• RMweb Gold

That does sound rather fascinating, I'd love to give it a go. With my Mk.1 timetables I cludged it by taking distance between A and Z, then average speed between stops, then number of stops x dwell time per stop. So it's not terribly scientific but was a short hand method of figuring out how to get trains to meet up at certain junctions/connections, or depart at specific times.

• Like 2

Long ago, when people built models of railway systems, rather than photorealistic models of individual stations, and model railway magazines had solid, informative articles rather than lots of pretty pictures of how to plug a DCC chip into the latest niche r-t-r, descriptions of model timetabling techniques were something of a hardy perennial. Anyone interested in timetable development could do worse than find a big pile of back issues from the 60s or 70s and have a flick through. Shouldn't take more than a dozen selected at random to find something of relevance :D. I've got a typical (and, IIRC, pretty comprehensive) article in a c1980 Model Railway Constructor Annual. Better still, I'm fairly sure I know where it is, and it's reasonably accessible. PM me if anyone wants a scan.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I watched the Reverand Awdry running his model of the branch at Gloucester Show many years ago. Trains were run at a very sedate pace, reflecting his ideas of life on Sodor.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Corbs said:

That does sound rather fascinating, I'd love to give it a go. With my Mk.1 timetables I cludged it by taking distance between A and Z, then average speed between stops, then number of stops x dwell time per stop. So it's not terribly scientific but was a short hand method of figuring out how to get trains to meet up at certain junctions/connections, or depart at specific times.

That's exactly what the graph shows you. Distance on the vertical axis, time on the horizontal axis. Don't have any lines crossing on single tracks other than at passing loops and don't have one train following another until the one in front has cleared the section. The graph makes this very easy to visualise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

To be far Corbs that’s roughly how I did part of it myself. Once I had worked out where train A would be it was a case of when and where train B would start and cross it with roughly a minute or two for station stops.

• Like 1

Personally I find it all fascinating @BritishGypsum4

Especially because I got to cheat when I did the timetable for my project as it was on an existing mainline and replacing an already existing station so the timetable pretty much already existed.

So it's great to see what your guys methodology is.

I'm also debating a Suderian project in the future although I was thinking maybe Wellsworth but that's a long way off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/08/2020 at 10:11, St Enodoc said:

Yes, six and half-a-dozen I think. I start with the graph to establish the basics, including crossings and other conflicts, then make up the spreadsheet. I do any further adjustments with the spreadsheet alone, noting that I run my  layout with a sequence rather than a timetable so that makes those changes simpler.

Obviously I didn't create this from scratch but I drew it out from the actual service timetable to illustrate a talk on timetabling a couple of years ago. I think it shows what I mean.

1952_summer_service_timetable_kingsbridge_branch_control_graph.jpg.0eee33fcfdcaa4097186321ad8e7bb92.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ribird said:

May I ask why No 8 has a red nameplate on one side, and black on the other? The silver handrails do really suit these two! Might have to do the same when I make No. 8 and No. 11

In illustrations I’ve seen them depicted as both red and black, so went with both for variation.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

No real modelling updates, sometimes I think we all need a break.

I am looking forward to working on a bigger gauge this weekend though! 

IMG_7075.jpeg

It’ll be a cracking day for you. I am looking forward to my diner turn next weekend. Nothing better than finishing work and knowing that you have a turn.

Lovely photo of Wells mate

1 hour ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

It’ll be a cracking day for you. I am looking forward to my diner turn next weekend. Nothing better than finishing work and knowing that you have a turn.

Lovely photo of Wells mate

It will be good to be down again, but I envy you being on the footplate. Which engines are you rostered on this month?

Seem to have lost my modelling mojo at the moment, so this thread may go a bit quiet for a bit. I tend to go at things with a 100% passion and then burn myself out a bit. A downside also when your hobby becomes your job (I'm about to do some work for a client on the workbench).

A rest to this thread and my own modelling may do me a bit of good.

Train now departing....but hopefully returning soon.

IMG_1092.jpeg.cf09d109fb0c38ff137176490206c280.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 17:11, Hawin Dooiey said:

Well, I may have acquired a layout! 

Formerly 'Humber Dock' built by my friend Ian, it will soon become 'Arlesburgh Dock'.

humber-dock-dusk4.jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-28_at_18_55_12.png

img_4263.jpg

img_4260.jpg

That looks very atmospheric . The pic of the Austerity reminds me of scene in book where Thomas and Bertie are racing . Its a town scene  with Bertie sitting at lights and Thomas chasing past on a bridge behind .

17 minutes ago, Legend said:

That looks very atmospheric . The pic of the Austerity reminds me of scene in book where Thomas and Bertie are racing . Its a town scene  with Bertie sitting at lights and Thomas chasing past on a bridge behind .

I know what you mean. That will be this one (at Elsbridge on Thomas's Branch)

maxresdefault.jpg.a390bca7c26c81a03a688c80ee468e18.jpg

• Like 4