhar, it seems to me you'd only be two short of the full roster. Not that I'm suggesting anything.

I would still love to see a Tidmouth at this level of quality tbh. But Ffarquhar is looking fantastic so far.
And I agree, you should do the entire roster @Hawin Dooiey, with this attention to detail it'd be amazing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments.

Maybe one day I'll depict all the fleet. In fairness, as I'm depicting 1959 on the branch, I wont be utilising Oliver and BoCo etc.

At some point, I'll see about moving forward into 1960-61 and depict Daisy and Mavis, but that is some time off yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Maybe one day I'll depict all the fleet. In fairness, as I'm depicting 1959 on the branch, I wont be utilising Oliver and BoCo etc.

At some point, I'll see about moving forward into 1960-61 and depict Daisy and Mavis, but that is some time off yet.

Will we see a Coffee Pot though?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

I’m afraid not.

But why!? :cry:

In all honesty Awdry literally leaves it at "Vertical Boiler" as a description which isn't helpful.

And there is so much to cover already I think this is going to be spectacular.

5 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

But why!? :cry:

In all honesty Awdry literally leaves it at "Vertical Boiler" as a description which isn't helpful.

And there is so much to cover already I think this is going to be spectacular.

Doesn't do a lot for me if I'm honest. :lol:

I personally feel the last coffee pot would have gone when Toby arrived in 1951. My own head canon is that the loco failed for the last time, so when Hatt was on Holiday in East Anglia, he was already on the look out for another engine (as it was too much for Thomas doing the passenger, goods and quarry traffic).

• Like 3
  • Agree 2